• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stat book price breakdown?

ciaran00

Explorer
Could anyone try and give me a price breakdown of one of the stat books (Gainful exercise +1, for example)? I don't see how one can cost 27,500 gp when gloves of Dex +1 would be about 1,000 gp.... Are they factoring in caster levels for the wish/miracle? If so, then the cost is insanely high and doesn't match the 27.5k. Any help's appreciated, thanks.

ciaran

Limper

First Post
They factored in the (5000 x att point gained) xp cost otherwise they are very cheap.

In all honesty when I play a wizard there is no way in hell I would make one of these for anyone but myself. If I could be persuaded I would charge alot more than 5 gps per Xp. Nothing short of a quest or two in addition to the list cost.

Last edited:

Pax

Banned
Banned
The Tomes are extremely powerful because their benefits cannot be taken away. Once the Tome/Manual has been used, you have an Inherent Bonus to that attribute -- and noone can dispel it, AFAIK not even an AMF will eliminate it.

Whereas the Enhancement-bonus type items can be taken away, disjunctioned, dispelled, or simply nullified by an AMF.

Halivar

First Post
Pax is right. Not only are it's affects permenant, nondispellable... it stacks. Given enough time and enough money, a spellcaster can make themselves... well... ungodly powerful.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Halivar said:
Pax is right. Not only are it's affects permenant, nondispellable... it stacks. Given enough time and enough money, a spellcaster can make themselves... well... ungodly powerful.

No, Halivar ... sorry, but inherent Bonusses do not stack.

If you read a +2 Tome of Leadership, and a +3 tome of Leadership ... you have two inherent bonusses, +2 and +3. And they don't stack, so only the +3 has any effect.

The highest inherent bonus you can ever have -- even at epic levels -- is +5, and only +5.

ciaran00

Explorer
Limper said:
They factored in the (5000 x att point gained) xp cost otherwise they are very cheap.

In all honesty when I play a wizard there is no way in hell I would make one of these for anyone but myself. If I could be persuaded I would charge alot more than 5 gps per Xp. Nothing short of a quest or two in addition to the list cost.
Thanks for your answer... so the price comes from:
1,250 (base cost) + 1,000 (stat increase +1) + 5,100 x 5 (XP expenditure) = 27,750. I guess it's off by 250 gp ;)

ciaran

KerlanRayne

Explorer
ciaran00 said:
Thanks for your answer... so the price comes from:
1,250 (base cost) + 1,000 (stat increase +1) + 5,100 x 5 (XP expenditure) = 27,750. I guess it's off by 250 gp ;)

ciaran

Actually, I think the pricing is more like this:
+1 Stat x 2,500gp + (5,000xp x 5gp) = 27,500gp
+2 Stat x 2,500gp + (10,000xp x 5gp) = 55,000gp
+3 Stat x 2,500gp + (15,000xp x 5gp) = 82,500gp
etc....

KerlanRayne

Steverooo

First Post
In a way, though, these books are a STEAL!

Don't they still disappear, when read? If so, then they are no longer counted against your GP total, and you can get the +5 Inherent Bonus, then add a +5 Enhancement item, to boot (once you recoup the lost GP).

They're well worth the price!

Halivar

First Post
Pax said:
The highest inherent bonus you can ever have -- even at epic levels -- is +5, and only +5.
You're right. There goes my insidious plan to achieve god-like powers at level 17.

DM: What do you do now that you're in town?
Me: I go to the magic store and buy 10 copies of the Manual of Bodily Health (+5). I got the gold, if you want to count it.

Actually, though, I meant to say that it stacks with magical ability bonuses gained from equipment. The thought of reading multiple copies of the same tome had not occurred to me, though I'm glad WotC covered that base.

dcollins

Explorer
Steverooo said:
Don't they still disappear, when read? If so, then they are no longer counted against your GP total, and you can get the +5 Inherent Bonus, then add a +5 Enhancement item, to boot (once you recoup the lost GP).

That's definitely an odd way of looking at it. In-game, the equipment tables are just guidelines -- there's no rule even suggesting that a DM hand out extra treasure just because someone is under the total (or restrict them if they're over). But moreover, the inherent bonus costs definitely are counted against your GP total in any kind of character-build or tournament situation where it's actually an issue.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads