• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starting Boosts

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Crazy idea for a GM who wants to give his players a slight edge for say a SHtF type campaign ala Tom Clancy's the Division or Resident Evil using the d20 Modern books or Future if a semi sci-fi campaign like Falling Skies if what is planned.

Most often in Real Life starting at about age six, human, we all attend school so for the twelve years that you are learning the player may choose for every x-years of life, say four, they can choose one base class from the book. Now for twelve years that means the player can choose three base Classes from the Modern Book and with a little creativity allow for the Personal Weapon Proficiency Feat as on of them.

At age eighteen most of us go to college, get a job, join the military, or other which is when the Profession comes into play.

Now a ONE Time Bonus HP of which I will expand upon when I find my notes and doc print-off but at character creation the player gets x-bonus HP to aid in the survivalibility against the enemies, monsters, and BBEG of the campaign world.

Last edited:

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Educational Training:
Educational Training, allowed and agreed upon by the GM allows the player to gain a Feat, Skill, or merely increase a base stat. These are done outside of combat situations. I figure the normal prerequisites would still factor in with the player making dice check related to as they learn, attend the classes, or time spent in a modern or futuristic simulator.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?483396-Training-Questions

Last edited:

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Personally while I am altruist to the RAW guidelines published in each book some things made no sense to me for example the Personal Firearms Proficiency could at the GM's discretion be given to the players along the lines of my aforementioned allowance of one rank for x-years before the Adulthood age of said chosen... now the Soldier lets says during Basic Training s/he is taught the M4A1 Assualt Rifle thus acquiring the PFP Feat for it and then Weapon Focus and this doesn't their PFP for Bolt-Action Hunting Rifle

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'd suggest going the route of Gestalt characters; in short, combining two classes into one and choosing the best features of both as your main.

Humans get two Starting feats; if you want, you could allow them two backgrounds as well, assuming one background must be a background that grants either Personal Firearm Proficiency and/or Armor Proficiency.

Starting them above level 1 is also a great idea. A level 3 Gestalt would be in great shape to take some abuse and have a few goodies under their belt.

AnimeSniper

Explorer
I'd suggest going the route of Gestalt characters; in short, combining two classes into one and choosing the best features of both as your main.

Humans get two Starting feats; if you want, you could allow them two backgrounds as well, assuming one background must be a background that grants either Personal Firearm Proficiency and/or Armor Proficiency.

Starting them above level 1 is also a great idea. A level 3 Gestalt would be in great shape to take some abuse and have a few goodies under their belt.

I'll keep the Gestalt in mind for the task of my Guerilla Fighter, Mercenary, and a few other homebrew classes I have in the works.

One thing a GM in the past ran with was the whole Conscription of the party into service of an occupying armies forces and Enlistment of their home countries military forces.

Remove ads