Steel Dragons' Art

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Orean Races: Height Studies

A few pages I did a couple of months ago for comparative heights on the Orean peoples for reference.

First page: human from the kingdom of Grinlia, human from the kingdom of Mostrial, human of the Gorunduun clan, a satyr, a halfling.

Next section: human from the United Island Kingdoms, Miralostae elf, centaur (probably from the Kiari Hills), Kantiiri elf.

Third section: a dwarf from the Daegun Mountains, a sprite, a human from the desert empire of Thelitia, a pixie, a human from the all-but-extinct empire of Seluria...and Aline the Whitebow, half-elf ranger/priestess.

Next page: the heroes: Montor Dragonwing, Silran, Carak Hillside (on Kriton's back), Lela Eth Mitar, Kriton, Malac, Erilyn.

Next section: Erilyn, Rhea, Londar, Gnim, Silver...bugbear, minotaur.

Attachments

• height_grinliahalfling.jpg
    height_grinliahalfling.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 85
  • height_elfcentaur.jpg
    height_elfcentaur.jpg
    677.9 KB · Views: 96
  • height_thelialine.jpg
    height_thelialine.jpg
    648.4 KB · Views: 87
  • height_party1.jpg
    height_party1.jpg
    833.3 KB · Views: 93
  • height_party2.jpg
    height_party2.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 93

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Excellent work. Your vision of the desert elves is very cool. The Persian influence is fine; although, I originally intended for my desert elves to be based on how Dark Sun's elves are. Of course, that has changed somewhat over the years.

The Lands of Harqual are as close to a American-style continent as I have for Kulan, yet the continent is more of a settled Americana with royal kingdoms, scattered city-states, and wild expanses. Therefore, my desert elves could be said to be "American aboriginal" with a twist of high/dark fantasy.

Just some food for thought,

Cheers!

KF

Ok, cool. Thanks for the direction. I didn't think the arabian/persian thing was the way they should be...esp. given the part of their description that they were all about "survival"...but then thought about the "might be descended from grey elves" and thought they might be somewhat sophisticated. So I threw it out there. Anyway, I'll keep punching away at it and try to incorporate a more "Native American" feel.

The dragon-tauran is ok then? I should continue in that vein? (I know, I know, I didn't include the "great club" but figured...you always want to have something that's not exactly what's in the pic to throw the players. ;) Also, to flesh them out...their defenders of "the Balance" right? Is there an acknowledged symbol of "the Balance"? I'd be sure to include that in their limited equipment/attire...or maybe a tattoo...just wondering.

--SD

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Ok, cool. Thanks for the direction. I didn't think the arabian/persian thing was the way they should be...esp. given the part of their description that they were all about "survival"...but then thought about the "might be descended from grey elves" and thought they might be somewhat sophisticated. So I threw it out there. Anyway, I'll keep punching away at it and try to incorporate a more "Native American" feel.
No worries. You're free to interpret them however you like. That's the point. Challenge yourself too.

The dragon-tauran is ok then? I should continue in that vein? (I know, I know, I didn't include the "great club" but figured...you always want to have something that's not exactly what's in the pic to throw the players. ;) Also, to flesh them out...their defenders of "the Balance" right? Is there an acknowledged symbol of "the Balance"? I'd be sure to include that in their limited equipment/attire...or maybe a tattoo...just wondering.

--SD
Since the dracovaran is meant to be tauran, I think you've definitely captured the look.

The Balance refers to a force more than a true religion. (I don't have a official heraldry symbol for it.) It is defined as an equality between the natural world and the urban spawls of humanoids. It is steeped in druidic tradition. The five neutral alignments are key to the Balance. Chaos balanced against law. Good balanced against evil.

Symmetry in everything.

Dragons are the most powerful champions of the Balance on Kulan; therefore, the dragonblooded often follow the tradition (but are not required to follow it).

Dracovarans live for it. It is a part of their creation. They are the Children of Io. They are the devoted servants of The World Goddess, Mirella.

I hope that helps.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Demi-humans Ho!

Some more images of Orean people and heights n stuff...

lousily photographed with a digital camera and attempted "fixing" in photoshop...so, apologies for the image grade but you should get the idea.

Attachments

• elves.jpg
    elves.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 95
  • halflings.jpg
    halflings.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 83
  • dwarves.jpg
    dwarves.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 84

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
The start of it all...

This is a sketch of the very first time I ever played Dungeons & Dragons with some family friends who introduced me to it.

I think we were working off of an original Basic D&D box...which didn't allow for humanoid characters, but still...

A halfling, a lizardman (who was basically the "fighter") and I played a magic-user named Montor...and the rest is history.

Attachments

• firstparty.jpg
    firstparty.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 111

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
giant height studies: 1

Continuing with heights references for races of Orea...taking on the big guys.

I'll get ogres in the next one....but they're gonna be the same size as trolls.

This page of giants is Hill, Frost and a Stone giant. Also pictured a Troll, the Orean equivalent of a gnoll (called the Grorn. They're actually gigantic relatives of kobolds...who, on Orea, are more like their original dog/reptile version. NOT related to dragons. haha.) Also on this page, a boggle (since this was a continuation of a previous page which was a height study for the goblin races.)

Attachments

• giants1.jpg
    giants1.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 89

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
This page of giants is Hill, Frost and a Stone giant. Also pictured a Troll, the Orean equivalent of a gnoll (called the Grorn. They're actually gigantic relatives of kobolds...who, on Orea, are more like their original dog/reptile version. NOT related to dragons. haha.) Also on this page, a boggle (since this was a continuation of a previous page which was a height study for the goblin races.)
Remember the Bestiary of Dragons and Giants? The size chart at the beginning was kind of similar. I always hoped for one that would have contained all of the races and monsters in the rules. Like the spreads they used to have on Marvel comics for the heroes and villains.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Sorryfor delays.

Apologies for not posting anything recently.

Back in the states til after Labor Day and kinda been crazed with scheduling/running around to meet/catch up with family and friends. Looking pretty chaotic til the 30th or so. But hoping to get some things up while I'm back.

Thanks for the compliments, encouragement and interest by all. Glad you're enjoying my limited work. Looking forward to getting more complete and interesting images up (esp. for Knightfall and Iron Sky & co.).

Hope everyone's enjoying the end of their summers.
--SD

Remove ads