Steal This Rule: Trust

...and we're all pointing and laughing... Reputation systems have been a bugaboo for many heroic-fantasy genre games for some time. Vastly abstract, or with relatively little relevance for the effort put into them, most reputation systems languish, overly detailed and un-used, between the pages of dusty old tomes in our gaming libraries. There is a reputation system that defies this...

Blog-Trust.jpg

...and we're all pointing and laughing...

Reputation systems have been a bugaboo for many heroic-fantasy genre games for some time. Vastly abstract, or with relatively little relevance for the effort put into them, most reputation systems languish, overly detailed and un-used, between the pages of dusty old tomes in our gaming libraries.

There is a reputation system that defies this. Relevant, effective, and granular without being overly detailed, this system does more than measure how well-liked a given party is in a region: it helps the DM to sprinkle plot lines, to get an idea of a party’s direction, and even to track time and the changes that the party can bring to an area.

What follows is one of the best reputation systems I've seen. Enjoy.

HOW IT WORKS

There is a group of NPC’s that you want to track the PC’s relationship with over time. This may be an organization (such as a thieves’ guild or a church or an adventuring company), a location (such as a village or a city or a kingdom), or even just a single NPC (the love interest, or the local lord). The thing that this system will do is track the relationship between the party and that entity from “perfect strangers” to “intimate allies.”

Give the party a new stat: Trust. Trust is a statistic shared by the entire party, not contingent on any one member of it, and something that each member has. Trust comes in ranks: from no ranks, up to however many ranks the DM desires (typically from 3-5). Trust is what the PC’s develop over time with this entity.

Trust develops through the completion of adventures. Any entity the PC’s want to develop trust with needs something done: a delivery must be made, or a basement cleared of dire rats, or a particular monster menacing the path must be slain, or whatever. Said thing involves some danger out in the wilderness, so they’d much rather have trained adventurers do it.

These adventures can be of any length, though generally speaking it’s better to start with small adventures, and ramp them up. The entity in question isn’t going to trust some unknown vagabonds with something precious or complex, but they might trust them with a simple errand or a basic task.

Thus, the entity serves as a dispenser of adventures, quests, and tasks for the party. They need something done, and the PC’s are there to do it. As the party accomplishes these deeds successfully, they gain Trust – the entity begins to have more confidence in their proven ability to do the deeds, and so gives them greater and greater deeds: longer, harder adventures, with bigger threats and bigger stakes. Trust can be gained after a single quest, or after many.

The rank of Trust that the party has with the entity will dictate several things.
Each quest the entity might give has a corresponding Trust prerequisite that must be met. The great baron might give out a general bounty on orc ears, and when the party returns many of them, they may gain a rank of Trust (bringing them to Rank 1) – the baron believes these adventurers may be capable of slaying the orc chieftains in the region! If successful at this, they may gain another ran of Trust (Rank 2), and the baron, aware of their great skill, tells them to lead the siege on the orc fortress in the mountain pass. Clearing the mountain pass may have been the goal all along, but he’s not just going to trust some random wayfarers with that task – he’s going to put a few tests out and see who comes up.

Similarly, things like treasure can be tied to ranks of Trust. Perhaps the baron entrusts them with a sacred blade to slay the orcs in the fortress at Trust 2, but at Trust 0, he’ll only give out a few coins of treasure as a reward.

Escalating trust can tie into things in the ongoing story of the game, too. Perhaps when the party clears the fortress and achieves Trust 3, the baron suddenly disappears – creating an adventure to go rescue him from his orcish captors. Or maybe at Trust 3, the orcish counter-attack started.

It’s a good idea to have multiple entities with which the party can gain Trust milling about all at once. This can lead to interesting decision points as to which adventures to take: if the baron is offering a bounty for orc ears, but the local wizard’s college is more interested in the sudden appearance of fiends in the forest, there’s a pretty explicit choice to be made. Indeed, if the party never follows up on the orc ears, perhaps the Baron never gets kidnapped…or perhaps at some point the orcs attack the city, because the threat was ignored.

WHY THIS IS PRETTY COOL

Hub-And-Spokes

This system works best when there is a main central group of NPC’s that the party will be interacting with. This group may be the residents of a particular town or kingdom, or the members of some organization, or are in some way a group that the PC’s continue to interact with for some time (anywhere from a single level, to the length of the campaign). This is the group that they’ll be gaining fame within, the people who will go from largely not knowing them as any different from any strange vagabonds to trusting them with their most personal, difficult, and intimate problems.

This reflects a bit of realism in the system: if people just waltz into town, slay a few orcs, and waltz out, you’re not going to cement much of a reputation in that particular town. You did something positive, but there are a lot of problems in the world, and your wandering adventurers were only a momentary distraction. In order to cement fame, to gain a reputation, the party needs to put in the time and effort within a single group of NPC’s.

The group of NPC’s thus serves as the hub – the people the party keeps returning to.

The party is sent out from this hub into the surrounding area to do things for these NPC’s.

This helps the DM out in giving the PC’s a solid goal, and a detailed way of reaching that goal that can involve a lot of the other events going on in the game world. That gives the party a reason to interact with the world – to earn the trust of those entities that inhabit it. This makes world-building easy to make relevant, and helps the DM introduce new material gradually. If the DM just bought an awesome nautical adventure, and the party is far from the sea, perhaps someone who has great Trust in them tasks them with protecting a shipment, giving them a dang good reason to go to sea.

Adventure Gateway

The main mechanical consideration of trust in this system is to dribble adventures out to the PC’s. This distinguishes it from similar reputation systems, which are often more concerned about the benefits the PC’s get for being recognized local heroes. It focuses on the responsibilities that come with wielding great power in a dangerous world.
This also helps out the DM, as it keeps a steady dribble of plot lines and hooks in the hands of the players. The players always know they have something to do, and what they need to do, or at least who they need to talk to.

As a bang-on effect, this helps couch the rewards the party gets in terms of the size of their quest, too. No more orcs with +5 vorpal swords squirreled away: now, that +5 vorpal sword sits behind a Trust 5 gateway that is going to require some digging before it drops into your hands.

Goal Tracking

PC’s can have some grandiose goals. To become rich. To master powerful magic. To restore the gods to life. These are great end-points, but it doesn’t always give a DM good guidance for doing the little things.

Trust can function as a goal-tracking mechanic as well. Perhaps becoming rich requires an effective Trust of 10, which can then be broken down: okay, earning a bit of coin at Trust 0, maybe a house opens up trust 6, and by Trust 10, your character gets a sweet inheritance. Quests can tie directly into these goals: in order to get a house, the party must clear it of the undead occupying it, so you know that the quest for clearing out the undead opens up at Trust 5. Depending on your preferred level of detail, you can even break down individual quests at each XP level, or even break them down to specific encounters.

TRUST THE TRUST

So, what do you think? How would you use Trust in your games? Or do you already kind of do that, but under a different name? What other potential uses for the system do you see?

Let me know in the comments!

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
So... you've invented the World of Warcraft reputation system.

grats :p

I didn't want to come right out and say it, but WoW's rep system, and another game's reputation system (Xenoblade Chronicles) gave me the initial impetus for it. Any resemblance is purely inspirational. ;)

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
This does sound good. ANything to tie PCs into the world is a great idea. In fact puting positive numbers in front of players often works as motivation too.

I am running Rise of the Runelords at the moment, and that is exactly the sort of 'feel' I think the authors were aiming for reagrding the PC's relationship with Sandpoint.

I totally agree on keeping this as a group mechanic too. Otherwise it could get quite messy. Do you also track individual members of the NPCs too. The people that make up a town are quite varied in outlook too. Someone in town might still have a grudge vs the PCs (or individual PCs), but I don't see the point in tracking every interaction.

I will certainly be adopting this and tracking Trust with each group the PCs interact with.

Furthermore, I can actually see where you could use this in a more tangible manner, where the players directly see the benefits of developing trust. You could simply add the Trust Rank to positive relation rolls with members or the said organisation/community; Diplomacy/Persuasion or whatever your system uses. :)

These are certainly the articles I like to read. :)

Random Axe

Explorer
Quick process:
[*] Come up with an adventure idea. There's hooks and random generators aplenty for this, so just roll one up that seems pretty basic. "Go kill X" or "Collect for me 5 bear bottoms" or "Make a delivery for me" kind of quests make good first-rung Trust 0 quests. Tie it to some reward that corresponds to an average treasure roll, or some median number of GP.
[*] Introduce the NPC with the adventure idea to the party via their normal haunts....

Sorry, but I think you missed the point of my question. Can this trust system be incorporated (that is to say, become incorporated) into an already running campaign, where the PCs are already mid-level and have a number of other goals and objectives in their PC lives already in mind. Or is this system primarily meant to be used in a newly-started campaign, where hunting bear-butts might be a legitimate first mission.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Sorry, but I think you missed the point of my question. Can this trust system be incorporated (that is to say, become incorporated) into an already running campaign, where the PCs are already mid-level and have a number of other goals and objectives in their PC lives already in mind. Or is this system primarily meant to be used in a newly-started campaign, where hunting bear-butts might be a legitimate first mission.

So, if they already have goals and objectives in mind that they've done some work on, figure out what stage they are in accomplishing that (have then not even started? have they done some things but not others?). Peg them at a Trust rank from 1-5 that approximates how many more major steps you'd like them to perform before they reach their goal. If they're almost there, put them at Rank 4; if they haven't started, put them at Rank 0, if they've done or or two things, put them at Rank 1. It'll be a judgement call, but use however many steps you want to put between them and this ultimate goal as your baseline for what rank to put them at with regards to the goals that they already have.

The things they've already done to get toward this goal feed into the next things they'll need to do. If they've already started it, go back to what they did to start it, and introduce some complexity that they need to resolve at this point. If they're nearly done, take whatever they just did, and introduce one final step to cement their progress.

And if if they're not in deep already, don't be afraid to introduce some NPC that can give them their ultimate goal who needs them to start building trust again. Bears may not be a major challenge, but keep in mind that this is just working to gain trust: do something simple, and you've shown that you're willing to do it. The harder challenges lay farther up the trust scale. Let them go kill some bears off-screen with a skill challenge or something to get to the bigger challenges. The tasks don't all need to be major challenges: sometimes, we do simple things for people to prove that we can take on bigger tasks.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
If you're a fan of mods, this trust level could also be a flat +(trust) mod to social skils for the party (leader?) when dealing with specific NPC's or affiliates.

Obormot

Explorer
A good idea taken from WoW is still a good idea.

Oh, sure. No argument. (Although I do prefer that ideas be attributed.)

Ok, ok. Actual commentary/critique time:

I worry that a reputation system like this would give rise to exactly the same verisimilitude problems that it spawns in WoW. To take just one example... say you have multiple factions that are allied. A town and another town in the same country. A nation and an ally. The priesthood of Heironeous and the priesthood of St. Cuthbert.

You build your reputation with the first faction, then go and talk to the second faction. What's your reputation with those second guys? Does it start at the base level? But why? Wouldn't the first faction go "Hey, allies, see these dudes here? They are awesome dudes. Like, wow, so awesome. Treat them like the badass heroes they are immediately."? (In WoW this was the "why doesn't Anachronos walk over to Andormu and tell him how awesome I am?? He's, like, right there!" issue.)

And gods forbid you ever get yourself into a situation where the players know what the "rewards" (be they quests or rewards) for higher Trust levels are, and want those rewards. Hello rep grinding! (And That's Terrible™.)

In general, if you tie quest dispensation to such a reputation system, you make quests and story progression much less organic, and the "questgivers" themselves start to seem much less lifelike, and more like... WoW NPCs. In the bad way.

That said, I think this system CAN work, under two conditions:

1. It's a sandbox game. I think the described Trust system can work to make a sandbox campaign feel somewhat more dynamic, like the world changes with PC action.
2. The mechanics, and even the fact that the DM is using such a system, is kept from the players! You do NOT want your players thinking in terms of Trust mechanics!

Given these two things, it's got the potential to improve the feel of a sandbox game, while saving the DM a good bit of work.

The Mormegil

First Post
It's... kinda plain. I understand the importance of rationalizing stuff you (as a DM) do instinctively to make sure you gain all the possible benefits from them, but this IS relatively minor as a system. It is basically DM fiat. Unless you start building the campaign world well in advance or write modules, at which point the Trust "gates" make more sense, but in my experience that kind of preparation always goes to waste since PCs mess everything up. What happens to the Trust-based plotline if the PCs explode the castle with the baron inside it? What if they manage to convince a red dragon to take down the orc fortress, without any way to prove they did? No Trust advancement, big mistake, sucks to be them?
If you put too much forethought and use it too deterministically, it's probably going to backfire. If you don't, it basically amounts to "go with what you feel is correct", only with a bit of rationalization. I don't think it's a bad system, it just... isn't much of a system. It has basically no rules impact and doesn't offer guidelines on how to handle things (unless you count the guidelines you self-impose as instructed by the Trust system).
Meh. Just my 2 coppers.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I'm pretty meh on it as it stands now. It has a very... "NPCs are here to game, not as real people" feel, I guess. To me, at least. I'm not against the idea (I have a mechanical enemy to ally mechanic in my RPG), but this isn't resonating with me as it stands. I'd be open to talking about it / building on it / tweaking it, but I'm not sure this is that kind of thread. As always, play what you like :)

epicbob

Explorer
[...]I worry that a reputation system like this would give rise to exactly the same verisimilitude problems that it spawns in WoW. To take just one example... say you have multiple factions that are allied. A town and another town in the same country. A nation and an ally. The priesthood of Heironeous and the priesthood of St. Cuthbert.
aaa
You build your reputation with the first faction, then go and talk to the second faction. What's your reputation with those second guys? Does it start at the base level? But why? Wouldn't the first faction go "Hey, allies, see these dudes here? They are awesome dudes. Like, wow, so awesome. Treat them like the badass heroes they are immediately."? (In WoW this was the "why doesn't Anachronos walk over to Andormu and tell him how awesome I am?? He's, like, right there!" issue.)
There is a mechanically simple way of implementing this. When you visit the faction's ally, you start at Trust Level * 50% with them. This is basically equivalent to the ally trusting you but still needing proof of your skills before they let you in on their more important matters.

Remove ads

Remove ads