D&D 5E Starter Set Character Sheet Revealed!

Sigma77

First Post
I do have to wonder, with the Fighter's Proficiency bonus at +2... do you think all classes still have the same progression, and they just raised it up to +2 at first level to give lower level characters an easier time of it, or the progressions are different again?

Agamon

Adventurer
I like how the bonus is the main, most obvious number for each stat with the actual stat in small type beneath it. Ability scores are a tough cow to slay, but at least they realize what is important.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I like passive perception, it seems that now it's a target number for the traps and enemies to pass instead of having the players roll the DM roll, I like it.

Warder

fjw70

Adventurer
I do have to wonder, with the Fighter's Proficiency bonus at +2... do you think all classes still have the same progression, and they just raised it up to +2 at first level to give lower level characters an easier time of it, or the progressions are different again?

They stated a while ago that the prof bonus would start at 2 and go to 6 for everyone.

LFK

First Post
The progression is now 2-6 rather than 1-6. The first two levels of +1 prof just weren't terribly meaningful.

I also think that the slightly meatier +2 makes the mechanic stand out, which helps players rationalize its value from the start. For whatever psychological reasons, being +1 better at something feels pointless.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
OK, so I think I will point out the elephant in the room.

Temporary hit points.

That probably means the Battlemaster Healing abilities use temporary hit points.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I like how the bonus is the main, most obvious number for each stat with the actual stat in small type beneath it. Ability scores are a tough cow to slay, but at least they realize what is important.

It's not just a sacred cow, it's branding. Having an 18 [stat] has worked its way into the culture. Making that meaningless is a bad branding decision.

My first problem with 4e, sadly, stemmed from the "Jesus saves. And takes half damage." joke being at least weird if not meaningless.

That said, it makes sense to have the modifier be the larger number. It's the important one.

Thaumaturge.

Remove ads