D&D 2E Steam Re-Releases the D&D "Gold Box Classics" Computer Games

Which of the "Gold Box Classics" games have you played?

• Forgotten Realms: Eye of the Beholder

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Forgotten Realms: Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Forgotten Realms: Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Drannor

• Forgotten Realms: Pool of Radiance

Votes: 20 80.0%
  • Forgotten Realms: Curse of the Azure Bonds

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Forgotten Realms: Secret of the Silver Blades

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Forgotten Realms: Pools of Darkness

• Forgotten Realms: Gateway to the Savage Frontier

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Forgotten Realms: Treasures of the Savage Frontier

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Forgotten Realms: Hillsfar

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Forgotten Realms: Menzoberranzan

• Forgotten Realms: Dungeon Hack

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Ravenloft: Stone Prophet

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Dragonlance: Champions of Krynn

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Dragonlance: Death Knights of Krynn

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Dragonlance: The Dark Queen of Krynn

Votes: 10 40.0%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Earlier this month, Steam dropped a pretty sweet deal on the old-school "Gold Box Classics" D&D computer games. Remember those? For $32 you can pick up a bundle of everything...20 games in total, from the most popular AD&D campaign settings: Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, and Dragonlance.

Of course I bought them; it works out to less than $2 per game...and I don't have to keep swapping a stack of CDs to play them! These are not "enhanced versions" by any stretch: the graphics are outdated, the game mechanics are outdated, you get the idea. But that's to be expected: these games were published when the computer game industry was just getting started, and when CD-ROM was the latest breakthrough in technology. I expect everything to be very 90s-tastic.

I'm curious how many of us remember these old games, so I put together a poll with every game that you can get in this bundle. Vote for the ones you played, however briefly, back in the day.

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
I never played these as a kid . . . my dad bought the family an Apple II computer rather than a DOS PC, and I don't think these were available for Apple computers. At some point later, I bought this exact collection on CD-ROM . . . but couldn't get any of the games to work on my PC at the time.

As soon as this dropped on Steam, I purchased the entire collection!!! I'm currently playing through Eye of the Beholder for the first time ever!!! So excited!

Please note . . . THERE'S MORE!!!

D&D Stronghold Kingdom Simulator

D&D Al-Qadim The Genie's Curse

There is also the much later released D&D Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance game, which was originally a console game. I couldn't find its sequel (with a "II" after the title) however.

There may be more . . . its hard to search for D&D games on Steam because Fantasy Grounds has a TON of D&D content available on Steam.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I never played these as a kid . . . my dad bought the family an Apple II computer rather than a DOS PC, and I don't think these were available for Apple computers.
Some of them were. I played Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds on my Apple IIc. I later played Secret of the Silver Blades, Pool of Darkness, and Dark Queen of Krynn on my Mac running, I believe, System 7.
But it was weirdly spotty which titles made it to the Apple side of the personal computer divide.

MGibster

Legend
You can't go home again. I have fond memories of those games, but sometimes it's hard to go back and play those older games even when I remember them so fondly. You'd have to pay me to play through Baldur's Gate or Fallout 1 & 2 even though those are great games. I don't think I could go back and play those Gold Box classics for more than a few minutes before giving up and playing something else.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
You can't go home again. I have fond memories of those games, but sometimes it's hard to go back and play those older games even when I remember them so fondly. You'd have to pay me to play through Baldur's Gate or Fallout 1 & 2 even though those are great games. I don't think I could go back and play those Gold Box classics for more than a few minutes before giving up and playing something else.
I dunno. There's something kind of satisfying about digging out the pad of graph paper and mapping out Phlan as you explore it. And then there's the very first time you get a wizard to 5th level and unlimber that fireball. THAT's still fun in the old gold box games.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Earlier this month, Steam dropped a pretty sweet deal on the old-school "Gold Box Classics" D&D computer games. Remember those? For $32 you can pick up a bundle of everything...20 games in total, from the most popular AD&D campaign settings: Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, and Dragonlance.

Of course I bought them; it works out to less than $2 per game...and I don't have to keep swapping a stack of CDs to play them! These are not "enhanced versions" by any stretch: the graphics are outdated, the game mechanics are outdated, you get the idea. But that's to be expected: these games were published when the computer game industry was just getting started, and when CD-ROM was the latest breakthrough in technology. I expect everything to be very 90s-tastic.

I'm curious how many of us remember these old games, so I put together a poll with every game that you can get in this bundle. Vote for the ones you played, however briefly, back in the day.
Hah! Thanks! I just bought the steam package so I can re-play some and play others for the first time. Should I vote all of them since I'll be trying them all out? :p

JEB

Legend
The only one of these I "played" back in the day was Unlimited Adventures, which turned out to be more than I bargained for as a young teen, so I never properly did anything with it. I've since made more recent attempts to play Eye of the Beholder and Strahd's Possession, but didn't get very far in. (To be fair, though, that's not a problem with these games - it's just rare for me to invest time in long games anymore. Maybe when I retire in about 30 years...)

Now, Planescape Torment, in the late 1990s? That once ranked as my #1 RPG video game ever. (Still would be if not for Avellone.)

Remove ads