• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Statue and Stoneskin?

Neumannium

First Post
Hi all,

I have a question about the spells Statue and Stoneskin.

I'm pitting the PCs against a lich who happens to have both of these spells. What happens when he has both cast on him and he turns into a statue?

Does the 10/adamantine still apply? If so, and he's hit for 20 points of damage with a non-adamantine weapon, what happens?

I guess I need help with clarifying the rules for breaking/smashing items, too, because he then would be considered an item?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Henrix

Explorer
Yes, the Stoneskin would still be in effect, but DR doesn't stack*, so he would have 10/adamantine for as long as the Stoneskin lasted, and then you'd use his hardness of 8.

I don't think casting Statue on yourself in a hostile situation is a good tactic, really. Possibly if you have a lot of spells without somatic or verbal components (or Psionics), but hardly even then.

* Even though this is a special case. Normally only objects have hardness, and creatures DR, but I'd say they don't stack anyway.

Neumannium

First Post
From the 3.5 SRD:

The subject of a statue spell can return to its normal state, act, and then return instantly to the statue state (a free action) if it so desires, as long as the spell duration is in effect.

My thought was that he could be have statue on him and still act every round. I was assuming that the 'statue' form and the harness of 8 would decrease the chance of him taking damage each round when it's not his turn...

From what Henrix is saying, perhaps I'm not thinking of how to use this spell correctly...

Any help?

DanMcS

Explorer
Meh, buh, makes my brain hurt.

Flavorwise, I would go with, while he's in statue form, he has hardness 8. While he's in human form to act, and could be hit with readied actions or AoOs, he has stoneskin in effect, DR 10/adamantine. That would seem ok to me.

You just have to accept that the PCs can exploit the same combo later on.

Last edited:

Remove ads