• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Starter Set price back to $17.99?

SigmaOne

First Post
Hey I was just checking Amazon, and I noticed the price of the starter set has gone back to $17.99.

That's a little fishy of Amazon, isn't it?

(I have too few posts to actually post the link.)

Edit: I assume the pre-order price guarantee still applies, but there's nothing to indicate what price they intend to charge. This would be moot if my LGS's response to "hey are you taking preorders for the D&D products" had not been "what D&D products?"...

Last edited:

ValeLywoud

First Post
I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but it's not exactly fishy. You're guaranteed the price you ordered at and if it drop below what you ordered before it's released, you're reimbursed the difference. Considering the fact that we've got roughly 7 weeks before then... I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that it'll be discounted more before then, just possibly not to that rather nice price point from earlier.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It's very normal for Amazon. The price will continue to fluctuate for quite some time, based on a proprietary algorithm that involves a lot of factors.

Paraxis

Explorer
Just wondering why this would even be considered "fishy", I mean stuff changes price all the time. Things go on sale for different prices at different times. It is just how commerce works, feel good about the price you pay for something because it apparently had that much value to you. If someone else gets a better or worse deal I don't see how that effects you.

SigmaOne

First Post
Just wondering why this would even be considered "fishy", I mean stuff changes price all the time. Things go on sale for different prices at different times. It is just how commerce works, feel good about the price you pay for something because it apparently had that much value to you. If someone else gets a better or worse deal I don't see how that effects you.

I was initially thinking the price guarantee wouldn't be honored, since there's no record of the lower price.

SigmaOne

First Post
My "Your Orders" details still shows the $12.66.

You should be able to find that info there.

You're completely right. When I looked at my order summary, it didn't have any price info and clicking the link brought me to the product page with the current price. But when I clicked on my order number, it showed the price breakdown, and there it has the lower price.

ephemeron

Explorer
Edit: I assume the pre-order price guarantee still applies, but there's nothing to indicate what price they intend to charge. This would be moot if my LGS's response to "hey are you taking preorders for the D&D products" had not been "what D&D products?"...
IME, they do take the pre-order price guarantee seriously. I've gotten a couple of things for less than the price listed when I placed my pre-order. Not much less, but less.

But they also don't tell you exactly what you're going to pay for a pre-order until it's about to ship. So don't place an order unless you're okay with the price as listed at the time, but you may end up spending a little less. And checking the price a few times before placing an order might will make a difference.

Remove ads