Steel Dragons' World of Orea RPG playtest: "Shadows Loss" (still accepting PCs)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Crancy: 1d20=2, 1d20=17, 1d20=14
Frankil: 1d20=9, 1d20=16, 1d20=5

Well none of the hands are that close. You win the first by a mile. The second is a lost cause. The third, you give it your best shot (and all of your skills) but decide not to spend John's shopping money. Unfortunately, Crancy edges you out and chuckling through his moustache and cigar happily claims his winnings.

Frankil throws his hand down in frustration and thanks you both for the diverting morning, but claims he really must be getting about his business. "Nearing mid-afternoon. I really should be getting on. My thanks to you both. I will have to work on my game before toiling with you gentlemen again."

Crancy waves the poor boy off. "Pleased to make your acquaintance, young master Frank. Feel free to come by any time, I'll be happy to part yeh with yer money. heh heh." The rotund merchant melodically clinking coins between his fingers, setting the coins into neat stacks. "Johnnie boy? Care to loose some more of your silver? Ruch! 'Nuther round for us. Make it that luscious Larassal red if you have any about. Had my fill of the ale. Besides, it's a perfectly respectable hour for wine." Crancy tosses a full 15 silver in the half-orc's direction. "Keep the change my dear half-wit."

Ruch's eyes bulge slightly at the coins splayed before him (and generous tip, which you estimate must be around 3-5sp). He trundles off behind a separate standing screen emblazoned with a scene of some great mythical looking bird of white and silver soaring above pointed mountains. You hear his heavy boot-steps descending some unseen stairs.

From the clanging of pots and pans and tell tale "chop" of her cleaver into the cutting surface, you know Fammi has returned for her midday cooking. You know she'll be out front for the remainder of the day until "closing" [for the restaurant] at 9 bells.

It is now nearing 1:30 in the afternoon. You left your hideout around 10am. Somewhere in the back of your mind you have the inkling that Big John has sent Russ or the dwarf to track you down at this point.

OOC: If I'm reading your last post correctly, you have effectively lost everything you've gained in the last two rounds except for Big John's shopping money...minus the entrance fee. Are we moving on?

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
OOC: No answer to this bit, SD?

"Oh, right: gnomes! Naw, can't say as I do. What's he look like?"

<Response young fop?>

John wins the next hand by a mile! The second is a lost cause though, losing him a good third of his winnings up to date (to Crancy, of course). The third... Now the third is something else.

The Dead One has got nothing! At first anyways. Sprinkle on a bit of his smooth and polished savoir faire though and he holds in his eager little hands... the most average set of cards you've ever seen in your life! Every possible colour of the rainbow - and then some -, *but* a couple of the Brothers Three, *with* their hound. AND, most importantly, he's almost certain that either One: the old goat in front is bluffing through both sides of his handlebar moustache (he's spotted what he's pretty sure is his tell) and/or Two: he hasn't got the funds to follow through if John can just convince him not to fold too soon!

"Bysdan seems to be on my side today!" he announces with a grin, pushing five silvers up front (a strong raise, but not too strong). "I should gamble during the day more often."

Crancy is following through though, trying to outbluff him. Ain't going to work! John raises right back (and keeps making his side-settlers) and the pot keeps getting higher and higher in the center of the table, until there's near nothing left on his side. Just a few coins; just about what he started with; Big John's lunch money...

Where's the old man pulling it all from? John rubs his unshaven chin, as if considering next year's plantings. Crancy is trying to look relaxed too... One more raise, one more raise will do it, one more raise will crack him (Vicious hasn't been a factor for a *long* time now)... He's doing it!

"All in," he announces, pushing the purse to the center. "Let's see what you got, Crancy."

"Bet-It-All Johnny rides again, eh?" chuckles Crancy - never a good sign at this stage - before laying down his cards with a flourish... John's half out of his seat to see better...

"Kingdoms United?!"

"Kingdoms United," confirms the 'merchant', chuckling through his moustache and cigar as he happily claims his winnings.

The gray-haired rogue sinks back to his seat, rocking it back with the impact... And then he starts chuckling... And then outright laughing... "Whew! That was... nice. Nice one, Crancy!" And he rises to clasp the man's wrist other hand on his shoulder.

There's that tense little hesitating moment when both party are wondering if they're going to get stabbed... and then that strengthening of the clasp when they don't. <I'm going to assume>

"You just made my day." Much better than Big John's let's-not-fights, right?

It is now nearing 1:30 in the afternoon. You left your hideout around 10am. Somewhere in the back of your mind you have the inkling that Big John has sent Russ or the dwarf to track you down at this point.
but who's going to say no to a bottle of Lara?

"You just cleaned me out for now, Crancy... But I certainly wouldn't mind a bit of the red if you'd like the company?"

<Response Crancy?>

If Crancy agrees, John will eventually insert, with a shake of the head toward the curtain (and their recently departed friend): "He's not really Brotherhood, is he?" It's not even a question, really, more like disbelief that the man even tried it.

[sblock=OOC]
OOC: If I'm reading your last post correctly, you have effectively lost everything you've gained in the last two rounds except for Big John's shopping money...minus the entrance fee.
Well technically the closest fought hands were the 1st and 3rd ex-aequo (with a diff of 11 in both cases), and "closest fough" is a bit of a stretch in either cases, you got to admit, but what the heck.

Re accounting, I described it as above since I felt it read better, but let's just say he has more cash hidden on his person somewhere and call it an overall draw (lost all his winnings but goes out with everything he had going in). Does that work for you? I don't mind chucking Big John's 30 sp on the fires of a good yarn though, if you prefer.[/sblock]

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
OOC: No answer to this bit, SD?

<Response young fop?>

OOC [cuz i couldn't fine the OOC thread, it's been so long. My apologies for that.]: Errrr. Gonna defer to [MENTION=53286]Lwaxy[/MENTION] for that one?

Speaking of, Lwaxy and [MENTION=48762]Leif[/MENTION] , you guys still around/interested? If not that's fine! I understand how difficult it is to maintain attention to an online game (way more difficult than I had thought, btw!)

I had kinda been going slow, hoping/figuring we'd be ready to "group up" at some point. But if that's not the case, no worries.

I have no problem with calling the card playing a wash and saying John has what he was originally given....plus, say 5sp. Very nice narration of the way the card games went. :)
but who's going to say no to a bottle of Lara?

"You just cleaned me out for now, Crancy... But I certainly wouldn't mind a bit of the red if you'd like the company?"

<Response Crancy?>

If Crancy agrees, John will eventually insert, with a shake of the head toward the curtain (and their recently departed friend): "He's not really Brotherhood, is he?" It's not even a question, really, more like disbelief that the man even tried it.

Crancy chortles, as he does, scooping up the pile of coins and stacking them neatly. "Not at all, my boy! I wouldnt have ordered it if not to share."

After a long slow sip of the lucious deep ruby wine, ended with a satisfying smack of the lips, Crancy responds to John's second inquiry.
"Indeed, young master Frankil is certainly not one I would peg for the Brotherhood...but I learned long ago, young Johnnie, as you too would do well, to never second guess or underestimate where the Fathen Brothers are concerned...He could be a fop...or it could be a ruse...though to what purpose I could hardly say. Looking for a gnome...in the Shanties?! PAH.

"One thing is for sure, though...he'd have to be the greatest actor in all of Threeways to play cards that badly! Eh?"
Crancy bursts into guffaws and holds up the not-so fine goblet of wine from the renowned Larassal region. "Cheers. To Bysdan...n' yer continuing good fortune." He chuckles and takes another satisfying swig [OOC: A tongue in cheek saying, by which he means, your "good" fortune as far as he is concerned. That is your bad luck being good for him.] .

Fammi's gravel voice comes grating from the front counter, "Johnnie, yer dog's here!"

A menacing growl is the only clue the rogue needs to know that Russ' has been sent to find and collect him.

"Aw shut'cher yap. N' you tell Big John to cut the boy some slack."
Fammi's barks at the growling grorn. You hear the "chock" of her cleaver and the snapping of Russ' jaws and subsequent loud open-mouthed chewing that you are familiar with hearing. Obviously, she threw him a scrap of something.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Oh my... totally forgot in all the chaos of RL! I'm off to day 3 of the Spiel `13 now, I'll get to this asap. *blushes*

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
"Cheers. To Bysdan...n' yer continuing good fortune." He chuckles and takes another satisfying swig
John chuckles back, not adverse to a little humour even when it's directed at him. Although he changes it to "To endless thrills!" as they clink glasses and then drains his before pouring himself another -- after topping off Crancy, of course. "Niiiice!"

And, surprisingly enough, he's not lying: no matter what he's been pretending, the few 'high end' things he's sampled so far haven't been anywhere near his taste (City folks are... weird).

More importantly, he's more and more convinced the old coot IS guild himself -- or works for them at the very least. Now here's a man worth buttering up! All he has to figure out is-

Fammi's gravel voice comes grating from the front counter, "Johnnie, yer dog's here!"

A menacing growl is the only clue the rogue needs to know that Russ' has been sent to find and collect him.

"Aw shut'cher yap. N' you tell Big John to cut the boy some slack."
Fammi's barks at the growling grorn.
Well well, didn't know she cared...

The dead one casually pushes back from the table. "Well I got to be going now -- important things to do and all that," he offers with a grin. "Thanks for the game, Crancy. And the booze." Speaking of, he quaffs down what's left of his current glass (be a shame to waste any of it, right?). "Fine stuff... Mind if I take a glass for the road?"

If Crancy agrees, John will refill his glass and take it with him when he exits the back room.

"Hey there Rust. The big guy getting hungry, is he?" As always the sight of the 7-feet-tall wolf-hyena brings a not-unpleasant thrill of fear in the pit of his stomach... Is it any wonder he likes the guy so much?

OOC: Still here, though to be honest I kind of thought this game was dead.

OOC thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...gon-s-World-of-Orea-RPG-D-amp-D-1-amp-2e-base

Last edited:

Remove ads