ZEITGEIST Starting Zeitgeist in 5e - Master thesis, Conversion and other shenanigans

I also forgot to ask, any chance the next adventure will be up and ready in the next 2 weeks? The last update was on October the 30th so I was hoping I maybe wouldn't have to convert the second adventure by myself.

From what I've seen, there's almost no chance at all. The EN5ider budget has to be split between converting ZEITGEIST and writing other articles for 5e players, so the adventure has to be parceled out slowly. From here on you'll have to wing it.

Levistej

First Post
So, I am glad to report that we finished the first adventure in a dramatic session that started with Asrabey literally exploding from a ship and wrecking carnage and ended with the party getting the wedding invitations from Lya.

What happened:
- they blew a lot of :):):):) up, including the armory and the stable where the teleportation circle was located (more on this later)
- they loved the interaction between the duchess, Asrabey and Nathan in which I played Asrabey and 2 of my players got handouts and notes to roleplay the other culprits
- they were terrified of going against the elf but decided it must be done when he cut the Ethelyns throat and bolted for the teleportation circle as soon as they exited the inner fort
- they looted a lot of stuff and seem to think they're somehow entitled to keep it (this, perhaps, is my fault)

THE EPIC SCENE:
As they've already been to the teleportation circle and disabled the trap I made a slight modification to the story arc. When Asrabey first appeared, he bolted straight to the circle and inserted a strange gadget thingy made from some gold like substance in to the mechanism. They've seen this cause they cleverly let one of their familiars hang back at the circle. To my surprise, they decided not to investigate. Instead, they followed the elf to the tower.

After the "act out loud" scene in the tower, Asrabey notices the party and makes his demands known - he'll give them the duchess but take the tiefling. No one demands rolling for insight, the party agrees and sends the other familiar to carry the message to the captain.

Almost instantly as they left the fort, all hell broke loose. Asrabey executed the duchess, he quickly ran towards the teleportation circle, his animated shield dragging Nathan a close 20 feet behind. As he sees where this is heading, the party's yerasol veteran decides to fire the flare gun thereby marking the stable as a target for the navy. (they cleverly thought of this earlier when clearing the town of enemy soldiers so I let it slide)

They can't hit Asrabey but manage to shake Nathan out of the Lion shields embrace. They follow the elf to the stable, most of them forgetting of faux air strike the vet called. As he yells at them from a safe distance, and they hear the ships bells, everyone runs for their lives and, luckily enough, they all make their dex saves.

They loved Asrabey so I made an on the spot decision that he managed to teleport away in the last second, which, for know, they suspect, but can't know for sure.

AFTERMATH:
The spirit medium asks 5 questions of the duchess, here is a rough sum up, as well as my answers:

1. Who do you still trust in Flint?
- I pointed out to Nevard and the skyseers

2. What's this Tiefling invasion you're so afraid of?
- she points to all the evidence on axis Island, they are unconvinced

3. How do we defeat Asrabey?
- she told them that there isn't a men fit to match his martial prowess but that his wife is the only one he'll listen to

4. What is the king afraid of?
- the king, much like Asrabey, fears not death or battle, he fears to dissapoint the common man, the average Risuri citizen, he wishes to leave a better future to his people, and failure in that department is his worst fear

5. Do you want us to tell anything to your brother?
- tell him I am sorry, tell him to be careful and tell him to not trust the devils

After all this, they are almost convinced that these events will cause a war where the danorans and the risuri will unite in destroying the elves of the dreaming. I barely held my laughter at that conclusion. :D

WHAT'S NEXT:
It was a really fun ride and I can't wait for them to start "The dying skyseer". But, as all DM's ever running a premade, I messed up a bit. Burton the goblin gave them some gloves of spider climbing to assist them on the mission. He will be promoted and decorated shortly and wants them back, as captain Rutger already told them.

They found a lot of stuff on the island and don't like the idea of giving it to the RHC although I made it clear from the beginning that was gonna be how the cookie crumbles. Any advice on how to handle that? I had the idea of Burton, in his new position, giving them a pass on the other items, as they're not so gamebreaking, if they return the gloves.

Among other things they also pocketed about 40 of the gold inlayed swords and mean to sell them. Should I just let it slide and make the audit hit home hard when the time comes?

Yeah, that's what the audit is for, and you can have them make checks to offload that much gold without being noticed, or recruited by Lorcan Kell.

I love the naval barrage. Four or five years ago I ran a game at GenCon, sort of a prequel, where one PC was Aodhan before he was king. It was a raid on the capital of Danor.

He fired on the city to distract forces. I worked it into canon, where now Danor claims Aodhan blew up an orphanage.

Levistej

First Post
Haven't started collecting yet, it's due about this time next year so I am not in a hurry. I am probably gonna be starting individual and group interviews in 2 weeks time. I'll firstly be writing papers for my Sports Anthropology and Anthropology of Childhood, which will be based on a part of the data I plan to use for my masters but focusing on different aspects and themes regarding roleplaying.

Concerning the campaign itself, my skyseer sent me a pm where she says she watches the stars for guidance. As I gave her visions without her asking any questions 2 times already, mostly just to ease her in to how this concept will function, should I give her a vision now even though the next adventure hasn't started yet or tell her to wait for the first night of "The dying skyseer" and then let her ask specific questions?

Levistej

First Post
She would prefer to get the visions before the mission even starts, I quickly came up with this:

A canary in a coalmine, it's eyes scared and slowly loosing it's curiosity as the darkness envelops it's very soul. A strong wind tries to enter the mine but is unable to breach the veil of darkness.

A blue bird watches a blood covered man running from a tall shadow. He tries to flee by horse, he tries to hide in the woods, but the foul creature is always nearby. The man seeks help in God fails to see that even the brightest altar can cast the darkest of shadows when wrong secrets reach the right ears.

A small elf and his companion jump in to a top hat that slides in to a river and swiftly sails guided by the eastern winds. A fisherman dressed in the finest clothes money can buy casts an invisible fishing line into the murky waters. A giant hook pierces the vessel as the fishermen gently pulls it in to his hand.

A spreading fire illuminates the horizon. As the blaze feed on it's suroundings, everything turns darker. Only the stars in the pitch blacks sky shine brighter, ever more of them appearing in the night sky as the landscape is consumed.

Any thoughts, is it too spoilerific?

I think you're good as far as spoilers. I do think the third sentence in the 'blue bird' one doesn't quite work as a vision, because what exactly is the skyseer 'seeing' that conveys that message?

Levistej

First Post
Maybe the doctor kneeling/praying/hiding in front of a church altar, a shadow of which he's unaware of rising over him? IDK, i find the skyseer mechanic very fun to use, but am always unsure if I'm giving her too much or too little.

Levistej

First Post
Also wanted to ask, what do you think is the best direction in which to nudge the investigation? I will give them a free choice on which clues to pursue, just want to know if any of you think a certain order in the investigation makes the story more fun for both the dm and the players.

If they investigate Nilasa's old buddies in jail it will surely lead to the smugglers; if they go and talk to Sechim it will most likely lead to the Cloudwood(this is what I presume they'll do); if they go after the doctor, they'll probably end up beaten to a pulp somewhere near parity lake. :D

I feel like the best course would be to nudge them towards the smugglers first and leave the doctor for last as that part of the adventure will reveal some mysteries I would not want out on the open too early.

Remove ads