• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Starting level

What Starting Level?

• 1st. Obviously.

Votes: 92 73.0%
  • 3rd. Because, archetypes.

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • 5th. Because, reasons (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Poll closed .
S

Sunseeker

My preference is for 3, because the XP starts to slow down. You go through the first two levels so exceedingly fast it's like they don't exist anyway. It's a difficult argument to keep people at level 1 or 2 for more than a couple sessions even without XP.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The actual answer is 1st.

But I really wanted to say "20th... and then we run a Memento-style campaign where the players explore what led up to the final encounter." ;)

Cheers!

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
1st, always. The relative fragility of the characters helps in their development in ways that atsrtig at a higher level never possibly could. They learn their strengths and weaknesses and how to effwvtovelt function as a team.

Good roleplayets can fake it starting at higher levels, but there is nothing like the bond formed by starting from.the very bottom.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I start the PCs at 3rd level. My players put a lot of time and effort into their character concepts and I don't want to see that snuffed out due to 1st or 2nd level fragility. It also help them set up their characters just the way they like to start their concepts off.

S'mon

Legend
I'm playing 2 5e games and GMing 2 5e games, all four campaigns started at 1st, as will a new campaign about to start. So did the other short-term 5e games I've played (Lost Mines of Phandelver - GM'd and played a few sessions).

I think 1st level in 5e is a lot of fun and I wouldn't want to miss out on it.

I voted for 1st as the closest match, but since I like a bit of heterogeneity I often have players start at level 1d3 instead. But when I forget, then it's just 1st.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads