• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starting gold for your PCs

How much starting gold?

• Random roll by class (per the PHB)

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Average

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Maximum

Votes: 34 44.7%
  • A different set amount

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • I use equipment packages

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • other (please explain)

Votes: 9 11.8%

Nifft

Penguin Herder
IMC, PCs start out at 3rd level, with 1,000 gp worth of loot that they choose, and some other loot that I choose (often at least one magic item to go along with their background).

Cheers, -- N

Arkhandus

First Post
Varies by campaign. Usually it's average starting gold, sometimes it's rolled, and once in a blue moon it's maximum starting gold.

Christian

Explorer
My standard is to start characters at 2nd level, with starting gold equal to the maximum 1st-level roll possible for their class (or for either of their classes, if multi-classed). So a Ftr2 would have 240 GP, a Mnk2 20 GP, and a Ftr1/Mnk1 240 GP.

I also then assign one or two minor items of my choice ...

Beckett

Explorer
Lately, I've been setting gold at maximum. I'm trying to keep randomness out of character creation- first level is hard enough without a bad pre-game roll screwing you.

Zen3p0

First Post
In my campaigns the PCs don't have a limit, we just use common sense. A First lvl wizard doesn't need more than a spellbook, a light source, spell components, and the bare necessities of life.

shilsen

Adventurer
I usually go for maximum or a little higher. Considering all the horrible things that'll happen to them, a little extra cash to make them happier at the start seems fair.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads