• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stat Polarity and the new PHB2 feat

Sadrik

First Post
Actually an ability involving pattern recognition and predictive comprehension allows you to better predict where the next attack is likely to be coming from and also points to more decisive choices about movement.. Intelligence is analysis of the patterns and the speed of doing so.... and is not in the slightest related to how many books you have consumed...
What is more intriguing is that when you place heavy armor on your body, you cannot recognize those "matrix-like" patterns anymore. Please, this is just a construct of a neat idea and adapted to not make sense but to some how balance the game in their own mind. I don't even think it does that.

Besides in my mind INT represents learned knowledge this is why animals have a low INT. Perhaps, in 4e INT means something different now, the ability to go all "matrix-like".

How in hell strength on the other hand is going to defend against psychic attack I will never know... hand waving hand waving ... well thats just magic it doesnt need to make sense does it? ick.
Again it is a fabricated construct.

OK strength does allow one to move ones body "faster" in a burst sort of fashion its the reason it can make sense for attacking with a sword... and could be used for sort of last minute movement... which might be instinctual like muscle memory and get you out of the way of any attack which is terrestrial in speed.
So it could make sense for a Strength to be applied to AC too. Again naturally the defenses fit into CON, DEX and WIS. Outside that you have to do some explaining.

What do the stats actually represent in 4e?
It seems to me that they have muddied WIS up even more than in previous editions. What does WIS represent? Looking at the skills, it is not all that clear. It is some form of knowledge or is it sensing the world? Is it Willpower? Like in the past it is a I don't know where to put this so here WIS you do it.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
What is more intriguing is that when you place heavy armor on your body, you cannot recognize those "matrix-like" patterns anymore. Please, this is just a construct of a neat idea and adapted to not make sense but to some how balance the game in their own mind. I don't even think it does that.
Apparently even if you see the patterns and predict the motions to do the timing and movements involved your movement needs to be unimpaired.
A fight is most definitely a pattern and you dont need a scifi explanation for that... but check out the Mentats from Dune if you want one. ;-)
Besides in my mind INT represents learned knowledge
In your mind eh?
Intelligence / IQ - irl doesn't go up with age - there is way too much
evidence against it being learned.. the fact that it enhances learning some things is beside the point .... Me thinks some of your scoffing is for fun and retro oriented stubbornness, which is all fine and good because I am stretching my imagination for fun an anti-retro stubbornness.

So it could make sense for a Strength to be applied to AC too.

Wisdom is easy to apply to even physical defense. under the banner of perception... and understanding humanoid/creature body language apparently.
Charisma is spirit/emotive energy but also divine guidance (atleast for a Paladin/Cleric) ... so ofcourse the divine could guide ones defense.

And yes I think perception and divine guidance could be used for any defense...

Will Power = discepline and or spirit makes perfect sense to me.(the old definition of charisma is useless accept it.. you will be happier)
Reflexes = mental (pattern recog/analysis and mental response and maybe even decisiveness) and physical response time and precision.
Fortitude = well now Strength has always seemed dependent and inter-related to health because exercise generates one...and exercise generates the other(though in real life strength and stamina are two opposed forms of exercise - just like fast twitch and slow twitch are opposed). Not sure how Strength applies to resisting diseases or similar things unless you just accept that somebody who exercises more with the higher strength probably should have been given higher health rating and that con is not the be-all end all of health but is closer to a measure of stamina training.... ie both reflect HEALTH ..... even if con is normally given the high billing for it....

OK my imagination is feeling all squishy...

Sadrik

First Post
Me thinks some of your scoffing is for fun and retro oriented stubbornness, which is all fine and good because I am stretching my imagination for fun an anti-retro stubbornness.
Well I think you know that I have no problem with the 4e design fiat of any stat = any function. You sort of have to hand wave it. Trying to explain it gets you into trouble. I think that was the point. There are some natural positions for the defenses, outside of that you have to stretch to explain how they work. Again this is no more stretchy than warlocks targeting their powers with their incredible toughness. Or any other "different" combination.

OK my imagination is feeling all squishy...
Don't try, getting back to the original point of stat polarity. It does make things very simple if you were to simply say pick your primary, secondary and tertiary. Since we already are hand waving "realism" (whatever that is) then we might as well make the game function better. No need to have in game limiters that tell you were you should put your stats or else you will be sub-optimal. I'll cite back to the rogue example on the previous page.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Again this is no more stretchy than warlocks targeting their powers with their incredible toughness. Or any other "different" combination.

I can't help myself, for some reason.. painful magic which you have to resist or you falter and weaken loosing your aim. yes It works pretty well for a Conlock.

heheheh...
ummm sorry.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads