Star Wars The Most Overused Tropes?

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
That's just standard Imperial architecture.
The Empire certainly embraced it, but it was present on Naboo (in the duel with Maul at the end of TPM), Geonosis (in AotC, and not exactly shafts, but high vertical drops in the factory), Coruscant (in AotC, more vertical drops in the speeder chase), and Bespin (in ESB, in the duel in Cloud City). Star Wars films are not the best for the acrophobes.

(which I'm sure someone would label "problematic", but I find to absurd to take seriously enough to warrant the label).
To be problematic Hutts would need to be real, and/or coded as if a real-life ethnicity or culture or the like.

Which they aren't (unlike a lot of SW stuff). You might sort of make a fairly big stretch and claim they were Arab-coded, but you have to work pretty hard, esp. in more recent portrayals.
Or the stun setting on blasters, which, as demonstrated on Leia right at the beginning of the original movie, is big, wide, presumably unblockable rings.
It's totally blockable.

Jedi block it repeatedly in Clone Wars, Rebels, and there's an entire part of one of the Legends episodes where Ahsoka Tano learns to block super-good by being shot at by a bunch of Clone Troopers with blasters set to stun. So that's been extremely well-covered by the animated series.

Shotguns would be completely trivial to Jedi - they've got precognition and telekinesis. That's the basic "All Jedi have this" loadout. Deflecting extremely light projectiles which have far less kinetic energy than a normal human punch (look it up if you don't believe me - that's why even a child can handle the uncompensated recoil of a 12ga - I used to use one at 10 for example, and I was so small at 10 that when my dad recently looked at a picture of me at that age he thought I was 7 or 8 lol - I got fairly tall around 14-16), would not tax them in any way. They'd just use the Force Neo-style rather than using their lightsabers. Pretty sure at least one of the cartoons features a Jedi Force-deflecting a projectile weapon.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Hell, just throw a grenade at/near them. Or an unwrapped package of high explosives, of some sort. Hit with Lightsabre = BOOM!

Did the EU include much of the cybernetic replacements = dehumanizing schtick?

Sort of on the cybernetic thing if one had heavy cybernetics or poor quality cybernetics.

Wasn't heavily pushed though.

Hell, just throw a grenade at/near them. Or an unwrapped package of high explosives, of some sort. Hit with Lightsabre = BOOM!
Again, all Jedi have telekinesis and precognition. That's why tactics like those generally don't work. Nor does firing rockets at them, usually. This particularly often comes up in the videogames (some of which, like Fallen Order, are canon). You really don't want to be throwing grenades at a psychic dude with telekinesis though. That's peak "bad idea" territory. A hidden explosive or an explosive that detonates a few meters out but has a massive blast is much more of a problem for Jedi (artillery would be an example of the latter).

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
To be problematic Hutts would need to be real, and/or coded as if a real-life ethnicity or culture or the like.

Which they aren't (unlike a lot of SW stuff). You might sort of make a fairly big stretch and claim they were Arab-coded, but you have to work pretty hard, esp. in more recent portrayals.

It's totally blockable.

Jedi block it repeatedly in Clone Wars, Rebels, and there's an entire part of one of the Legends episodes where Ahsoka Tano learns to block super-good by being shot at by a bunch of Clone Troopers with blasters set to stun. So that's been extremely well-covered by the animated series.

Shotguns would be completely trivial to Jedi - they've got precognition and telekinesis. That's the basic "All Jedi have this" loadout. Deflecting extremely light projectiles which have far less kinetic energy than a normal human punch (look it up if you don't believe me - that's why even a child can handle the uncompensated recoil of a 12ga - I used to use one at 10 for example, and I was so small at 10 that when my dad recently looked at a picture of me at that age he thought I was 7 or 8 lol - I got fairly tall around 14-16), would not tax them in any way. They'd just use the Force Neo-style rather than using their lightsabers. Pretty sure at least one of the cartoons features a Jedi Force-deflecting a projectile weapon.

Jedi precognition isn't infallible and the Jedi can't block the amount of incoming pellets. They can block things like slugthrowers.

In canon anti Jedi weapons include acid grenades, RPG material AoE stuff, old EU scatter guns, thermal detonator, sufficiently large explosions and suicide vests with proton cores on them so if you lose a duel the resulting explosion takes out the Jedi.

Cad Bane in canon specializes in hunting them as well.

Jedi can't block the amount of incoming pellets
There's absolutely no post-EU deletion canon to back this claim up, and plenty of canon that shows it's wrong, including High Republic stuff where Jedi force-deflect shrapnel and so on.

It's a bit of old-EU bollocks from the same bollocks-mongers as "Jedi can't stop a pistol because they'd just melt the bullets!".

Anything old-EU needs to be disregarded until recanonized. Especially as a lot of it was never even close to canon and often directly contradicted by other old-EU sources.

Gas and acid/liquids should work pretty well against Jedi as very few Jedi show much ability to control either - there are specific Jedi who can - Elzar Mann for example in the High Republic books can deal with gas and liquids, but a lot of other Jedi in the same books cannot (and Mann has a sort of sea-centric vision of the Force, which probably helps). Thermal detonators are "sufficiently large explosions" so yes those are a real problem.

Some force-users can also deal with flame - Grogu can, for example, and he's a child (though seemingly very powerful).

Basically the only good ways to defeat Jedi are:

1) Big explosions.

2) Surprise attacks - they have precognition but it's very short and doesn't seem to reliably work with stuff like traps/mines.

3) Wildly outnumbering them - most Jedi can only deflect so many blaster bolts for so long.

Anything else might or might not work based on the specific Jedi involved, so you're taking a risk unless you are familiar with their specific abilities and they're not the sort that would hold something back.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
There's absolutely no post-EU deletion canon to back this claim up, and plenty of canon that shows it's wrong, including High Republic stuff where Jedi force-deflect shrapnel and so on.

It's a bit of old-EU bollocks from the same bollocks-mongers as "Jedi can't stop a pistol because they'd just melt the bullets!".

Anything old-EU needs to be disregarded until recanonized. Especially as a lot of it was never even close to canon and often directly contradicted by other old-EU sources.

Gas and acid/liquids should work pretty well against Jedi as very few Jedi show much ability to control either - there are specific Jedi who can - Elzar Mann for example in the High Republic books can deal with gas and liquids, but a lot of other Jedi in the same books cannot (and Mann has a sort of sea-centric vision of the Force, which probably helps). Thermal detonators are "sufficiently large explosions" so yes those are a real problem.

Some force-users can also deal with flame - Grogu can, for example, and he's a child (though seemingly very powerful).

Basically the only good ways to defeat Jedi are:

1) Big explosions.

2) Surprise attacks - they have precognition but it's very short and doesn't seem to reliably work with stuff like traps/mines.

3) Wildly outnumbering them - most Jedi can only deflect so many blaster bolts for so long.

Anything else might or might not work based on the specific Jedi involved, so you're taking a risk unless you are familiar with their specific abilities and they're not the sort that would hold something back.
Well it depends on how much plot armr any particular Jedi has. The acid grenades are canon iirc. Basically the Jedi blocks them and gets coated in acid.

Jedi aren't invincible is the main point they got gunned down in Order 66 fine that's another way of doing it. Overload their blocking ability.

Individual Jedi are more skilled or know techniques others don't so it's not universal.

Theor precognition I'd based on string emotions so detecting inorganics traps can be rough.

The Clones had no malice towards the Jedi hence why most didn't detect Order 66. The can't detect droids thoughts either.

Theor precognition I'd based on string emotions so detecting inorganics traps can be rough.
That's not canon.
The Clones had no malice towards the Jedi hence why most didn't detect Order 66. The can't detect droids thoughts either.
The former may be true but the latter proves they don't rely on emotions to have precognition, because they're very good at deflecting droid blaster bolts - possibly better than humans. The lack of malice was important not because of precognition but because of general Jedi mind-reading/emotion-sensing.

The acid grenade only worked in that instance because of reverse plot-armour - i.e. The Idiot Ball - for some reason Darth Vader lightsaber-blocked a grenade (which would actually have been even dumber with some explosive grenades!), instead of pushing it away, which makes zero sense. It's bad writing - they should have had the grenade detonate before it got to Vader, throwing a shaped blast of acid at him, which wouldn't have required reverse plot-armour. Or had the acid not be in a grenade, but something it made sense to block.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
That's not canon.

The former may be true but the latter proves they don't rely on emotions to have precognition, because they're very good at deflecting droid blaster bolts - possibly better than humans.

The acid grenade only worked in that instance because of reverse plot-armour - i.e. The Idiot Ball - for some reason Darth Vader lightsaber-blocked a grenade, instead of pushing it away, which makes zero sense. It's bad writing - they should have had the grenade detonate before it got to Vader, throwing a shaped blast of acid at him, which wouldn't have required reverse plot-armour.

Well we saw it onscreen with the Clones gunning down the Jedi and they didn't se se it could.i g.

You also see Kylo fooling Snoke who was "reading" mind. They can use the Force to block blaster bolts but their precognition isn't perfect along with mind reading etc.

They can only sense surface thoughts, strong emotions and can't sense drouds thoughts all canon.

These tricks worked in the EU just providing examples where they don't contradict each other.

The main point is Jedi aren't infallible and Palpatibes precognition didn't work so well either.

Neither did Anakins. Their visions are still open to interpreting and a skilled person can deflect their mind reading ability.

Even the most powerful ones aren't infallible. Killing Jedi are harder but not impossible.

I think it's canon where Vader asks a cline about an order 66 applying to him. Even he's not immune to overloading his ability to deflect bolts.

So yeah if you have to hunt/kill Jedi there's various ways to increase your odds it seems.

Mando didn't get chopped to pieces by Ahsoka and she's very good at carving up Mandalorians.

Remove ads