• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stevils Random Encounter Template Generator

st3v1l

Explorer
On page 58 of the monster manual WOTC has given us a few sample encounter templates to use to build complex encounters with some various types of monsters. I've taken some of that chart as well as some of my own and some random difficulty math and made the attached generator.

In 3.5 I had created a random encounter generator and this could be the start of one for 4e. One of the most fun parts of my old generator was a random list of verbs describing what the monsters were doing. Foraging, running, hiding, sleeping, etc.

But in 4e the mixing of different monster types poses a challenge.... do I try to make the monsters that go together make sense (a somewhat daunting task), only suggest one monster of the group (and let the GM fill in the rest), or just fill in monsters of the appropriate level to fit the bill and see what comes out? The GM can always hit F9 to skip it or say things like, "you find the remains of a battle between X and X," you get the idea.

For now its just a template generator, but I for see adding monsters down the road.

If you want to influence the next version, post some ideas here.

Stevil

Attachments

• stevil's random encounter template generator v1_1.xls
    88.5 KB · Views: 185

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads