Steam and Steel - A Guide to Fantasy Steamworks - extra teaser posted 4/27/04

Henry

Autoexreginated
I received Steam and Steel on Friday, and didn't stop reading it except to sleep and game. :) Great book, and something that adds a new dimension to my future D&D games. I have a review done, but due to internet troubles at home, I was unable to post it last night. I will get it posted if nothing else at work tomorrow.

Great job, Carnifex. It made me interested in putting in some kind of arcane steamorks into my next game! Not only that, but I now have enough material to extrapolate an Arcanum Setting.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Henry said:
I received Steam and Steel on Friday, and didn't stop reading it except to sleep and game. :) Great book, and something that adds a new dimension to my future D&D games. I have a review done, but due to internet troubles at home, I was unable to post it last night. I will get it posted if nothing else at work tomorrow.

Great job, Carnifex. It made me interested in putting in some kind of arcane steamorks into my next game! Not only that, but I now have enough material to extrapolate an Arcanum Setting.

Heh! The section on Magic/Technology Animosity had me thinking in the same direction. It would be very easy to do.

However I like the idea that wizards and steam tech go together like peanut butter and jelly. Wizards are the arcane equivelant of scientists, using logic and mathematics to create their spells. I may dust off my Victorian England D&D game for this.

The Auld Grump, fan of later than medieval settings.

Carnifex

First Post
Thanks for the review, Henry :)

Re Arcanum: I've heard of, but never played, the game. I was aware that the way I was writing St&St, magic and tech were mostly portrayed as being things that meshed closely, and wanted to provide the option of magic-tech animosity, hence that little box of optional rules & feats :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Carnifex said:
Thanks for the review, Henry :)

Re Arcanum: I've heard of, but never played, the game. I was aware that the way I was writing St&St, magic and tech were mostly portrayed as being things that meshed closely, and wanted to provide the option of magic-tech animosity, hence that little box of optional rules & feats :)

If you even find it in a bargain bin one day, GET IT - it's an excellent game, and it possesses a fantastic background book with it that's detailed enough to be a campaign bible. Magic and technology directly opposed one another, and if you are more versed with one, you are more immune to the other! You'll feel right at home playing with Technologists, and it may even inspire a Steam and Steel Web Enhancement all by itself! ;)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Aye, Arcanum is a lovely game. Funny to hear that Carnifex wasn't inspired by it at all in the Magic/Tech battle bit, as that was a major point in the game (I remember getting kicked off trains because I was a high-level mage ;)).

Steam and Steel, though, is a great PDF. I dig it. I admit, in the past few months this old Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk devotee is getting quite a hankering for a steampunk campaign and I might even remake my homebrew yet again. I'll dig a print version even more, hint hint. ;)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
My only problem with Arcanum was how nifty the technology was. Every time I would decide 'Okay, this time I am creating a wizardly main character' (Or even 'This time I will create a character balanced between tech and magic'...) I would run across the blueprints for some pretty new weapon/armor/what have you that I couldn't build yet, and jump back on the tech path. And some of the low level tech is pretty darned sweet. (Molotov cocktails anyone?) And finding yourself raiding trash cans for... well... trash instead of treasure, was cool. (Yay! I found some greasy rags! Just what I needed! Oooh, metal shavings too...) As was seeing stories about your expliots in the paper.

Yes, if you see it snap it up. It has good replay value and a decent plot, I only wish they had done sequels...

The Auld Grump

Conaill

First Post
Hey Carnifex,

Any chance of fixing the typos and errors John Cooper mentioned in his review on D20 Reviews?

I haven't yet picked up a copy of S&S because I've been swamped with work, but I'd prefer to get a corrected version when I do get time to do so...

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Carnifex said:
Well, HH assured us that there'd be P.O.D copies available next month :p

Hey "Carnifex", finally bought your book. Haven't read through, but upon skimming, I saw that it is chock full of crunchy goodnes...loads of text! Would those who bought the .pdf get a discount on the P.O.D. ?

I can see some of the stuff you've sent at us in Acrozatarim. Still would like a world book, but I guess I'll have to settle for Eberron and use your stuff in that game.

cheers,

B.H.

Last edited:

Remove ads