• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Steven Eriksons Malazan series

myrdden

First Post
Alratan said:
I have to add, that whilst Steven Erikson, is generally an excellent witer of fantasy in almost all its aspects, he is... not the best at female characterisation.

I am curious...what do you mean by this.

Please expand.

Onos T'oolan

First Post
Alratan said:
I have to add, that whilst Steven Erikson, is generally an excellent witer of fantasy in almost all its aspects, he is... not the best at female characterisation.
I too have heard this on more than one occasion, but the people who say this never really elaborate ... what is it about his depictions that seem flawed to you? Can you provide an example of a writer/book/character that would be an example of 'good' female characterization?

Personally I find Erikson's female characters are varied and believable. MBOTF women experience a broader range of emotions, experiences, professions, etc. than those in other books I've read, and they play meaningful roles.

There are a lot of geeked-out sci-fi/fantasy writers who clearly have 'unrealistic' ideas about women and male/female dynamics, and their characterizations often feel forced. Many 'famous' fantasy authors, like Robert Jordan, for example, do a much poorer job with female characters and male/female interactions IMHO.

/runs for his life from rabid Jordan-ites :D

Last edited:

Onos T'oolan

First Post
barsoomcore said:
Somebody told me they couldn't find Tattersail believable because she's fat but guys think she's hot and nobody thinks fat girls are hot. I did not have a ready reply to that statement.
You only have to look at the artwork from our own past to realize that what we would call 'big' or 'fat' women were at one time greatly admired ;)

Pants

First Post
I just finished House of Chains and I have to say... I enjoyed it immensely. While it did have some slow parts, I thought the characters of Karsa and Onrack were pretty interesting and well developed, though I could certainly see why Karsa might not be enjoyed (the all-powerful, rules-breaking barbarian could get really old, really fast...).

The ending was great and overall this book proves to me that Erikson is an absolute master at worldcrafting, dare I say better than Tolkien. ;)

neg

Explorer
Gardens of the Moon

Just wanted to let everyone know that Gardens of the Moon is now officially published in mass market. I got my copies late this week and they should be hitting bookshelves this weekend, probably.

I say probably as it is the Christmas season and receiving rooms for bookstores are often not as efficient at this time of year.

So if you are looking for last minute stocking stuffers for the fantasy reader in your life, think Steven Erikson

Gardens of the Moon ISBN 0765348780 $7.99

I will make a general post about this and see if the ENWorld Book Club takes a look at it... :lol:

Enjoy-

Neg

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
That's "Officially published in mass market for AMERICANS." The rest of us have had the mass market paperback for four years now.

But yes, it is a fine, fine book that deserves every ounce of praise heaped upon it. Hurrah for getting the Americans caught up!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads