Stat limit of 20?

Makuie

First Post
I'm pretty new to D&D and I rolled a 20 for my characters dexterity stat and my race includes a +2 to dexterity. Would that be added on to the 20 or go into my +5 bonus attached to the 20?

Grue AC

First Post
It caps at 20 so anything past is wasted. Just curious but how did you roll a 20? Most DM use 3d6 for stats and most you can get that way is 18.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
I'm pretty new to D&D and I rolled a 20 for my characters dexterity stat and my race includes a +2 to dexterity. Would that be added on to the 20 or go into my +5 bonus attached to the 20?

You should not be able to get stats higher than 18 without racial bonuses. If your DM is doing a home ruling on how you roll for stats that allows for you to roll a 20 on a stat then you need to discuss with him if 20 would still be considered the natural cap.

To answer your question, if you have a race that gives +2 to Dex then you add that point value to the total. So if you had a 17 the +2 would give you a 19 and thus a +4 to Dex abilities and Saves. Under standard rules you can not exceed 20 in a Stat unless by magical means.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
I've not heard of any DM using the D20 for stats. I think you likely rolled the wrong dice. That said, in RAR the ways to get higher than 20 are the various magical items that can do it, a Wish spell or Divine Intervention might be allowed, and the barbarian 20th level ability bonus to Strength and Constitution. anything else?

I've not heard of any DM using the D20 for stats.
The very first time I played AD&D, when I was in middle school, my DM had us roll d20 for stats. Of course, I hadn't read the rule book yet, so I had no idea what I was doing. In retrospect, I don't think he really knew what he was doing, either.

AD&D was a weird time to try and learn the game, because everyone was using house rules, and it was difficult to try and figure out which rules were actually in the book. Going from one table to another would be a huge ordeal.

FarBeyondC

Explorer

It would be added to your dexterity score, which in this case would be 20, making it a 22 and your bonus +6.

Unless I missed something (other than the "adventurers can have ability scores as high as 20" non-rule), there's nothing stopping the racial bonus from taking you over 20.

CydKnight

Explorer
It would be added to your dexterity score, which in this case would be 20, making it a 22 and your bonus +6.

Unless I missed something (other than the "adventurers can have ability scores as high as 20" non-rule), there's nothing stopping the racial bonus from taking you over 20.
Rules as written clearly state that Adventurer's can only have ability scores as high 20 at character creation. I don't have a Player's Handbook handy but I can look up the page number and post it later if someone else does not.

Remove ads