• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starmantle Cloak & Improved Evasion

melkorspawn

First Post
Title says it all: How would BoED's Starmantle Cloak, which allows you to ignore damage from mundane weapons and missiles, and gives you a reflex save for half on magic weapons and missiles, interact with Improved Evasion?

Krelios

First Post
SRD said:
Evasion (Ex)
At 2nd level and higher, a rogue can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion.
By the RAW, that rogue takes no damage. Thanks for pointing out another reason I'll never allow the BoED in my games.

Patlin

Explorer
cignus_pfaccari said:
IIRC, it doesn't, because it's not a normal Reflex save, but one granted by the item.

That's pretty much exactly the answer I got from Wizard's Customer Service, btw. Sensible, workable, though with little support in written rule anywhere I'm aware of. This interpretation at least resolves Krelios's objection, I would think.

Remove ads