Star Wars - Some setting exploration

Nuclear Platypus said:
But those ideas lead towards the shortcomings of the EU novels - little new stuff like yet another attempt to bring back Palpatine, Thrawn, etc. or a new version of a Death Star like the Sun Crusher or Emperor's Eye (?).
Not necessarily. Putting the setting in a place where you can explore the same broad themes is good, I think. Necessary, even, for the game to have that "Star Wars" feel.

But yeah; trying to completely replicate the exact situation, revive the Emperor, etc.--probably not up my alley. I do really like the idea of a Galactic political scene in which there are lots of smaller empire/republics, rather than big Galaxy-spanning ones. I like the idea of the Jedi being splintered by many interpretations, philosophies and heresies.

But that's trying to explore some new ground. Where I want it to be similar to Star Wars is in broad themes. Good vs. evil. The dark side and the light side of the Force. Swashbuckling spacefaring adventure. Political manuevering going on behind the scenes that indirectly (yet very powerfully) impacts what's happening to the PCs. Etc.

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
So will the PCs explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations or just boldly go where no one has gone before?

:D

I'm sure the serial numbers can be filed off of most fantasy adventures and dropped into Star Wars with a bit of modifying (note: I'm hardly a Greyhawk guru).

Keep on the Borderlands might end up as a space station.
Temple of Elemental Evil as a would be Sith / dark Jedi stronghold, the nodes as separate planets
Scourge of the Slavelords on Tantooine or even someplace like Coruscant.
OOo! and the Barrier Peaks adventure could introduce sci fi... er... nevermind.

Heck most (if not all) Westerns could be placed in the Star Wars universe but that's also stating the obvious.

Nuclear Platypus said:
So will the PCs explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations or just boldly go where no one has gone before?
None of the above! I'm actually not much of a Star Trek fan, but I'm surprised that it took this long for someone to make that reference given my continued claims of striking off in a bold new direction. :heh:

Yeah, coming up with plots isn't the hard part. Coming up with a coherent setting is a bit more difficult. Maybe it's a pipe dream; it's not like closing plot holes or maintaining setting coherency was ever a concern of Lucas', but there you have it. :p

Rhun

First Post
Nuclear Platypus said:
I'm sure the serial numbers can be filed off of most fantasy adventures and dropped into Star Wars with a bit of modifying (note: I'm hardly a Greyhawk guru).

Keep on the Borderlands might end up as a space station.
Temple of Elemental Evil as a would be Sith / dark Jedi stronghold, the nodes as separate planets
Scourge of the Slavelords on Tantooine or even someplace like Coruscant.

Those are actually some pretty fine ideas. I like!

ssampier

First Post
call me crazy...

I would go with your New Republic idea. I like the idea of smaller vassal states or principalities. Prehaps one state trades with the Sith Lords so there's a bit of a civil war going on; brother against brother, Jedi against Jedi.

I would eliminate the "Master-apprentice" idea of Sith: who says there cannot be more than two?

Wraith Form

Explorer
J-Dawg said:
I got sent a lot of ideas, which I'm going to post here to see if they shake some more out of the tree. Muchas gracias a BiggusGeekus for the original list of splinter Jedi Orders.
Where is this list? I'd love to read more of THAT ^ thread, too, if it's....err, "threaded" somewhere....

In fact, I'm in love with B-Geek's list.....I think the ideas are really pretty darn cool, and want to see more!

Last edited:

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
A little off-topic, but you might want to check out the new Star Wars: Legacy comic starting up this month or next, set 150 years after the Original Trilogy.

Matthew L. Martin

Kanegrundar

Explorer
J-Dawg, thanks for this thread. I've been working on a sci-fantasy campaign (using D20 Modern, though) in which I'll have a scattered and fragmented Jedi Order with various sects with differing views of how the Force should be used. This thread has given me a lot of ideas.

Matthew L. Martin said:
A little off-topic, but you might want to check out the new Star Wars: Legacy comic starting up this month or next, set 150 years after the Original Trilogy.
Yeah, I heard about that. Razzin-frazzin Dark Horse done went and did most of my ideas, it looks like. :p

Anyway, yeah--I've got Legacies #0 on my calendar; I'll be sure and pick it up. It was supposed to come out last week, but it looks like it got delayed.

Remove ads