• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stat Block VS. Stat Layout

See the post!

• I like the stat block

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I like the stat layout

Votes: 33 55.9%
  • I dont like either. (give us an example of what you like)

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I would like to see both in a PDF product.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I would like to see both in a print product.

Votes: 6 10.2%

Geist

First Post
Ok I havent been around in a while, but im sort of back and have a question for all you consumers out there.

Stat block vs Stat layout.

What I mean by this is, as GM's or Players do you perfer the standard stat block of condensed text as found in most books. which is efficient on book space but can be hard to read sometimes if info is needed in a quick decision.

OR

do you perfer a stat layout more like what is seen for monsters in say the Monster Manual. which takes up some more space but is generaly easier to find what your looking for when you need it.

Im curious to find this out for my own devious means :p feel free to add comments. on the subject as well.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Layout!

I've made a customized version for my own use, which groups defense info at the top and attack info at the bottom, and includes the DC and an effect summary for special attacks, AND has separate lines for common "buff" conditions. E.g.:

Attack: +7/+7 (claw 1d6+2 +Poison [Fort DC 16, 1d4 Str])
Attack (Rage): +9/+9 (claw 1d6+4 +Poison [Fort DC 18, 1d4 Str])

-- N

ichabod

Legned
I prefer layout when prepping for game, and stat block when running the game. For adventures I would prefer to see stat blocks, with the layout in an appendix. For monster books I would prefer to see layouts with all of the stat blocks in .txt or .rtf as a web enhancement.

Geist

First Post
ichabod said:
I prefer layout when prepping for game, and stat block when running the game. For adventures I would prefer to see stat blocks, with the layout in an appendix. For monster books I would prefer to see layouts with all of the stat blocks in .txt or .rtf as a web enhancement.

so you find the statblock easier to reference while in game? or just like the fact that it takes up less space in your paperwork?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I like the stat block. I use the MM layout with characters I'm writing out by hand (PCs, mostly), because it gives me more room to add information, but the efficiencies of a stat block are great if I don't need to advance the level of the creature -- for example, if it's just a monster the group's fighting.

Davelozzi

Explorer
Layout for monster books or anywhere else where a new monster is being introduced with full description. Stat blocks are better for adventures, to conserve space.

wocky

Masterwork Jabberwock
I always prepare index cards with NPCs stats in my own personal layout, which has the usual information you'd expect (AC, hp, HD, Attack bonuses, Saves) and other information you might not (Feats which should be used in combat, DCs and short description of Special Attacks, Listen, Spot and Sense Motive bonuses, etc.)

Whatever format a book uses it's probably not as useful as an index card, which I can easily use behind the screen, or carry around the table if I need to move closer to the battle mat (I'm gaming in a huge dining table now!).

Shallown

First Post
I like a stat layout mainly becuase once you get to med to high levels 7 and up the encounters get complicated and having room to highlight and make notes during the game helps. I find the Stat blocks useful for encounters not meant to be a fight and stat layouts for combat encounters. So A towns folk could be stat blocks even if a character may fight them it isn't likely as say an ogre.

but that's just me.

later

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads