Starfinder Starfinder Blasts Off!

Starfinder is here, and it is everything that you would expect from a science fantasy hack of Paizo's popular Pathfinder rules. Paizo dropped the embargo on reviews of the game early, so we're going to talk some about the Starfinder game and share some early thoughts on it. The game is an evolution of everything that you've seen to date in the Pathfinder line, cleaned up and consolidated with a cool science fantasy paint job.

StarfinderCover.jpg

Starfinder is here, and it is everything that you would expect from a science fantasy hack of Paizo's popular Pathfinder rules. Paizo dropped the embargo on reviews of the game early, so we're going to talk some about the Starfinder game and share some early thoughts on it. The game is an evolution of everything that you've seen to date in the Pathfinder line, cleaned up and consolidated with a cool science fantasy paint job.

From a rules perspective, if you already like or dislike Pathfinder, there probably isn't going to be much about Starfinder to change your mind. There is no dramatic change to the rules that makes Starfinder into a dramatically different game from the original rules. They didn't make Starfinder into a rules light game, or into something inspired by the OSR. What they did was pull the threads together from a variety source like the Advanced Class Guide, the Advanced Player's Guide and Pathfinder Unchained, among others, to weave all the important rules into one place.

You've been following all of the Starfinder reviews here at E.N. World and across the internet, so you already have an idea of what to expect from Starfinder. Because of that I am going to try to talk about some of the things that you might not have seen. I've had an advance copy of the Starfinder rules to look at for about a month now.

The book itself is gorgeous. I mean, it is incredibly pretty. The graphic design of the book emphasizes the science fiction elements, making the PDF look like some sort of futuristic data link on my tablet. When you have a science fiction setting in a role-playing game the art becomes more important because you don't have the crutch of familiarity that you get with fantasy games. In this regard, Starfinder really comes through. The art is incredible, and right from the cover of the book the world jumps out at you and grabs your attention.

The setting for Starfinder isn't just the worlds of Pathfinder with a layer of chrome and neon added to it for extra science fiction glitz. Other than humans, the races familiar to fans of Pathfinder, and fantasy gaming in general, are pushed to the sidelines in favor of newer races with more of a science fiction motif to them. The non-human races of Starfinder revel in their non-humanness. There is the four-armed warrior race of the Kasathas, an ancient race that come from outside of the boundaries of the setting and bring mystery and history to the setting. The Lashuntas are a caste-like psychic race that explores either war or scholarship, depending on the path that they follow. The Shirrens are an insect race that broke away from an invading Swarm of invaders that plagued the game's setting, representing the enemy that can be redeemed (even if others don't entirely trust them).

All in all, there are seven basic races available for characters in the core rules, giving players a variety of options. Don't worry if you want to see elves, dwarves, goblins and all the familiar races of fantasy gaming. These are all available as options in an appendix of the book.

There are also seven classes available, covering the options of magic, warriors, thieves and smooth operators. Each class has a number of options and special abilities that will allow for customization of the classes. Each class has four themed sample starting builds that show different ways that each class can be built. Archetypes are now part of the core of the rules, giving you more methods for building and customizing your characters. There aren't a lot of options for archetypes in the core rules, but I think this will be an area that we'll see a lot of development in future products from Paizo and third party publishers.

Just like Pathfinder and Dungeons & Dragons brings together a lot of streams of different types of fantasy fiction to create settings that are unique to those games, so does Starfinder do these things with the streams of science fiction. You can see where cyberpunk fiction has had an influence, where movies like Star Wars and Blade Runner and even The Guardians of the Galaxy have contributed to the overall feel of the game. You can even see some Warhammer 40K in some of the aesthetics. These influences are well-integrated with each other, and don't feel like a hodge podge of discordant elements that grate against each other.

Starfinder is a game of exploration and discovery, and at the core of that is the central mystery of the setting: The Gap. The Gap is a hole in the history of the Starfinder universe, and with it the world of Golarion (the default setting of the Pathfinder game) was gone. Where did it go? What happened? These questions are fundamental to the spirit of discovery of the game. While abrupt, it is also a good way to split off the settings of the two games. The big stories and adventures from the Pathfinder cannot cause a headache for the world of Starfinder if no one knows they happened.

It is known that Golarion was there, but even the most powerful gods and the most nefarious demons refuse to say what happened to it except to say that it exists and it (and its populace) is safe in its seclusion. The setting of the Pact Worlds is the same solar system as that of the Pathfinder game, and the Absalom Station is in the place where Golarion resided, but no one is sure of what happened. There are no longer any accurate historical, or other, records of the period encapsulated by The Gap, and even things like carbon dating are inconclusive about that period of time.

Regardless, this mystery helps to drive the themes of exploration and discovery. Will characters find lost Golarion? Will their travels to some faraway planet unlock clues to the mystery of The Gap and what happened? Entire campaigns can deal with this for years, and only scratch the surface of the mystery. I know that some haven't liked the idea of The Gap, but I think that it is an interesting idea to drive the story of campaigns. Missing eras from historical records is a staple of science fiction, so there is precedence for the idea. Of course, the proof of the pudding will be in how Paizo teases this out over time, and how they deal with the mystery. How soon is too soon to reveal too much about the mystery? This is a question that has killed a number of franchises over the years.

Starfinder is a quality game that is likely going to be the point of the spear of a new wave of interest in science fiction/science fantasy gaming. With the success of Starfinder we will see a lot of other publishers dipping toes into both support of the Starfinder game, as well as their own new games. I was at the Gen Con when Pathfinder debuted, and I remember the craziness of the game selling out at the convention. Everyone wanted the game, it was unlike anything since the premier of D&D third edition. I suspect that we'll see something similar happen with Starfinder at this year's Gen Con. It will be the ultimate "must have" game at Gen Con.

While the game debuts at this year's 50th Gen Con, the release date for stores is August 17th, for those who can't attend the convention. Pre-orders direct from Paizo are already trickling out into the world.

The last question is, of course, what will all of this mean for Pathfinder? Is Starfinder a test bed for a new edition of Pathfinder that similarly brings together popular rules and approaches into one place in the rules? I guess that time will tell.
SaveSave

Thank you both. Sounds like it probably won't be my thing rule-wise, but the fluff may still win me over. I will remain in a holding pattern and give it a look-see when it arrives.

Yeah, if PF just isn't your thing, it won't pull you in for the rules. If you like the PF ruleset, the streamlining is a big plus. And I've been playing 3.x/Pathfinder since it came out, so I'm enthused.

Will this feel at all like Spelljammer, with its flying galleons, or more "science fictiony "?

Much more Science fiction-y. Lasers and Cryoguns and lightsabers (renamed). Androids are a playable race. Galaxy is being explored by a technilogical drive that was given to the people by an AI god. But you have gods, magic, undead and all that too.

R

RevTurkey

It looks like a fun game. It should sell great. Nice to have a Sci-Fi series of adventure paths too. I think my group will get and play this at some point for sure. I'm about to run some games of Pathfinder soon and if they go well I'm sure my friends/players will certainly want to play this as well. The cost of digital entry of 10 dollars for the pdf is a strong sales strategy..I suspect, myself included..I will get that, fall in love with all the cool stuff and artwork (I've seen a physical copy briefly before and it was gorgeous) and go buy the Core Rulebook and the first AP booklet.

JeffB

Legend
Yeah, if PF just isn't your thing, it won't pull you in for the rules. If you like the PF ruleset, the streamlining is a big plus. And I've been playing 3.x/Pathfinder since it came out, so I'm enthused.

I'm OK with the Beginner Box level of rules detail. I was hoping SF would be closer to that than Core.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I think the statement from one reviewer was "in terms of complexity, if the PF core box was a 1, and full blown Pathfinder was a 10, Starfinder would be about a 6." So that might give you some idea of complexity level compared to what has come before.

I'm also a believer that SF is a "stealth" PF 2.0 rules trial; if it is well-received by a majority of fans, when time does come for a 2.0 you'll likely be seeing some of these rules paradigms included. I welcome it, myself, because there are some things (such as bonus inflation) that still need help. builds are everything right now, and you can have characters that literally have a 15 to 25 point difference in attack bonuses, ACs, and saves at high level, to the point that the d20 roll is irrelevant. In other aspects, we're sitting on 6 or 8 pages of house rules at our table to both reign in problem spells, feats, and class options, as well as add flavorful options to liven combat and make it more mobile. I'm looking forward to see if SF has a different take on these issues.

ddaley

Explorer
How is the binding on the book? The binding on my PF core rules fell apart pretty quickly... especially considering how little use it got. Regardless, I am in for a copy of this, and the Alien Archive, and the 1st part of the AP at a minimum. Just hoping it doesn't fall apart quickly.

Staffan

Legend
Looks really good. Whether it is a test bed for PF 2? I think Paizo is in a bit of a bind. Rules need an update, but Paizo probably doesn't want to tick off fans, who don't want to start collection all over again.
Particularly since a large portion of that fan-base are folks who started playing Pathfinder because they didn't like a previous change.

fjw70

Adventurer
I am not a PF fan but I will pick up the PDF of SF. If nothing else I may find some fluff or rules to port into 5e, or maybe I might even play it. :)

Anselyn

Explorer
I saw Jason Bulmahn talk about this at UK Games Expo. It's clear that lots of good designers have put lots of good ideas into this. Some goals seemed to be streamline high level play. The rules for making starship combat a group activity seemed great. But to me - personally and as a Traveller player - putting in level requirements for equipment usage doesn't make any sense for me in the reality of the world. Although, I guess I could just about stomach that if it were a skill requirement which level sort of approximates. Finally - I'm gone at the gods and demons part. To me - this still makes it fantasy fantasy and isn't compatible with either science or scifi.

Last edited by a moderator:

I saw Jason Bulmahn talk about this at UK Games Expo. It's clear that lots of good designers have put lots of good ideas into this. Some goals seemed to be streamline high level play. The rules for making starship combat a group activity seemed great. But to me - personally and as a Traveller player - putting in level requirements for equipment usage doesn't make any sense for me in the reality of the world. Although, I guess I could just about stomach that if it were a skill requirement which level sort of approximates. Finally - I'm gone at the gods and demons part. To me - this still makes it fantasy fantasy and isn't compatible with either science or scifi.

Equipment level isn't a requirement - it's a guideline. It has been stated that a 2nd level character can use an 18th level gun, just like a 2nd level Pathfinder character can wield a +5 vorpal blade.

Having the equipment level gives a good idea for what is appropriate for newer GMs, and allows other simplifications of the system, one being crafting - you can craft up to your skill rank in level of equipment. So you don't need extensive rules on item creation just "spend the money, take the time and you can create something of a level equal to your skill bonus." or it may be skill ranks, not sure. It is also used, that I have seen, as shorthand for a spell, the technomancer has a spell that lets you just create equipment out of thin air with "max level of 3 times the spell level, or your character level whichever is lower".

Remove ads

Remove ads