• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starting an all Kobold Campaign

DarkDagas84

First Post
Was looking for some ideas the party is gonna consist of a fighter, Wizard, Rogue and a monk. My big question is what do do about the lack of healer no one wants to play one, and i do not want the campaign to end within the first 3 encounters. i want to give them a means to survive without totally unbalancing them. the wizard is an alchemist instead of a Ritual Caster. Game is tomorrow night and i just got word from the last player what he is playing. No specific campaign setting (ie. forgotten realms, Dark Sun, etc.). Thinking about giving the wizard a means to make healing potions but that gets expensive. [sorry for bad grammar never was good with it :p]

Mummolus

First Post
Perhaps encourage the wizard to hybrid artificer? It'd both give the group some healing and make it easier to justify the creation of health potions, while maintaining the basic premise of the character.

mudlock

First Post
Artificer is in the Eberron setting guide, but another possibility is giving them a companion character who can provide some healing. Rules for companion characters are in DMG 2.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Why not provide an NPC healer?

And I'd just stick them all in the Underdark and not worry about an official setting. There's "that complex full of drow over there" and "that scary aboleth-ruled kingdom over there" and "those tunnels no one ever comes out of" and "that ruined dwarven city" that way.

Honestly you don't need a healer. But if you do, here's one.

Old Grouchy:

Level 1 Companion Warlord:
Str 8, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12 Wis 14 Cha 16

Saves: Fort: 13, Ref 13, Will 14
AC: 15 (leather armour)
HP: 24, +5/level
Surges: 6

Skills: Stealth +10, Heal +7, Intimidate +8

Powers:
At Will: Commander's Strike: Adjacent ally can make a Melee basic attack against adjacent enemy, getting +2 to damage roll.
At Will: Direct the Strike: Ally within 5 can make a basic attack against target enemy in 10.
At Will: Shifty (minor)
Encounter: Powerful Warning: Interrupt (close burst 5) on a hit on an ally - the attack takes -2 and the target gets to make a melee basic attack.
Daily: None - easier to run.
Encounter: 2* Inspiring Word (minor, close burst 5, target can spend a healing surge)
Bra
Kobold Leader: When Old Grouchy grants a MBA, this may be made with dex rather than str.
Bravura Warlord: When an ally spends an action point, they may take a gamble. If they take it and hit they get a free MBA granted by Old Grouchy or a free move action. If they miss they grant combat advantage. Old Grouchy as a Companion gets no action point.

And rotate the granted attacks unless there's an obvious candidate at any given time. Applies double if the wizard either has Magic Missile or is in fact a mage (recommended).

DarkDagas84

First Post
I used the Unique companion rules from the DMG2. how does he look?

Plikin:

Level 1 Companion Cleric:
Str 11, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 8 Wis 16 Cha 16

Saves: Fort: 14, Ref 14, Will 14
AC: 16(Chainmail)
HP: 24, +5/level
Surges: 8

Skills:Heal +8

Powers:
At-Will ~ Shifty
At-Will ~ Sacred Flame: Wis vs Ref
1d6+wis modifier; One ally you can see gains either Temp HP = Cha mod or makes a Savings throw.
Encounter ~ Healing Strike: Str vs Ac
2[w]+ str modifier Radiant; target is marked till the end of your next turn. You or and ally may spend a healing surge.
Leader ability from DMG2: Close Burst 5
you or an ally in the burst may spend a healing surge

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads