Stated Level Ranges in 1e and 2e Modules

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
No 1e module will have enough experience opportunities to bring a 5th level character to 10th by the end. The range is a spread based on the number of PCs.
True, but if you're using the xp-for-gp rules keep in mind some of those modules have boatloads of treasure in them, for those who look for it.

The level ranges given also don't account for how many magic possessions your party has. A module that says 5-10 on the cover could be taken on by 6 5th-level characters with loads of magic items, or 6 7th-8th level types with less magic, or 6 10th-level types with next to no magic at all. That said, always read the module first in any case; I've hit one or two where the suggested level ranges didn't quite match the module and it's better to realize this before you start in on running it. :)

Lan-"and don't forget 1e had training rules; by the book you couldn't level up in the field anyway"-efan

JonnyP71

Explorer
I'm currently running a side campaign using 1E and playing some of the classics, as my gaming group are mostly too young to have experienced them, and have been looking at issues of level ranges and party size... the reason being we run a 5E campaign when at least 6 of the 7 of us are available, but run the side campaign when we have fewer - meaning party size is crucial.

We started U1, Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh with 6 level 1 characters - 4 PCs and 2 henchmen. Stated party levels for the adventure are 1-3, recommended party size 5-10. For those who don't know the adventure it consists of a Haunted House and its surroundings, followed by an assault on a Ship - and in the plot they are split by several weeks. This worked out very nicely.... 6 level 1 characters is perfect for the opening chapter, they succeeded, but 4 PCs got knocked to negative Hit Points in the process (playing the death at -10 rule). They then got 2 weeks in which to rest in town, recuperate, and train if applicable.

Chapter 2 is much more difficult - if they were still level 1 they would have been annihilated, but with 4 of the 6 at level 2, and the addition of the 2 town militia to the party, it worked perfectly again.

So in my opinion, U1 is nicely designed to allow the necessary advancement during the adventure in order to enable the party to cope with the added difficulty later on. Equally, had it been a big party (8-10), they would have waltzed through the opening chapter with a lot more ease, but probably not got enough xp for anyone to be level 2 - apart from maybe the Thief - meaning chapter 2 remains a proper challenge.

I do think they've overstated the level range for the adventure though - it's only suitable for a very small group of level 3s, or maybe 1 level 3 along with 5-6 level 1.

Next up is N1 - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - recommended for 4-6 characters of levels 1-3. You'd think that would mean it is easier than U1, but it is not, far from it. However we will be playing it with a group right in the middle of that level range (4 level 2s (2 fighters, mage, cleric) and 1 level 3 (thief) - 4 PCs and a Henchman) which should be about right.

Quite often those level ranges are only a rough guide, the DM needs to read the material thoroughly and take into account the play style and capability of their players. My group's PCs don't have great stats, and have arranged them to fit a character idea rather than as is optimal. The Thief for example got a 17, but put that on Strength, and has 14 Dex, because he wanted to be more thuggish. One of the Fighters has no stats above 14, and the Mage is prone to running into melee wielding a frying pan!

Last edited:

Remove ads