• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starlock: AC too low to be playable?

cmbarona

First Post
The problem isn't that Starlocks need both Con and Cha, but that people seem to think they do. The only real problem is that Dire Radiance is Con based so doesn't really support the notion of a Cha based Starlock whatever the Dragon article seemed to suggest.

If Arcane Power provides an extra at-will power for each pact then Starlocks will be totally viable whichever way you build them.

... Or if they update Dire Radiance to include Cha like Eldritch Blast, which I think would be an easier and quicker fix.

nittanytbone

First Post
IF you will not be pumping DEX or INT, THEN you must ensure that you get into heavy armor.

That is easy for some classes (paladins), but for others it may require an initial investment in STR and CON. Remember the +1 to all stats in Paragon Tier, so I'd start at -1 STR compared to the minimum requirement for your desired end-state armor and just upgrade once you hit paragon tier.

Trevelyan

First Post
... Or if they update Dire Radiance to include Cha like Eldritch Blast, which I think would be an easier and quicker fix.
That would help, but we still need more at-will powers for each ability. Human + a second pact leaves a Warlock forced to select a useless at-will as things stand.

lightblade

Explorer
Ditto for Warlock. A half-elf with Str 13, Con 18, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 16 works reasonably well - you've got the stats for Chain/Scale and a high enough Int that you'll get at least part of the effect. But also, as a Con-based Warlock, you're actually good at the Cha skills a party typically needs you to be good at. And you qualify for multiclassing into Paladin with a Charisma high enough to take advantage of both the mark and Half-Elf's dilettante ability.

Hah; I've got a 3rd level half-elf with those stats (actually i swapped Dex and Wis because i thought i'd be grabbing some multiclass Paladin powers. He works pretty well so far. Another point: A spiked shield is both a source of AC and qualifies as a Pact Blade.

In our massive list of house rules, we came up with a compromise solution (untested yet), in the spirit of the PHB2 classes.

Warlocks may choose at character creation (or upon taking multiclass Warlock) to make all Warlock and Warlock PP powers use Cha as the primary attribute [we choose CHA instead of CON because more powers use CHA]. If you make this choice, then all secondary attributes (normally INT) change as follows: Fey pact, Dark pact, and non-pact-specific powers use INT, and Infernal pact and Star pact powers use CON. Also, Infernal and Star pact warlocks may gain Armor Proficiency: Chain for free, even if they don't meet the requirements, if they give up the Prime Shot class feature.

Yes, it means you won't be able to use the character builder 100% but you can always cross out numbers on power cards and pencil in the right ones.

Markn

First Post
Ditto for Warlock. A half-elf with Str 13, Con 18, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 16 works reasonably well - you've got the stats for Chain/Scale and a high enough Int that you'll get at least part of the effect. But also, as a Con-based Warlock, you're actually good at the Cha skills a party typically needs you to be good at. And you qualify for multiclassing into Paladin with a Charisma high enough to take advantage of both the mark and Half-Elf's dilettante ability.

I am currently playing a half elf with the following stats:
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 11, Int 14, Wis 12 and Cha 15. Being a half elf I get to add +2 to both Con and Cha making them 17. Since then at, 4th and 8th I have added to the Con and Cha again.

I have found my AC to only be a bit lower than the rest of the party, particularly when you add concealment and cover to the mix.

He's survived till 8th level so far and the build works just fine!

There are no complaints from me in the design.

MacMathan

Explorer
IMC the Starpact 'lock has not had much trouble.

She stays at range and makes sure to move 3 squares to get concealment. We have gone from level 1-7 so far without her death.

Just my 2 play-tested copper

MwaO

Adventurer
One of the big issues for a Starlock is not heroic tier, but high paragon/epic. Masterwork Heavy Armor is designed to roughly equal the equivalent Light Armor for a character advancing Dex/Int.

A Cha/Con Warlock without sufficient strength is going to drop from being 1-3 AC down to being 5-7 AC down. When most monsters hit you 75% of the time when you have concealment and hit the rest of the party 50% of the time...

Remove ads