• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starship Builder bugs, feature requests, and usability comments

DemonGyro

First Post
I've been playing around a bit with the Starship Builder and find it a ton easier to work with in conjunction with the Starship Construction Manual for creating ships, especially larger ships. I have stumbled across a few bugs and have some ideas for usability improvements, so I decided to do a deeper dive and compile what I've found in a couple hours.

Reference document: WOIN_Starship_Construction_Manual_(7930976).pdf (not linked)

General Bugs:
These are the general usage bugs that I encountered.

• Command & Control section has a header "Control Computers + Power Plants"
  • Some extra buttons/selectors (Hull Class at the bottom, some titles and spacing in Command and Control, etc.)
  • Options throughout the builder aren't alphabetic and don't match the order in the reference document (Command and Control, Sub-Luminal Engines, etc.). This makes it hard to find specific options without using a page search.
  • Navigation Computers add to CPU/Power. This seems wrong, shouldn't it subtract? Also, reference document shows no CPU values for Navigation Computers.
  • Power Plants subtract from the CPU/Power. This seems wrong, shouldn't it add to the capacity?
  • Sub-luminal engine data doesn't show Cost, Size, etc. in the "Your Sub-luminal Engine" section, just the engine name
  • Size is missing for DayCorp Systems SSN-2 Navigational Shield Generator and all Fasa-Trek Deflector Shields (Size is missing in the reference document as well)
  • Deflector Shields only subtract CPU from Power/CPU, Power is not subtracted. I don't know if this is an issue or if I'm just confused as to the calculations. Is Power & CPU the same value or not?- Edit: I understand how this works now. Power != CPU. Disregard.
  • I can't find Command & Control systems from the reference document anywhere (ex. Daylight CEA46 Tactical Command Center)
  • Defenses is not displayed on the final ship data sheet
  • When loading a saved ship, even though the data in "Your Ship" is correct, the chosen sensor isn't selected in "Ship Sensors"

Conflicting Values:
Here is a list of values that I found were mismatched between the reference document and the Starship Builder.

• Hull Class (seems to be Cost, Crew, and CU)
  • Control Computers (seems to be Max CPU)
  • Sub-luminal Engines (seems to just be Space)
  • Cloaking Device (seems to just be Space and CPU)
  • Hangar (seems to be all of them, Space is missing)

Missing Items:
Here are items that were just not in the Starship Builder, or that I couldn't find.

• No Shuttlecraft Hull Configuration option
  • No indication in Hull Configuration as to the bonuses for each Hull type except in the "Your Ship" section under Traits
  • No 0-X Hull Classes (is more a feature request)
  • No Landing Capability option
  • No Ramming Fixture option
  • No Variant Armour types for Superstructure
  • No External Cargo Bay options

Comments:
Here are just some comments on usability that I think could improve the Starship Builder.

• I think CPU and Power should be separate values and combine Computers and Power Plants (seems to be the original intent) - Edit: I got confused by the Builder software... CPU = Computer & Power Units. I think it should just say "CPU" then instead of both because "Power" is for SOAK and SPEED calculations.
  • Where can I find more info on Power Plants? They aren't in the reference document.
  • I think sections should match up to what's in the document for the most part for easier reference. It would also help that the order matched as well.
  • There are some entries in the builder that do not exist in the reference document. I'm not sure where the Hull Configurations are from for example.
  • It would be cool to be able to just turn on Fasa Trek or, if more options are supported in later releases, have a drop-down to select your Campaign tech type and suggestions for AL.

If anyone else has anything they've found that they'd like to add to the list, I'll be glad to keep it updated.

Edit 1: See General Bugs bullet 8 and Comments bullet 1.
Edit 2: General Bug - Defenses is not displayed on the final ship data sheet.
Edit 3: General Bug - Issue when loading saved ship

Last edited:

DemonGyro

First Post
Will do for sure.

I'm still playing around with things, but I've found a nice Starship Constructor Kit for 2D pixel art ships that I can make ships with visually before creating them with the builder. I like to see what it looks like first :p

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I see there's some terminology confusion which I can easily get cleared up on the Builder - mainly more than one usage of the word "Power".

To clarify (and I'll make sure this is clearer in the actual software):

- All computers and power plants grant a universal resource which is CPU capacity and power capacity. That's the total which appears at the top right.
- All items which aren't computers and power plants take up part of that established CPU/power budget (this is listed as CPU in the tables).
- Some items like engines and shields have a Power score which is used to determine speed or SOAK.

So computers and power plants GRANT power/CPU, while everything else USES power/CPU. And engines and shields confusingly have a separate power column which determines SPEED and SOAK.

The word "power" is used in more than one way in that list. I can see how that would lead to confusion. I'll get that amended. Thanks for testing it - that really helps!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
[*]Options throughout the builder aren't alphabetic and don't match the order in the reference document (Command and Control, Sub-Luminal Engines, etc.). This makes it hard to find specific options without using a page search.

Incidentally, I'm definitely interested in more feedback on this particular issue.

Originally, they were alphabetical. However, I always found that an awkward way to navigate - I was never searching for an item by name, but rather by rough size and type. So I divided them into sections of types (hyperdrives, antimatter engines, solar sales) and then in order of size. Personally, I find that much easier, but I'm totally open to differing thoughts on that.

Sadly, there's no way to add a filter or search at present (which is the ideal solution). The developer (HeroSheets) is now working on the Character Builder, but will be returning to this to fix bugs. However, I may at some point, after the Character Builder is done, look into actual functionality upgrades (as opposed to bug fixes).

DemonGyro

First Post
Incidentally, I'm definitely interested in more feedback on this particular issue.

Originally, they were alphabetical. However, I always found that an awkward way to navigate - I was never searching for an item by name, but rather by rough size and type. So I divided them into sections of types (hyperdrives, antimatter engines, solar sales) and then in order of size. Personally, I find that much easier, but I'm totally open to differing thoughts on that.

Sadly, there's no way to add a filter or search at present (which is the ideal solution). The developer (HeroSheets) is now working on the Character Builder, but will be returning to this to fix bugs. However, I may at some point, after the Character Builder is done, look into actual functionality upgrades (as opposed to bug fixes).

If there is a way to highlight which column the data is sorted by, that could work in the interim. I just had no idea what the order was at first glance. As long as there is an indication of order somewhere, even if its just in the text, I think that'd work.

Also, I found another minor bug. When I was loading a saved ship, even though the data in "Your Ship" was correct, my chosen sensor wasn't selected in "Ship Sensors". I'll add it to the list above.

DemonGyro

First Post
Here's a comparison of my Class IV Frigate that I built using the book alone and one I built using the builder. The only thing that is completely missing from the builder for this ship is the Landing Gear.
Longhaul Class IV Freighter

BuilderBy Hand
Weight:35, 384 tons33,745 tons
Cargo Units:246.2 available, capacity 12,310 tons246.8 available, capacity 12,340 tons
Hull:Class IV (INIT 0)Class IV (INIT 0)
Traits:HaulerHauler
Fuel:6464
Crew:59 (cost 1180cr/m); Troops 0; Passengers 012 (cost 240cr/m); Troops 0; Passengers 0
Command & Control Systems
Computers:1x Chemerkin-Liang Products LM-2H Command Computer
(CPU cycles: 80; max FTL: 10; checks: +1d6)
1x Chemerkin-Liang Products LM-2H
(CPU cycles: 40; max FTL: 10; checks: +1d6)
(SOAK: +2, Defense: +1; max range inc: 18; Crew: -6%)
Power Plants:--
Sensors:Lunar Works LS-2H
(range 14; check +1d6)
Lunar Works LS-2H
(range: 14; checks: +1d6)
(Defense: +1; max range inc: 18)
Engine & Propulsion Data
Sub-luminal:2x DeltaLight products LI-1 Ion Engine
(power: 26; SPEED: 13.0; fuel efficiency: 1.4)
2x DeltaLight products LI-1 ion engine
(power: 52; SPEED: 13.0; fuel efficiency: 1.4)
FTL:2x Newdyne Concepts LA-1 Antimatter Engine
(power: 20; FTL: 10.0; fuel efficiency: 1)
2x Newdyne Concepts LA-1 antimatter engine
(power: 40; FTL: 10.0; fuel efficiency: 1.0)
Operational Range:64 parsecs64 parsecs; 89.6 AU
Defensive Data
Superstructure:None12

DEFENSE 19
ELECTRONIC DEFENSE 11
DEFENSE 19
ELECTRONIC DEFENSE 20
Armor:--
Shields:1x Liu Maltech LSC-1 Civilian Deflector Screens
(power 27; SOAK 6)
1x Liu Maltech LSC-1 civilian deflector screens
(Power: 27; SOAK 6)
Point Defenses:--
Weapons Data2x Microtech Alliance LBP-1 Stingmaker Dual Pulse Blaster
(range 3; damage 4d6 heat; attack +0d6)
2x Microtech Alliance LBP-1 Stingmaker dual pulse blaster (one front, one rear)
(range 3; damage 4d6 heat; attack +0d6)
Facilities
Luxury:22% (Spartan: -2d6)108% (Adequate: +0d6)
Facilities:Cabin, Double (6)
Sickbay (2)
Escape Pod (12)
Gymnasium (4)
Messhall (2)
Cabin, Double (6)
Sickbay (2)
Escape Pod (12)
Gymnasium (4)
Messhall (2)
Other Equipment:-Landing Gear
Final SOAK:SOAK 8SOAK 8
Market Value:935.8 MCr1055.8 MCr

By Hand Calculations:

Longhaul Class IV
- Cost: 80
- Crew: 12
- CU: 400
- Defense: 17
- Fuel: 64

Landing Capability
- Cost: 80
- Speed: -1

Control Computer
- Chemerkin-Liang Products LM-2H
- Cost: 380
- Size: L
- Space: 5
- Max FTL: 10
- CPU: 40
- Crew: -6%
- Max Range Inc: 18
- SOAK: +2
- Defense: +1
- Electronic Warfare Checks: +1d6
- Electronic Defense: 20

Sensor Systems
- Lunar Works LS-2H
- Cost: 160
- Space: 5
- Range: 14
- Defense: +1
- Electronic Warfare Checks: +1d6

Engines
- Speed & FTL are Power / Class (4)
SUB-L
- DeltaLight products LI-1 ion engine x2
- Cost: 44 (22 x2 engines)
- CPU: 5.2 (2.6 x2 engines)
- Space: 66 (33 x2 engines)
- Power: 52 (26 x2 engines)
- Fuel Eff: 1.4
FTL
- Newdyne Concepts LA-1 antimatter engine x2
- Cost: 184 (92 x2 engines)
- CPU: 8 (4 x2 engines)
- Space: 80 (40 x2 engines)
- Power: 40 (20 x2 engines)
- Fuel Eff: 1.0

Shield
- Liu Maltech LSC-1 civilian deflector screens
- Cost: 18
- CPU: 3
- Space: 28
- Power: 27

Weapons
- Microtech Alliance LBP-1 Stingmaker dual pulse blaster x2 (one front, one rear)
- Cost: 42 (21 x2 weapons)
- CPU: 6 (3 x2 weapons)
- Space: 18 (9 x2 weapons)
- Range: 3
- Attack: +0d6
- Damage: 4d6 heat each

Facilities
- Sickbay (2) (4 Lux, 6 Space, 40 Cost)
- Cabin, double (6) (1.8 Lux, 3 Space, 1.8 Cost)
- Gymnasium (4) (4 Lux, 12 Space, 16 Cost)
- Messhall (2) (2 Lux, 8 Space, 4 Cost)
- Escape Pod (12) (1.2 Lux, 1.2 Space, 6 Cost)
= 13 Lux, 30.2 Space, 67.8 Cost

FINAL
=====
- Superstructure: 12
- Cost: 1055.8
- Crew: 12
- CU: 166.8 + 80 (Hauler)
- Defense: 19
- Fuel: 64
- Max FTL: 10
- CPU: 17.8
- Electronic Warfare Checks: +2d6
- Electronic Defense: 20
- SPEED: 12 (52 / 4 - 1)
- FTL: 10 (40 / 4)
- SOAK: 8 = 27 / 4 + 2
- Operational Range FTL: 64 = 64 x 1.0 (Parsecs)
- Operational Range SUB-L: 89.6 = 64 x 1.4 (AU)
- LUXURY: 108% = 13 / 12 x 100%
- Tonnage: 33,745 = (400-166.8) / 400 x 15,000 + 25,000

I'll improve the formatting on this tomorrow at some point for readability, but I wanted to show how much of a difference I get between the builder and the book.

Edit: Tabled for readability and comparison

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, that's pretty hard to read. Are the differences from the data in the tables (easy to fix) or the actual calculations (harder)?

DemonGyro

First Post
Yeah, that's pretty hard to read. Are the differences from the data in the tables (easy to fix) or the actual calculations (harder)?

It seems like its mostly conflicting values and the landing gear option missing. The calculations for tonnage, cost, and cargo seem off, but that could just be the conflicting values.

Remove ads