• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starcraft RPG: Who would be interested?

Would you throw down you hard earned money on a Starcraft RPG?

• Hell yeah!

Votes: 76 44.2%
  • Nope... I can do it with d20 Future, Gurps, or any other generic system.

Votes: 96 55.8%

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
ThoughtBubble said:
Anyway, back to the RPG comment, I think that I'd just find something trying to shoehorn starcraft into a typical "Class and levels" sort of RPG kind of a disservice to the world.

I'm not so sure.

Starcraft characters in-game *have* clearly defined classes (their unit types). Mind you, while I'm fond of levels, I'm not fond of classes - but personal preference aside, why wouldn't they work? Indeed, why wouldn't they be the *most* appropriate way to handle the source material?

ThoughtBubble

First Post
MoogleEmpMog said:
I'm not so sure.

Starcraft characters in-game *have* clearly defined classes (their unit types). Mind you, while I'm fond of levels, I'm not fond of classes - but personal preference aside, why wouldn't they work? Indeed, why wouldn't they be the *most* appropriate way to handle the source material?

Fenix is the best example. It's not that he took a couple of levels in dragoon. It's that he totally got killed to heck and put in an energy-ball shooting machine to continue the fight. I don't think that he could just get out of the suit and go back to using his zelot abilities.

Jim was also a totally awesome Vulture, Marine and Battlecruiser. There's a lot of broad variety in what the heroes do in the game. But I don't think that him getting into a battlecruiser made him any better at shooting zerglings while on foot (BAB) or made him any tougher while on foot (HP). Additionally, you get into level scale issues. Well, after sitting in a battle cruiser for a while, ol' jimmy boy could take down 30 hydralisks by himself because of the extra hitpoints and +5 marine armor of shinyness he picked up.

Hero units were useful, but they never hit WCIII levels of D&D PC style mook chopping.

Drowbane

First Post
Hell yeah!

If it was done right...

Terran: Not too difficult to imagine as PCs. Starting classes: Marine, Firebat, Medic. PrCs: Ghost, Wraith Pilot, Goliath Pilot, Tank Pilot (or just have those vehicles available on a mission to mission basis).
Zerg: Hmmm... 99% of the Zerg population are mindless, no? A Zerg PC would have to be a "Kerrigan".
Protoss: Again, not too difficult to imagine. The Protoss campaign would seem to me to be basicly a "High Magic" version of the Terran campaign.

I've played alot of Star Wars in my day, never has the inclusion of X-Wings and AT-STs been a balance issue... why should Starcraft be much different?

IceFractal

First Post
Doing this in a point-based system like HERO would be extremely easy. The hard part is figuring out how to form a party when many of the characters kill each-other on sight or don't fit into the same room.

DamnedChoir

First Post
Firstly, they already had TWO Starcraft RPGs. (One boxed Set, and another one some time back I remember when I was still in high school. It had weird mechanics and really sucked.)

Secondly: How about Warhammer40k RPG, since everything Blizzard has made is just a ripoff of Games Workshop properties, only with lamer fluff?

What'd you rather have, Zerg, Terran, and Protoss as races?

Or Tyranid, Imperium, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Necrons, Orks, Chaos, Tau, and the list goes on.

GW does good fluff.

Remove ads