statue of baphomet in detroit - discuss civily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Trust me, Umbran: there's a reason why the basic degree in Econ is a BA, NOT a BS (though it really oughtta be). :D

Econ is too variable to truly be science...at least, at this point in time. This is one thing that fans of Albert Laffer's supply-side economic theory don't understand. While Economics uses the scientific method, terminology and even some of the high-end math of hard science, results can vary wildly and conform to more than one school. It has too many soft variables that cannot be controlled for, including human irrationality. It has more descriptive than predictive power.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I think of it this way...

We have science in physics. We have pretty solid theories there that cover wide realms of the world, that can predict the movement of . . . . . , sofas, . . . . .

I know many a married man that will contest this claim.

reelo

Hero
Concerning the discussion about understanding science and the "scientific method" in general, some smart man (whose name eludes me) once said:
"Believing is being content with not wanting to know."
I think this sums it up pretty well.
My wife is pretty religious (me being an atheist, and her a muslim) and whenever I *try* to explain certain things to her, she pretty much goes "lalalala" with her fingers in her ears. It's frustrating.
Of course, I feel her religiosity is a waste, and she thinks I'm damned to an eternity in hell. ;)
Other than that, we do get along fine...

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Scientific Method is the ultimate "verify, then trust", which is why some people treat it as a religion, they forget to "verify" - in a religion, "trust" is essential, but the "empirically verify with repeatable experiments" is not.
"

of course you have the whole end of therotical physics that features oscillating universes and quantum foam where the science is almost entirely speculative and based on trust and indeed faith rather than verifability.

or is Quantum not science?

Staffan

Legend
of course you have the whole end of therotical physics that features oscillating universes and quantum foam where the science is almost entirely speculative and based on trust and indeed faith rather than verifability.

At this point, the more advanced levels of quantum physics is at the relatively (heh) early stages of the scientific method: hypotheses have been made, those hypotheses are consistent with available data, but they have not been verified.

Basically, it's like saying that we can see this:
Quantum1.png

And based on that, that the world looks like this:
Quantum2.png

It could look different, but the current theory seems to be the one that best fits the available facts.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure

[humor]Nope, its faith, not science. Mysticism I tell ya - MAGIC![/humor]

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Well, large parts of quantum mechanics are used... to make the computer you're reading this on work. So, it is definitely science.

And, you misunderstand the purpose and position of those speculative theories in the overall process of science. Those theories are put together for purposes of testing them. First, you work out to see if the math of your new theory fits already observed data. Then, you see if it predicts new things that other theories don't predict, that you might try to test. Then, sometimes your math is way ahead of what we have machines to test, and you have to wait. The recently discovered Higgs boson being a great example - the basic math of it was worked out in the 1960s. It took decades for them to be able to build a machine that would work at high enough energy to detect the darned thing!

There is no "trust and faith" involved in these - people in the business don't hold them up as the way the world actually works until such time as they have been tested.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
o

That sentence doesn't mean anything. There are areas of quantum physics which are used to build things right now. So if they're not science, you're not reading this. There are other (mathematically viable) areas which are hypothetical in nature and have yet to be tested, and nobody (except random quacks) claim they're anything but.

Some stuff becomes a theory, which means it has been peer reviewed, repeatedly tested, and used to predict things which have been shown to be true. And then they use it to build a microchip or a satellite. And folks then use that very equipment to claim the very science they're using is operating by 'faith' or some such. :)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Econ is too variable to truly be science...at least, at this point in time. This is one thing that fans of Albert Laffer's supply-side economic theory don't understand. While Economics uses the scientific method, terminology and even some of the high-end math of hard science, results can vary wildly and conform to more than one school. It has too many soft variables that cannot be controlled for, including human irrationality. It has more descriptive than predictive power.

I don't think it's really a question of being too variable to be a science. Rather, I just think, in the social sciences (my background is in poli sci), we're looking at extremely complex systems. That renders them more suited for historical analysis and description than prediction, sure, but I think understanding and measurement can be improved scientifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads