• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starting characters above 1st level

Kitirat

First Post
Where is this in the DMG? Can not find it and it would be insane not to have it in there. I assume it would have what starting money and weapons they would have, etc.

Thanks,
Ken

Nifft

Penguin Herder
It's in there, can't remember page right now.

PCs get 3 magic items:
- PC level +1
- PC level
- PC level - 1
- and gold equal to the price of a magic item of (PC level - 1)

Cheers, -- N

StormCrow42

Explorer
It's on page 143 of the DMG, conveniently on the page the TOC lists as Starting at a Higher Level. There is also a nice chart of what level powers to pick.

Verision

First Post
Does it strike anyone else as a little strange that a second level character gets:

A 3rd level magic item (680 gp; 136 gp selling value)
A 2nd level magic item (520 gp, 104 gp selling value)
A 1st level magic item (360 gp, 72 gp selling value)
AND
360 gold?

Thats 1920 gp! (or 672 gp if they sell everything)
A first level character gets what? 100 gp?

Grimstaff

Explorer
The way the numbers scale in 4E, there seems to be little point in starting a character at less than 4th level or so, unless someone is starting a whole party at a higher level. 1st level characters should be able to hang with parties 2-3 levels higher than them with a little bit of extra caution.

In any case, if the rest of the party is higher level, and someone is starting a character from scratch at the equivalent level, the DM should make sure the starting magic/wealth is not higher than everyone else's, regardless of the DMG guidelines.

Kitirat

First Post
It's on page 143 of the DMG, conveniently on the page the TOC lists as Starting at a Higher Level. There is also a nice chart of what level powers to pick.

Don't I feel like an idiot (and resemble one as well).

That said, it seems odd that a 2nd level character starts with so much, but that's ok by me.

See ya,
Ken

malraux

First Post
Based on Treasure of Talon Pass, 2nd level characters would probably fit better with a 1st level item and a 2nd level item, plus a bit more gold. I think what throws it off is that via the parcel system, it takes a while for the found high level items to end up as lower level items because of leveling.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads