• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Stats and CR for a very young gold dragon?

Im making a magic tabard for a druid that allows her to take gold dragon form at lvl 6 (wyrmling) and at lvl 20 (young). I cant find stats or the CR of a very young. I figured one form intween 6th lvl and 20 would be a good idea, hehe.
It also provides, DV, +2 AC, read/write/speak draconic and adv when interacting with metalic dragons but disadv. with chromtaiv.
ooh, and allows wis bonus added to fire damage spells

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
In 5e, dragons have four age categories: wyrmling, young, adult, and ancient. That's it.

If you want to make up a new category or variant, have a ball.

futrtrubl

Explorer
That sounds really really powerful. A wyrmling is CR4 already so that's better than a Moon druid can do at lvl 6. Plus most of the benefit of being a Draconic ancestry Sorc in one.

Well, the wyrmling is CR3 so thats on par with Moon circle.
I also agree, this tabbard will be a legendary item. Its quite strong but it wont break the game.
This player is very timmid and Im hoping that with this she may get excited and come out of her shell.
Ive designed powerful items for all party members though. They are in an epic game style game and so Im giving them all custom designed items to make them feel like JSL members and not just JSA!

freeWeemsy

First Post
To keep things consistent, she shouldn't be able to transform into a wyrmling(CR3) until level 9.

Circle Forms: ... Starting at 6th level, you can transform into a beast with a challenge rating as high as your druid level divided by 3, rounded down.

If the goal is to give this to her at level 6 instead of gold dragon, a bronze dragon would be more on par with the balanced challenge rating.

If you were to go with bronze instead of gold, for an in-between form I would take the Young Bronze Dragon, make the bit and claw only 1d10+5 and 1d6+5 respectively. Also lower the breath weapon do deal 6d10 damage, and reduce the HP down to an average of about 90. This should take things down to a more reasonable level.

Valdier

Explorer
To keep things consistent, she shouldn't be able to transform into a wyrmling(CR3) until level 9.

Circle Forms: ... Starting at 6th level, you can transform into a beast with a challenge rating as high as your druid level divided by 3, rounded down.

If the goal is to give this to her at level 6 instead of gold dragon, a bronze dragon would be more on par with the balanced challenge rating.

If you were to go with bronze instead of gold, for an in-between form I would take the Young Bronze Dragon, make the bit and claw only 1d10+5 and 1d6+5 respectively. Also lower the breath weapon do deal 6d10 damage, and reduce the HP down to an average of about 90. This should take things down to a more reasonable level.

Maybe give three forms...

Bronze, then silver, then gold (and definitely lower their breaths and hp's a bit)

I like your ideas.
I think perhaps Ill make it a Cloak of the Wyrmling. Ill have Chromatic forms.

Im thinking 4th black wyrmling, 6th white wyrmling, 9th blue wyrmling, 12th red wyrmling, 15th young white and 20th young black.

Ill still give the +2 Ac and resistance for the last type of dragon form used.

Remove ads