• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starting Gold

misalo1

Explorer
Hi

From the PHB

Page 210 "...you start with basic clothing and 100 gp..."

Page 61 (Cleric: Ritual Casting) "You possess a ritual book..."
Page 158 (Wizard: Spellbook) "You possess a spellbook..."

Now...

Do you charge the Clerics and Wizards 50 gp for their books? :confused:

If not...
The Clerics and Wizards start with 150 gp and everybody else 100 gp. :-S

Your 2 cp would be appreciated.

Falstyr

First Post
Am I evil when I say that my players started with 0 funds? Just the basic adventurer's kit and some armor/weapon. To be honest I had read over how much starting funds each player would get and since the party finds enough as soon as they start their quests

I wouldn't bother that much whether someone started with 100 or 150gp. Eventually there will be bigger differences in funds anyway as soon as magic items start being distributed.

It is like worrying when a few PC's in the group got slightly more XP than the others. As long as you don't make the gap get too big it wouldn't matter.

Mengu

First Post
Wizards and clerics need some cash if they actually want to be able to cast any of their rituals, so I think it's expected they'll purchase ritual components with some of their starting gold. If they also had to purchase a spell/ritual book, it might be pretty useless until potentially second level.

Clerics also need to buy weapons and armor, their starting gold doesn't go very far as it is.

And as mentioned a 50 gp difference in starting gold is fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I might not even mind giving that amount or more to someone who has a wealthy background.

Remove ads