STARGATE UNIVERSE # 15:Lost/Season 1/2010

LightPhoenix

First Post
They're kinda pushing this new guy into the spotlight a little too hard, "Eli would have wanted us to record all of this." Which makes me believe he is going to be sacrificed to the alter of retro-plotting, set up as supposedly a bad guy all along, a scapegoat. I hope I am wrong.

Riley has been in previous episodes. Most notably, he was the one with Eli who was chastised for using the Kino to spy on James. If I recall correctly, he was also the one that identified the gate address to Earth in one of the first episodes.

ETA: Also, he's in a lot of the Kino webisodes (along with Eli and Park), which I just watched. Now that I've watched them, I wish more of these types of scenes made it into the actual episodes.

These aren't even standard jump gates. They told us this episode the gates have a much smaller range to them because they are not as advanced.

Good call, I forgot they said that, in this episode no less. Doh!

Last edited:

BrooklynKnight

First Post
To further add to the topic. You'll note that in the previous iterations of Stargate they made a pretty big deal about the Gate needing a local power source to dial out. Usually this power source is inside the DHD. Presumably the DHD provides a local gate with enough power to connect to any other local galactic gate.

In SGU none of the gates HAVE DHD's. The only method of dialing them is the remotes. So far they haven't explored how the gates are powered without a local DHD but being that they are more primitive its likely the supply is built into the base of each gate. Now due to that statement in the most recent episode we know that it's not just Destiny that's limited to which gates it can reach but the planetary gates are too. They only have enough power to connect to the nearest gates to one another.

This actually provides some interesting implications for the future. As they get more access to Destiny's systems perhaps they'll have an easier time figuring out what planets are ahead of them. They'll be able to send teams in advance to explore the gate network ahead of Destiny and rejoin it when it comes in range.

For the record I hate what they actually did, stranding them on the planet, again. The Destiny is jumping outside the galaxy their in! Getting them back is gonna involve some really convoluted plot. If they figure out a way to just turn the ship around that's gonna suck. It's too early for that. They already stranded Rush in the mid season cliffhanger now they're doing it again with more main characters? Really?

Ugh. I'm not happy with it at all. I went ahead and checked out gateworld hoping for some spoilers on how they get back, and none of the episode descriptions even hint at it. I'm glad we havn't seen any more Telford but they cant possibly drop 3 more main characters like that.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I wouldn't be surprised to find that in this season or the next, it would be revealed that there is a more advanced gate in the galaxy that Destiny just left, letting the stranded trio pop up again.

The question will be what it will cost them to catch up...

For the record, I applaud them for having the stones to at least suggest that they're presenting a non-Hollywood or Old Hollywood dilemma, here. Its possible that we may never those characters again.

I doubt it- it would be a potentially devastating plot decision to get rid of nearly all of the young characters in the storyline- but its possible.

Wycen

Explorer
They're kinda pushing this new guy into the spotlight a little too hard, "Eli would have wanted us to record all of this." Which makes me believe he is going to be sacrificed to the alter of retro-plotting, set up as supposedly a bad guy all along, a scapegoat. I hope I am wrong.

I'm hoping he's just fatalistic and doesn't think Eli and the rest will ever be seen again, but we shall see.

The next episode teaser was once did not spoil what happens with the lost triad, at least I didn't see it.

Was it my imagination or was their a chip, suspiciously like the mind reading squares, plugged into the alien ship's control keyboard, seen just before they power it up?

Merkuri

Explorer
I also find it very unlikely that Rush's glasses were there by accident.

...I don't understand what you're implying here. Rush got abducted on that spot. He probably took his glasses off for some reason (maybe to rub his eyes) and then the aliens jumped him so he dropped them. Or they fell off when he hit the floor. The glasses were just to remind us that Rush had been here, and that he was taken from that spot, so it was very dangerous to stay.

I really liked how this episode basically went back and forth between "they're stranded!" and "they're saved!" a few times. It was nice for a show like this to create a problem and not solve it in a single episode. In the episode before this one I was very surprised that they didn't make it back to the ship before the episode ended. Then I was not surprised at the beginning of this show when they realized they could get back by gate-jumping. But I was surprised again when they just missed it and Destiny jumped to some place they presumably could not reach.

And the fact that the second away team came back just as the stranded folks were dialing was very well done. I'm sure most viewers, like me, forgot about Rush's part of the split away team and thought the missing folks were the ones dialing the gate right until Rush walked through.

(If it's not clear, I haven't watched the latest episode - so please no spoilers from it in this thread. I'm one episode behind because I can only watch it with Hulu.)

Orius

Legend
Yeah, Hulu's stupid with their scheduling.

I don't know how long Scott, Eli, and Chloe will remain stranded. If they weren't rescued this week, the remaining episodes of the season might revolve around Rush and the scientists trying to get control of Destiny and turning it around while the three do what they can to survive. At most, they may very well end the season with a cliffhanger leaving the trio stranded, but likely they'll get back early next season.

fba827

Adventurer
(I'm also watching on hulu's schedule so i'm a week behind actual tv broadcast)

Eli has been the audience's view point, and also straddles all the power factions.
I would be surprised if they took him out for an extended period of time. But having him out for a little while provides the narrative option for 1) a chance to see how the factions interact without Eli and 2) that 'special moment' where some sort of character development is done between Eli/Scott/Chloe.... you know, they get in to a tense situation, start yelling and realize they are yelling at each other because there is really a love triangle going on and once they accept that, they stop yelling and then in that moment figure out how to get home :D (I'm not trying to be cyncial, just using a typical example from tv drama narative - it can be done well, just depends on how it's done)

Fast Learner

First Post
Yeah, Hulu's stupid with their scheduling.

Unfortunately it's SyFy/NBC at fault. Once upon a time Fox and NBC put their shows up the next day, and then ABC started adding shows. Fearful that they weren't making enough money off of them, though, they all backed off, removing many shows and delaying others.

It's incomprehensible. Well, there's stupidity, but other than that, incomprehensible.

Orius

Legend
Technically, it is NBC's fault (they own Syfy), I know. It's like I said about the previous episode, they're still thinking in 20th century terms here and not taking the internet into account, even though they're putting the episodes on the freakin' internet!

Though I suspect I know the reason why. People watching on the net aren't paying an arm and a leg for crappy cable service, so the media comglomerates really don't care if it's convenient or not. The result if short-sighted greed that just chases away viewers over the long run.

Last edited:

Remove ads