• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Status of White Wolf lawsuit against Underworld?

Scaramanga

First Post
I remember reading that White Wolf was suing the producers of Underworld for copyright issues. What became of this? Have they settled out of court?

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Scaramanga said:
I remember reading that White Wolf was suing the producers of Underworld for copyright issues. What became of this? Have they settled out of court?
I believe, to a point, that was 'resolved' behind closed doors...not in court. Beyond that, who knows. Or the case was thrown out, again, it is not known on how it ended.

Ranger REG said:
So in this undisclosed settlement, who is paying to whom? Gawd, I hope it's White [removed by mod] Wolf that is paying Sony.

One, very unlikely.

Two, would you care to explain that bracketed comment? As a frequent freelancer for WW, and friends with many of its staff, I'm finding it very difficult not to take that as a personal insult.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ranger REG said:
My bad. It's been removed. I just feel the company don't have a case, only the author stated as the plaintiff in the lawsuit.

Okay, that's fair. I know a lot of people who feel the way you do. Personally, having seen the portions of the papers that were (briefly) made public, I think the case was strong enough to warran the suit, though I can't say for sure if it was a winning case or not.

I was just thrown by the specific term, since it has connotations that you (obviously) hadn't intended. It's all good, though. :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Thanks for resolving the issue, gang. It's appreciated. The phrase that was being bandied about was definitely not the right one for here.

I'm editing quoted posts to remove it as well.

Last edited:

Scaramanga

First Post
Law suit

Well, I guess perhaps we'll never know what became of this. But when I heard today that a company was being sued over the Jennifer Lopez movie Enough, and another was being sued over Steve Martin's Bringing Down the House, I remembered that I never heard how the whole Underworld thing was resolved.

Oh, and I also heard a rumor that M. Night's The Village was stepping on someone's copyright toes. I don't actually believe that all of these huge film studios go around ripping people off with such regularity, but rather that there are a lot of similar ideas out there, and sometimes one person's (unproduced) script ends up resembling someone else's (produced) script. After all, there's nothing new under the sun . . .

Waiting with cringed shoulders for the next D&D movie,

S

Chun-tzu

First Post
For what it's worth, they're moving ahead on a sequel to the movie (currently in pre-production). So I'm guessing it's been resolved somehow.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Scaramanga said:
Well, I guess perhaps we'll never know what became of this. But when I heard today that a company was being sued over the Jennifer Lopez movie Enough, and another was being sued over Steve Martin's Bringing Down the House, I remembered that I never heard how the whole Underworld thing was resolved.

Oh, and I also heard a rumor that M. Night's The Village was stepping on someone's copyright toes. I don't actually believe that all of these huge film studios go around ripping people off with such regularity, but rather that there are a lot of similar ideas out there, and sometimes one person's (unproduced) script ends up resembling someone else's (produced) script. After all, there's nothing new under the sun . . .

Waiting with cringed shoulders for the next D&D movie,

S

WOW...where you have been:eek: , the next...*cough* movie *cough*.....D&D2 is heading for video tape.

(check the News Section...the info is there)

Remove ads