• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starter PHB - Easy and cheap entry?

Fenes

First Post
Flipping through my 3.0E first printing book, I noticed the "2000 survival kit" appendix, 16 pages with bare-bones DM info to tide the players over until the DMG 3.0E and the MM were released.

It covered CL, experience awards, treasure, a few monsters, and a "do it yourself" dungeon.

It was, if I remember correctly, enough to run a 3E game.

Now, given the recent thread about MMOGs and the barrier to entry, I wonder if adding 15 to 20 pages with such DM information to the PHB would be a cheap "starter kit", allowing new players to start playing with simply one book, instead of 3.

Thoughts?

Whisper72

Explorer
Interesting idea. Personally, I would believe it would be even better to release such a booklet as a softcover edition, similar to a module, at very low price, add to that the softcover PHB, put it in a box with maybe an additional starter module, some miniatures and presto.... instant basic set... I am hoping the current basic set is kinda like this...

Remove ads