• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Starter Set Character Sheet Revealed!

gyor

Legend
:he
You do realize that you have never been able to cast a normal spell and a swift spell in the same round?
Swift Spells. A swift spell requires but an utterance. A spell that has a swift casting time can be cast as your action or as part of another action. If you cast the spell as part of another action, that other action cannot involve casting a spell or activating a magic item.

Yeah I think action surge is designed the way it is is so an Eldrich Knight can cast a none swift spell like fireball and then make a melee attack against a target as well.

gweinel

Explorer
I am kind of disappointed by the second wind and action surge.
These two are subclass specific or class specific?

Also no armor penalty to athletics?

I am kind of disappointed by the second wind and action surge.
These two are subclass specific or class specific?

Also no armor penalty to athletics?

Those are both class, not subclass, to go by the playtest.

Armour penalty to athletics is just another good way to screw Fighters at the one thing they're actually good at, so I am very glad to see that gone!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If second wind is restricted only by the 1 hour short rest, it's broken, badly, for any adventure not on a strict time frame like a dungeon bash. Any overland style , or 3-4 hrs between encounter modules will be too easy. This is more reason for other classes to MC figher - second wind and action surge are very, very, very good. Almost certainly too good to pass up.

The wandering monster tables, which are as much a part of this new version of the game as this ability, say different.

You know, I remember when 3e first came out, lots of people were saying the monk was too good and clearly the best class and overpowered. It took about 6 months of playing with the actual rules before people figured out it's not just a simple matter of reading this stuff out of context. And back then people claimed "I've been playing RPGs long enough to know from just reading!" just like I am sure people will respond to this post.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
We are.

Talking about something on the character sheet. Action Surge grants an extra action. Therefore it will work, as written in the final rules, with spells as well. This is probably a very broken thing, because spells are already quite powerful, and being able to machine gun them is very appealing.

A single line in the Spells chapter saying "You can only cast one spell per round no matter what" (or something along those lines) takes care of that. No need to include such a line in an ability for the fighter class since fighters can't cast spells. Or a single line similar to the above in the "Actions" or "What You Can Do in a Round" section fixes it too.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Aspects like this are a key mechanism in FATE games. Check out FATE Accelerated (free download) the SRD to Spirit of the Century or Diaspora for a place to start.

That's exactly where I had the idea from. Playing a FATE campaign currently. :)

I also think that having a Background and several skill-like 'Aspects' works very nicely in concert with the Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws. As a matter of fact, you pretty much can combine them all together to match FATE.

Your Background is your High Concept
Your Flaw is your Trouble
And then your Ideal, Bond, and a couple other "skills" become your remaining Aspects.

I don't know if I'd actually go that far with it or not... I probably would want to wait for the PH and have a better look at what it talks about with regards to the actual Skill system and the I/B/F system first. But it certainly does feel a little more interesting to me than just a character sheet that has Athletics, Animal Handling, Perception, and Stealth written on it. That seems awfully bland at this point in my roleplaying career.

The wandering monster tables, which are as much a part of this new version of the game as this ability, say different.

You know, I remember when 3e first came out, lots of people were saying the monk was too good and clearly the best class and overpowered. It took about 6 months of playing with the actual rules before people figured out it's not just a simple matter of reading this stuff out of context. And back then people claimed "I've been playing RPGs long enough to know from just reading!" just like I am sure people will respond to this post.

To be fair, for every X people certain they know how it will turn out, there are Y (where Y is usually a value smaller than X!) people who are dead right, and such was the case with Monk.

Second Wind's power is tricky to guess at without knowing the default non-class-assisted healing rules. In the context of "Long rest = full HP" it is definitely not OP (but is that the context?).

Remove ads