Star Wars: The Clone Wars Animated Series - Who's Watching?

Arnwyn

First Post
Is this the same series that appeared on DVD a few years ago? Short 6-minute episodes in the first series, and slightly longer (I believe 12-minute) episodes in the second series, with a more coherent storyline? If so, I have to say I really enjoyed them both.
No. It's a brand new TV series.

I decided to skip it. I'll see it when it hits DVD.

GlassJaw

Hero
I'm enjoying it.

I'm not a fan of the hokey comedic relief style of the newer Star Wars movies - Jar Jar, the droid voice ("Roger, roger") - but for some reason, I'm able to ignore it when watching the show.

And before anyone mentions it, I know the original trilogy had a fair degree of campiness and humor. But the Jar Jar/droid-humor feels quite different. The humor of the original trilogy always seem to fit and didn't take away from the scene or the story being told.

To me, there's no need for the droids to be portrayed as bumbling idiots. The problem is that it doesn't fit. Dooku and Greivous are very imposing and hearing the droid voice totally breaks the mood of those characters. At least the commando droids are cool.

frankthedm

First Post
I don't get it? Are you saying there some kind of anti-Asian (Chinese?) influence? Umm, no, I don't get that all.

Seriously?

:-S
Yes, I am serious. The heartbeat I saw the commando droids eye design, the old WW2 anti Japanese propaganda posters sprang to my mind.

img227.imageshack.us/img227/7227/img13da8.jpg

Last edited:

Rykion

Explorer
Yes, I am serious. The heartbeat I saw the commando droids eye design, the old WW2 anti Japanese propaganda posters sprang to my mind.

img227.imageshack.us/img227/7227/img13da8.jpg
It's the same eye design as the standard battledroid. It just sticks out because these droids are dark with light up eyes. I suspect the nefarious reason for using the design on the commandos was so that they could be easily spotted as droids. B-) <- That's much closer to your propaganda image. :eek: Strangely, I'm not assuming the worst of ENWorld. :angel:

Steel_Wind

Legend
They had a nice arc revolving around a Confed super-weapon, the Malevolence, with Y-Wing looking bombers trying to take it out.

Yeah that was a surprisingly good story arc as it resolved over three or four episodes. Watched back to back? A quite sophisticated story arc for an animated show and one where the target audience was clearly assumed throughout to NOT be kids. They totally reeled me in with that mult-episode approach.

Hence, this thread.

Styracosaurus

Explorer
I really underestimated this cartoon show.

The Clone Wars movie introduced Anikan's padawan, but it was about thirty minutes too long. Should have been a story arc for the TV show.

Clone Wars is an excellent TV show.
They are taking on stormtroopers as people, which we already know will end in tragedy. We are seeing how the clones wish that they were true individuals. Then you can see how the military-minded clones could be both likable, yet turn to serve Palpatine without questioning the morality.

Seeing the jedi befriend and teach the clones is both disturbing and full of pathos. The Jedi still treat the clones as cannon fodder to a great extent and yet extend friendship to them. Very deep for a cartoon.

Notice how the members of the Republic do not fight the war. They use an enslaved race (of one person) as meat shields. The Jedi are defending the Republic for what it could be rather than what it is.

The cartoon is a good.

Remove ads