• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starwars D20 Variations/House Rules?

AmorphousBlob

First Post
Ranger REG said:
It's in page 135 of the Hero's Guide. They treat it as an improvised throwing weapon with a -4 attack penalty and a range increment of 4 meters.

You could create a feat [tree] that would allow you to eliminate the penalty AND have the lightsaber return to you. It would require prereqs at least a Move Object of 4 ranks as well as proficiency with lightsaber.

And if you happen to be a fan of KOTOR (the CRPG that is based on d20 ruleset), you can allow an Improved feat that would strike up to three opponents before it return to you.
I have to get that book. As soon as I get a job and have some money on hand, I'm buying that one, even if I have to order it online.

Vexed

First Post
AmorphousBlob said:
I have to get that book. As soon as I get a job and have some money on hand, I'm buying that one, even if I have to order it online.

I just got a cool deal on ebay that and the equipment gude, which i hope has some adjustments for firearms and lightsabres as that is all my group keeps complaining about! lol I hear its a really good book, over 90 feats etc...

oh yeah and i hope you find a job too :)

Timeron Malachi

First Post
For throwing a lightsaber, wouldn't you simply make a ranged attack as normal, and then use Move Object as your move action to get it back? Or was Move Object an attack action?

Ranger REG

Explorer
Timeron Malachi said:
For throwing a lightsaber, wouldn't you simply make a ranged attack as normal, and then use Move Object as your move action to get it back? Or was Move Object an attack action?
Again, you throw it as an improvised ranged weapon as an attack action. You can retrieve it by using Move Object check as a move action, but only if the dropped lightsaber is 10 meters away.

Hmm. That doesn't sound right. By default, you use Move Object as a move action anyway.

maddman75

First Post
I like the idea of turning Force points into general Action Points, letting you do other things than get some bonus dice. First off though, you don't get enough of them. One per level just doesn't get it. Maybe I'll change it so your maximum is 3+level, and you get one back every session, in addition to an extra one back when you level. The big story award could give you multiple force points.

The extras we'll keep for attack rolls, it works pretty well. For acrobatics, a Force point could allow a character to take 20 on all skill checks related to the stunt. That would go a long way to let the characters do all kinds of crazy stuff. I'd let a player use one for a plot twist as well - He happens to find a desperately needed piece of equipment, runs into the right person, what have you.

Storyteller01

First Post
Khorod said:
This is already RAW. It's really annoying, particularly if you don't start with a force-class for rp reasons. But it is exactly appropriate to the setting.

The Skywalker ability allows them to cheat this rule, essentially letting them get Force-Sensitive from the first Force-User class they take, whenever they take it. I think that's a rather weak power for the Vurgence Family, but whatever. I'd have thought they'd get something like... oh... spend Force Points as though 5 levels higher.

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I thought the Skywalker Clan (as described in Vader's and Luke's Character descriptions) used Force abilities/Force Points as if they were three levels higher.

AmorphousBlob

First Post
Storyteller01 said:
Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I thought the Skywalker Clan (as described in Vader's and Luke's Character descriptions) used Force abilities/Force Points as if they were three levels higher.
They get both, actually.

Ranger REG said:
Gawd. I hate subliminal posting. :p

Instead of the standard multifire and autofire in Star Wars, use d20 Modern firearms attack rules.
I saw something today that reminded me of this post. I finally picked up Ultimate Adversaries at my FLGS, and in the back of it they have a paraphrased version of the d20M autofire rules as an alternate rule.

Essentially, target a 6m by 6m area (3 squares by 3 squares) with an autofire weapon, and you get one attack at +0 (total, not subject to modifiers like BAB or Dex) against every creature in the area of effect, and this consumes 20 shots of ammo.

Definitely getting used in my game (among other things, it's a way for a Destroyer Droid as a boss fight without it becoming a quick TPK, but I do have mixed feelings about this use, because the movies showed that Destroyer Droids are feared and powerful, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan ran from 2 of them, and Padme and her guards surrendered to a small group of them).

Acid_crash

First Post
A while ago for my own use I took the idea of generic classes from the DMG and applied it to Star Wars. I ended up with three classes, the Force User, the Warrior, and the Expert. This was before Blue Rose and True20 came out. In my version, I took each class ability from the Star Wars classes and made them into a single list of class abilities, and whenever a person gained a level that listed a Class Ability, they could select from any of the abilities available (which was a whole heck of a lot). I also did what they did in the DMG, with bonus feats, and ruled that whenever a character got a bonus feat, they could use it for another class ability instead of a feat.

I haven't had a chance to really play with these generic classes, and now that BR is out (and I just got it), I think I'm going to redo my generic classes to fit the BR rules a bit (no hit points, use damage saves) and go from there.

Khorod

First Post
Star Wars looks very much like it would work well with D20 Modern... which is what you described with generic classes and talents.

Remove ads