• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Statting your favorite literary characters

Would this be a good time to stat out characters from Monty Python's Holy Grail?...Black Knight's "Bleed on me"?...no? All right then...

I was trying to extricate myself from this utterly weird and inexplicable train-wreck that the OP had fixated upon, but hey, since you're doubling down on it...why not...

1) I have 2500 some posts. Of my posting history, perhaps 5 (if you're scoring at home, that is perhaps .002 % ish) of my posts have completely silly and benign of thread relevance (typically just a follow-on of one or another lines of silliness that was perpetuated earlier in the thread) ...of which my post in this thread was not. My posting history is literally a Biblical DELUGE of formal, lengthy (TLDR lengthy) posts analyzing system components, GMing techniques, and general RPG issues. THAT is what I'm known for. The utterly detached from reality idea that I somehow have a posting history of drive-by thread-crapping is flat-out bizarre. I couldn't even begin to try to figure out where it came from...so I won't.

2) Again, the OP asked for favorite LITERARY characters. Monty Python's Holy Grail is CINEMATIC. I get what you're aiming for. Like the OP, you're somehow trying to arrange reality that my post was OMG SO TOXIC to your serious business post about statting your favoirte literary characters. You're both doing a terrible job at it and you're both quite wrong. So stop. I was trying to exit the thread and let the moment pass, but no, not now.

3) With LITERARY meaning "of or pertaining to the content of the written work, specifically those works valued for the quality of their form" and that being the stipulation for contriving a character in PC-build form, Odd Thomas is 100 % in play. Moreover, he is sort of Dean Koontz's analogue to King's Roland Deschain from the Dark Tower series. They are both Paladins in fantasy genres where the metaphysical is an extremely real aspect of existence. The set-dressing and circumstances are different, but there is plenty of overlap in themes. So if the stipulation goal posts shift to FANTASY LITERATURE, Odd is still very much in play. Humility, courage, grace, sacrifice, duty-bound, steadfastness are the virtues of the Paladin. There is no better exemplar that I can think of than Odd Thomas. I absolutely adore my favorite LITERARY character.

4) I wrote his Wisdom and Charisma as off the freaking charts for a reason. For his setting, they are far beyond what your everyday person possesses. His shrewdness, powers of perception, extra-sensory perception and his charm, wit, presence, courage are profound. It if is such a freaking big deal that he not break the cap, then put both of them at 20. Also, I forgot Constitution. That should probably be at 16ish as it is definitely a player in his conflicts and he always rises to the challenge.

I figured that some other folks might like Odd Thomas as well and it might be an area of interest to figure out his traits, bonds, flaws and features for 5e (the ability scores are the least interesting facet for sure). So I posted. Boy did that backfire. So please, out of courtesy for not threadcrapping (I APPARENTLY HAVE SUCH A TENDENCY TO DO THAT, OH MY!) the OP's serious business literary character thread, please don't bring me back into this and threadcrap yourself.

Uller

Adventurer
... I get what you're aiming for. Like the OP, you're somehow trying to arrange reality that my post was OMG SO TOXIC to your serious business post about statting your favoirte literary characters. You're both doing a terrible job at it and you're both quite wrong. So stop.

I was more making light of the OP's indignation that his thread about statting out fictional characters for formalized rules for make believe might include a little humor.

Sadrik

First Post
Elric
STR 8 DEX 14 CON 8 INT 18 WIS 10 CHA 14
Background Noble
Class Wizard (Conjurer)/Fighter
Level 13/2

Blackrazer (renamed Stormbringer)

Everything else does not matter. ;)

Uller

Adventurer
Elric
STR 8 DEX 14 CON 8 INT 18 WIS 10 CHA 14
Background Noble
Class Wizard (Conjurer)/Fighter
Level 13/2

Blackrazer (renamed Stormbringer)

Everything else does not matter. ;)
Wouldn't Elric be a pactblade warlock with Stormbringer as his pact weapon? I always thought that was the point of the warlock class.

Taronkov

Explorer
Take the weapon proficiency. Same thing would need to be done for the Anomander Rake build posted a little bit earlier. Not sure how I feel about him as a 20th level Warlock either. I feel like he needs some levels in fighter, which is why I said he needs to break the 20 level boundry. He's no doubt a 20th level caster as he beat 4-5 High Mages(sort of) but he's also a master swordsman with Dragnipur and I believe, though I would have to check source material, that he wore armor.

Mallus

Legend
I feel like he needs some levels in fighter, which is why I said he needs to break the 20 level boundry. He's no doubt a 20th level caster as he beat 4-5 High Mages(sort of) but he's also a master swordsman with Dragnipur and I believe, though I would have to check source material, that he wore armor.
Good point re: armor. Let's make Rake a Fighter 2/Warlock 18. That'll give him the heavy armor and an Action Surge. I don't see the need to break the level 20 cap. Power is relative; makes more sense to scale other characters down.

And Rake's something like a 7th rank Seguleh (sp??). An excellent swordsman, though far from the best.

BTW, Warlock seemed appropriate because a lot Malazan magic use seems to be, "blast away with impunity using Warren energy".

Last edited:

Remove ads