• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars vs D&D playtest!

breschau

First Post
First off, this is just late night silly time fun. Don't panic.

Second, I know the systems are different. But I wanted to see how the "powered" pregens performed again the Jedi. With their force powers being per encounter and some of the trained bits of Use the Force, I thought they would match up fairly well.

Third, I'm using the game terms that apply to the character, i.e. attacks on the dwarf are against her AC, attacks on the Jedi are to his Reflex Defense. This gives a huge advantage to the D&D characters, but... well, you'll see.

Fourth, this is not an optimal Jedi build, not meant to take out either one of these pregen characters. I rolled the Jedi up just because and went for the best use in a Saga game at first level without being cheesey (no Skill Focus: Use the Force, etc).

At the bottom is the Jedi build.

1st level Jedi versus 1st level Fighter

The two combatants begin 20 squares apart. They are aware of each other.

Initiative! Dwarf - 20. Jedi - 1. Both natural rolls. That's a hell of a way to start.

The dwarf runs for 7 squares. Total distance 13. She wants to close the distance, but not let the Jedi get first hit.

The Jedi uses Surge (UtF check 15; +2 move) and moves 8 squares. Total distance 5.

The dwarf moves in (doesn't charge because of the OA). Total distance 0. Just by looking at the lightsaber, the dwarf can tell she needs to make this quick. She goes for her daily. Roll: 21. Enough to hit and deal 25 damage! The Jedi's down to 5 hp. Threshold and all that.

The Jedi uses Force Disarm to pull the dwarf's weapon out of her hand. Roll: 25! (I use Reflex here as armor wouldn't affect the roll.) A hit. The dwarf's warhammer tugs out of her hand, flying across to the Jedi's grip. The Jedi uses his Second Wind, regaining 7 hp (bringing him up to 12 hp). The Jedi moves back 6 squares. The dwarf gets no OA as she has no weapon ready.

The dwarf moves into normal range (closing 1 square) and throws a handaxe. Roll: 25! The Jedi makes his Deflect roll: 26! The Jedi cuts the axe out of the air. The dwarf burns an action point to get another attack, throwing another axe, roll: 11, miss.

The Jedi drops the handaxe and uses Force Slam (4d6 normal), burning a Force point to increase the damage (+2d6 damage). Roll: 19, a hit, causing 22 damage and knocking her prone. This bloodies the dwarf and brings her down to 11 hp.

The dwarf stands and moves in for an attack. She rolls 16, dealing 9 damage (taking the Jedi down to 3 hp).

The Jedi swipes at the stout warrior, roll: 21, a hit. The lightsaber deals 9 damage to the dwarf (bringing her down to 2 hp). The Jedi wants space and steps back, taking a OA to the head for 6 damage, putting him under.

It would have been over sooner had the Jedi taken Block instead. The Jedi simply can't hit the dwarf often enough (+3 to-hit versus 19 AC). Whereas the dwarf hits all over the place (+6 to-hit versus 13 Reflex).

It's the same set up for the Ranger!

Initiative! Ranger 19, Jedi 14. 20 squares distance.

Ranger goes for Careful Attack, rolling 18. The Jedi Deflects with a 23.

The Jedi Surges (UtF check 20; +6 move) and closes 12 squares (total distance 8).

The ranger steps back 6 (distance 14) and fires another Careful Shot, rolling 20, the Jedi Deflects with a 24.

The Jedi double moves closing 12 (distance 2).

The ranger steps back (distance 8), sacks his attack to Fey Step away (distance 13), and burns an action point to attack, Careful Strike again, roll: 16, the Jedi Deflects with a 22.

The Jedi double moves closing 12 (distance 1).

The ranger steps back (distance 7) and Careful Attacks, rolling 19, the Jedi misses his Deflect by 1. Ooh. He takes 12 damage (18 hp left). Threshold.

The Jedi moves (distance 1) and uses Force Disarm, rolls: 25 (again, using Reflex as armor would be irrelevant). The Jedi pulls the bow out of the ranger's hands...

From here it's only a matter of time. Without access to his most powerful attacks and against a 2d8 damage lightsaber the ranger can only hope to out-distance the Jedi to avoid being cut down. The ranger only has Fox's Cunning to use and that means close combat, not the best option for his build.

I have no doubt that at 3rd level the Jedi would slaughter a 3rd level version of either. With the Block talent thrown in, and possibly Skill Focus: Use the Force or Weapon Focus (lightsaber), the Jedi can easily avoid either of the 4E character's attacks and dish out heaps of hurt.

1st Human Jedi
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
10 15 11 14 16 15
+0 +2 +0 +2 +3 +2
HP: 30
Defenses: Reflexes: 13; Fortitude: 11; Will: 14
Damage Threshold: 11
Melee AB: +1 (+3 lightsaber); Ranged AB: +3
Speed: 6
Force Points: 5
Destiny Points: 1
Skills: Acrobatics (Dex) +7, Initiative (Dex) +7, Knowledge—Galactic Lore (Int) +7, Perception (Wis) +8, Use the Force (Cha) +7
Languages: Basic
Feats: Force Sensitivity, Force Training, Weapon Finese, Weapon Proficiency (lightsabers), Weapon Proficiency (simple weapons)
Talents: Deflect
Gear: Lightsaber (2d8), 3d4x100 creds,
Force Powers: Force Disarm, Force Slam, Mind Trick, Surge

Now someone should do a 4E version of 'Faceless Men and Clockwork Monsters', the old dragon article where (as I recall) Gary Gygax sent his PCs to the world of Metamorphosis Alpha.

There was also an old Dragon Article where the PCs went through a time warp and had to fight a squad of WWII Nazi soldiers.

Ken

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
One of the official podcast suggested that Star Wars PCs could be dropped in easily, but the HP system used would have to be that from one of the games and the other game characters would have to be converted to that.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
SW system relies on the level=modifier; D&D relies on the 1/2 level=modifier. At first level, there shouldn't be a lot of difference. At higher levels, it's an entirely different ballgame.

Stalker0

Legend
Moniker said:
SW system relies on the level=modifier; D&D relies on the 1/2 level=modifier. At first level, there shouldn't be a lot of difference. At higher levels, it's an entirely different ballgame.

To me the big difference is that the defense of saga characters shoots through the roof as levels increase. At high levels, equal level saga characters can barely hit each other, so I doubt a 4e character would have much of a chance at that point.

Ktulu

First Post
Also, the SW second wind will either give 1/4 hp or hp = to con score (whichever is higher). If the Jedi had a con of 13+, he would still be alive for another round to attack the dwarf.

Ktulu

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads