• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starting Reclaiming Blingdenstone (playtest report)

Rhenny

Adventurer
Started Running Reclaiming Blingdenstone although it is the 3rd time we've played using the 2nd playtest package rules/characters.

PCs (all 1st level)
Human Fighter Protector/Jack of all Trades
Human Wizard Sage/Magic User
Human Cleric of Pelor Priest/Healer
Halfling Rogue/Thief + 3 chosen skills

For this playtest session (2 hours) I gave the monsters +2 to hit like I did last time. We really like the feel of that although it didn’t make a difference for fighting Ogremoch’s Bane.

Here’s what happened

The party walked into the Phatasmal Glamours area of the adventure and spoke with Henkala. Lots of roleplaying. Then they set off to find the Guild of Armorers and Weaponsmiths. On the way, they walked through the Ruby in the Rough area and decided to go into the temple. The cleric led the way and used his religious and diplomatic skills to speak with the Burrow Warden. They told him they’d find the crown. Still interested in the Ogremoch problem, the group continued to the Guild. When they got there, the Wizard was able to figure out what the mysterious vanishing creature was (the Pech). The group decided to coax it out and spoke with it. While they were speaking with it (finding out more about Ogremoch’s Bane) the little fellow became startled. He looked behind himself and then melded right into a nearby stone wall. The party braced themselves and sure enough, a party of 4 orcs attacked from the tunnels to the north.

The orc battle was quick. None of the PCs used any spells other than cantrips, and the fighter was able to use his parry to ward off damage from one blow. (3 orcs attacked immediately. 1 stayed back and waited for 1 round). After they took care of the orcs, the rogue turned over their bodies and found some silver, but little else. Then they continued their discussion with the Pech. The Pech told them that the Pechs could help defeat Orgremoch, but they needed assurance from the Deep Gnomes that the Deep Gnomes would not over build and would co-exist with the Pechs. The party said they would speak with Henkala, and they trudged back to the Phantasmal Glamours. More roleplaying. Henkala asked the party to tell the Pechs that she could vouch for the Deep Gnomes, and she also lent the fighter a +1 battleaxe to use against Ogremoch’s Bane. (The hand axe wasn’t manly enough). The party was able to get the Pechs to come with them to confront the Bane.

At first, the party tried to parlay with the Bane. The Bane tried to get them to help him destroy the Boon, but the party would hear none of that. They signaled the Pech’s to put up the protective circle, and they readied for battle. The party outscored Ogremoch’s Bane in initiative (everyone beat the whirling rock and dust creature). They let lose their barrage of spells (burning hands, searing light), the rogue hid (and prepared to sneak attack with a bottle of holy water – he learned that holy weapons might hurt the Bane, so he asked the Cleric for 3 bottles). The fighter with magical axe, stepped out of the circle to attack, and was batted by flying debris. He put up his shield to parry saving himself 6 out of 8 points of damage. I let the Bane attack the shield. I had decided that if he rolled an 18, 19 or 20, the Pechs would stumble and he would be able to deal 1d4+1 damage to everyone inside the shield. Lo and behold, he rolled a 19 on his first attack. The Wizard was bloodied, the rogue and cleric were noticeably wounded. The fighter took the damage and got angry. To make a long story short, the fight went on for 6 rounds. The Bane never rolled another 18, 19 or 20. He did however injure the fighter, who needed the Cleric to use Divine Channel healing on him. In the end, both spellcasters used all of their spell slots, and after the fight, the rogue and the wizard needed to use their HD of healing. They went back to Henkala, and she gave them 3 healing potions, and the gem, and gifted the battleaxe to the fighter. After this, they all leveled up to 2nd level.

Comments

The players really liked the game. It was roleplaying heavy. We did have 1 minor combat and 1 major combat in 2 hours so there was a nice mix.

The characters felt good, and now the players are getting used to them. One thing we noticed is that the Wizard decided to prepare 3x burning hands. That spell may be more desirable (although with his new level, he learned charm person, cause fear and ray of enfeeblement…so maybe now he’ll diversify).

The only negative I have as DM is about the way the adventure was organized. It was difficult to find the “read aloud” text. Often I found that in the descriptions that were not marked for reading aloud, there were some nice pieces of description or information that the PCs could use, and in the read aloud there wasn’t as much as I needed. Usually, I run my own homebrew games so I don’t need to rely on the text, but since I wanted to run the adventure using the descriptive text, I had a more difficult time with it. Also, since the initial meetings and place descriptions come first, then each adventure continues later in the packet, I often had to jump back and forth…making my head spin a bit. Also, as you can see from my game recap above, I decided to give Ogremoch’s Bane a chance to get through the Pech’s shield temporarily by making an attack roll each round. I think that really made the encounter much more frightening for the players.

The wizard player is really looking forward to Wizard Traditions. Next round we will run 2nd level and 3rd level to see how it feels. Hopefully we’ll get through all 5 levels by the time the next package is released.

Last edited:

Dexamalion

Explorer
Sounds like you had a good time, and it pretty much mirrors my experience I had in running the adventure today.

My team decided on heading straight for the Center House (how much of a boring name is that!) and clean that out thoroughly. The Wizard fell to 0 hit points fighting the wight, but otherwise they managed to get through it OK. They brought the crown back to town and were treated to a feast in their honor. They were keen to progress and try to get the Speaking Stones active again, so the fact that they had finished one part of the adventure did not mean they wanted to stop playing, which I took as a good sign. We had a lot more roleplaying and started on the search for the gems to activate the Speaking Stones.

The team was really enjoying it (1 mage, 1 cleric and 1 fighter) and the battles seemed fairly good on the balance scale. With 4 characters I can see it being a little easier.

One of the criticisms I had was that the characters did not have a lot to do other than their base attacks, and by the end of the session they were just saying "I do shocking grasp" and "I attack with my short sword" over and over again each round. I think next session they will have a better idea of some of the other ways they can use the expertise dice and such.

As I DM I had some fun with the advantage and disadvantage rules, the fighter was incensed when the Dragonshield Kobold was able to disrupt him and cause his attacks to be at disadvantage! The Wizard also chose to do some research about the history of Blingdenstone and the Gods the Svirfneblin worship before they went down there, which I gave him bonuses for when dealing with people down there.

I also as a DM struggled with the source material, there is a lot to keep in your head. I had read through the adventure the night before, but as it's non-linear and things can pop up all the time I found myself flicking through the chapters a LOT trying to keep up with the strands that the players were following up on. I don't think the players noticed my frantic fact-checking, but I was still feeling on the back foot with it all. Perhaps the next session with another read through will be better.

There was one rule I followed from the first playtest session into this one: if your ability score is 5 points higher than the DC that the skilltest is based upon, you win the test automatically. Is anyone else using this rule?

I did not like the use of feet as a system of measurement. The rest of the world has moved to metric, and the use of this really rankled me. As a system that's supposed to be inclusive this is a big red stamp that this system is American and it annoyed me. As I was using the Dungeon Mapp app for the iPad I was still able to use squares to represent the battles in the Centre House, but in the caverns outside I was forced my the map to use feet. I don't really have a good idea in my mind how far 100 feet is, and so it was difficult to translate from the map to our imagination.

In short:
1) I'd like more options for players in battle.
2) I'd like to move away from feet as a system of measurement.
3) I'd like to use more ability checks in combat to see what that looks like.

shadowmane

First Post
Sounds like you had a good time, and it pretty much mirrors my experience I had in running the adventure today.

My team decided on heading straight for the Center House (how much of a boring name is that!) and clean that out thoroughly. The Wizard fell to 0 hit points fighting the wight, but otherwise they managed to get through it OK. They brought the crown back to town and were treated to a feast in their honor. They were keen to progress and try to get the Speaking Stones active again, so the fact that they had finished one part of the adventure did not mean they wanted to stop playing, which I took as a good sign. We had a lot more roleplaying and started on the search for the gems to activate the Speaking Stones.

The team was really enjoying it (1 mage, 1 cleric and 1 fighter) and the battles seemed fairly good on the balance scale. With 4 characters I can see it being a little easier.

One of the criticisms I had was that the characters did not have a lot to do other than their base attacks, and by the end of the session they were just saying "I do shocking grasp" and "I attack with my short sword" over and over again each round. I think next session they will have a better idea of some of the other ways they can use the expertise dice and such.

As I DM I had some fun with the advantage and disadvantage rules, the fighter was incensed when the Dragonshield Kobold was able to disrupt him and cause his attacks to be at disadvantage! The Wizard also chose to do some research about the history of Blingdenstone and the Gods the Svirfneblin worship before they went down there, which I gave him bonuses for when dealing with people down there.

I also as a DM struggled with the source material, there is a lot to keep in your head. I had read through the adventure the night before, but as it's non-linear and things can pop up all the time I found myself flicking through the chapters a LOT trying to keep up with the strands that the players were following up on. I don't think the players noticed my frantic fact-checking, but I was still feeling on the back foot with it all. Perhaps the next session with another read through will be better.

There was one rule I followed from the first playtest session into this one: if your ability score is 5 points higher than the DC that the skilltest is based upon, you win the test automatically. Is anyone else using this rule?

I did not like the use of feet as a system of measurement. The rest of the world has moved to metric, and the use of this really rankled me. As a system that's supposed to be inclusive this is a big red stamp that this system is American and it annoyed me. As I was using the Dungeon Mapp app for the iPad I was still able to use squares to represent the battles in the Centre House, but in the caverns outside I was forced my the map to use feet. I don't really have a good idea in my mind how far 100 feet is, and so it was difficult to translate from the map to our imagination.

In short:

Well I guess that's good if the system of measurement is one of your only three gripes. The writers probably don't even think about the measurement system. Perhaps you should mention that when they send out the surveys. If it was me, I would just make a 1:1 conversion. 1' equals 1 meter and go with that. Converting would give you odd numbers.

Last edited:

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Thanks for the report! Typing from mobile or I'd be more verbose, but check out my "Improving Blingdenstone" thread. Other posters have linked to some great DM resources.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Other comments I have:

At first (a couple of sessions ago), I thought that Combat Superiority was too powerful, but when I give monsters the +2 to hit, it seems to work better for us.

Having so many Lore skills is a little confusing. More than 1 time in the last game, we had to break character to discuss which lore would be relevant for a specific check. I think the Lore skills should fall into larger categories if possible. I ended up telling players, don't worry...just roll your Intelligence check...forget about Lore (unless it was obvious how to apply it).

The rogue PC really slinks around like a rogue should. Against the larger opponent, he spent alternate actions to hide then sneak attack, and he did it willingly without complaint. As for the "take 10" plus bonuses for all trained skills, if the roll is a check (not a contest) I will ask the player to roll a d20 anyway even if he would succeed automatically. If he rolls a natural "1", I add a complicaton. This little change adds a lot of tension, but it isn't a huge nerf of the ability.

We are really loving "theater of the mind" again. Most of our combats can be resolved that way, but I'm glad that we can use a grid if we want to do so.

That's it for now.

D'karr

Adventurer
In short:

1. I agree, the system right now "feels" stale.
2. A long time ago I decided to change all measurement to "paces". A pace was 1" indoors, and 1 yard outdoors in AD&D, 5' in 3.x, and a square in 4e. This removed a lot of the "problems" with precise measurements. You have a speed of 30' that's 6 paces. If I'm using a grid that's 6 squares, and if I'm measuring by tape it's 6". You can take a 1 pace step in 3.x, and shift 1 pace in 4e.
3. Yes, and I always inject this into games by adding traps/hazards and other complications into the combats.

Dexamalion

Explorer
We are really loving "theater of the mind" again. Most of our combats can be resolved that way, but I'm glad that we can use a grid if we want to do so.

Man, you are so right there. After being kind of brainwashed by 4e and the grid I thought it was going to be rough getting back into the swing of things with TOTM, but we all fell straight into it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads