• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stats modifiers and +1/2 level. Where does it apply?

We know that the +1/2 level apply to attack rolls, skills rolls and defenses.

do we know for sure if it apply somewhere else? I've heard that it applies to all uses of stat modifiers (i.e. damage) but I'd like to know if it was official or just a rumor.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Mentat55

First Post
According to R&C, it applies to AC as well. Even if this isn't official, it has to -- otherwise, AC loses out to attack bonus in the arms race.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I'm 99% positive that it applies to AC. But I don't think it applies to damage. Damage dealing is very flat across the spectrum. If you look at the damage output of a high level monster compared to a low level monster, there is some difference but not much.

I expect that increased damage from high level characters will come from higher level powers doing more base damage, level based stat bumps which increase the modifier and thus damage, and bonuses gained from wielding magical weapons.

I predict that PCs are expected to gain a +1 weapon/implement every 3 levels or so. Unlike prior editions where +5 was as high as it goes, I think by level 30 characters could conceivably have +10 weapons/implements (they are epic after all). With another +3 to +5 in damage coming from stat bumps, this amounts to about the same as just adding 1/2 level to damage.

So to keep the game balanced with magical weapons and stat bumps, I predict there will not be a 1/2 level modifier added to damage.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Just Another User said:
Isn't AC only reflex defense+bonuses from armor and other stuff anyway?

If so, AC scales with level, since we know the other defenses get the 1/2 level bonus. I hope it's not, though: I'd rather AC and reflex be independent values, and allow conditions and equipment to alter them separately. That would fit with the goal of reducing math--much of the annoyance in 3e stems from having tons of dependent variables in the system. AC should get the 1/2 level bonus, but it should be a completely independent variable unto itself.

Stogoe

First Post
Just Another User said:
Isn't AC only reflex defense+bonuses from armor and other stuff anyway?

No.

AC is 10+1/2 level*+Armor Bonus(+Dex/Int if you're wearing Light Armor**)

Reflex Defense is 10+1/2 level*+Class bonus+Dex/Int.

So they're similarly derived, sure. But I don't think AC will be defined as 'Reflex defense+Armor.'

*I'm assuming. But it's almost guaranteed.

** I'd also bet that Fighters can get their Dex/Int with heavy armor. R&C seems to support this.

Remove ads