• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stephen Jay Gould

KidCthulhu

First Post
For those of you who may have read this man's phenominal books, I convey the sad news that Steve is dying. I've known him for many years, as we sing together in the Boston Cecilia. He is a marvelous man, full of humor and intellegence.

He was diagnosed with cancer a month or two ago, and it's progress has been swift and merciless. He is with his family now, and they are waiting for the end.

I thought he might have some fans here on the boards, and that you should know.

enrious

I am saddned to hear that.

He has improved my critical thinking skills and generated a great deal of my optimism.

Please pass along my thanks if you can.

Information

First Post
Mistwell said:
What did he write that you would recommend?

Try his "Full House: The Spread of Excellence from Plato to Darwin". He argues extensively against the "progress" paradigm of modern thought.

I used it in my undergraduate thesis: Understanding the History of Life: Progress and Evolution.

Thank you for letting us know, KidCthulu. I truly regret that he and his family must suffer this fate.

Last edited:

Urbanmech

Explorer
It is a sad day for science and approachable scientific writing if Steven Jay Gould has passed away. My condolences to the family.

For those who don't recognize the name, Steven Jay Gould was a biologist who revolutionized evolutionary theory with the concept of punctuated equilibrium. He wrote many books dealing with evolution and the wonders of the biological world. "The Panda's Thumb," and "Wonderful Life" were two of his more popular books. He will be missed.

Remove ads