• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Sticker shock, or Why Paizo and Other Online Vendors have sent me back to Mead

enrious

So I decided to buy Paizo's wonderful Combat Pad.

Naturally, I decided to peruse Paizo's Store and purchase said item. It's $20, nothing unusual there.

However, I ran into a slight problem that I couldn't seem to overcome.

2.jpg

Um, no.

Look, I get that shipping isn't free these days (not even for Amazon and even if you have a Prime account), but no, I'm not paying an additional 50% of the price of a piece of metal and laminate and a few magnets just to replace my Mead notepad

And I know what you're thinking, because I thought the same thing ----> Google Shopping!

Um, no.

3.jpg

So yeah. A couple bucks S&H I get. But shame on you CCG Armory for having Free Shipping show on the Google results but want $7.55 for a $20 order. (I had to add the Extra Magnet Pack. I am enrious and I am an addict...) I ordered something like 5 pounds of Federation Commander stuff from them a few years ago and it was at most $7.55. Oh well.

And I know what you're thinking. I thought the same thing.

4.jpg

So it's back to Mead for me. For under $1. Le sigh.

Holy Bovine

First Post
You're lucky you don't live in Canada then. Shipping from the US is insanely expensive - but not as much as shipping within Canada itself!!

Also doesn't Amazon still offer free shipping with a minimum order? For Amazon.ca you only need a $25 order to get free shipping. Don't know what Amazon.com's minimum order amount is.

enrious

You're lucky you don't live in Canada then. Shipping from the US is insanely expensive - but not as much as shipping within Canada itself!!

Also doesn't Amazon still offer free shipping with a minimum order? For Amazon.ca you only need a $25 order to get free shipping. Don't know what Amazon.com's minimum order amount is.

Secondly, yes, Amazon will ship free under certain circumstances, but those do not include where a third party lists it as in this case.

In other ways, if it's not Amazon shipping it, then no.

Crothian

First Post
If you have a local gaming store you can always see if they carry it or will special order it for you. Or if you or someone you know is going to Gen Con you could get one there.

Croesus

Adventurer
In partial defense of internet retailers, there's a lot more involved than just the shipping costs. The company has to pull the items from their inventory, pack the items, verify the accuracy of the order packed, seal and ship. So you have labor and packing materials, which tend to be a fixed cost, regardless of the item(s) ordered.

All that said, I agree with you - on some inexpensive items, purchasing online just doesn't make much sense, assuming we have other options.

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
21 bucks including shipping for just the pad, through amazon. Since the extra mag pack is from the same seller, i would see if they would combine shipping and reimburse, or see if you can order directly through them.

As an example, one 3rd party vendor i kmow of through amazon charges $8 to ship a $16 dollar item. But if you order direct through their website, or via phone shipping is always free.

EDIT-And with the advent of flat rate boxes thru USPS, 10 bucks would be max for something like this. IME having worked for a card/game manufacturer as a sales person/ order processor for a couple years, padding shipping charges, especially for small purchases is a common occurance. In addition, companies that ship alot of item, receive shipping discounts, sometimes pretty hefty, compared to what you pay as an individual.

Last edited:

Holy Bovine

First Post
Secondly, yes, Amazon will ship free under certain circumstances, but those do not include where a third party lists it as in this case.

In other ways, if it's not Amazon shipping it, then no.

Is this place no good? They're right in Saint Charles. You might have better luck buying it in brick & mortar stores. Online shopping, while convenient, is rarely cheaper once shipping is factored in, ime. Paizo makes some great products but the money they charge for shipping is high.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I agree that you should check your local game store. If they have it in stock you can get it right that same day. If not they will almost certainly order it for you.

Arkhandus

First Post
Yeah, I was surprised to see that I was being charged something like 7 bucks S&H on a $20 thin softcover supplement (Dragon Empires Gazeteer) when I ordered it from Paizo.com. That was the first and last time I will ever order a non-digital product online, with these insane shipping & handling prices. Bad enough that the book itself had far less content than $20 D&D supplements like Sword & Fist that I bought at the local game store back in 2001 or so. Then, of course, a few weeks later I saw the same product at a local Barnes & Noble for $20 or so. -_-

How I wish there were still local game stores instead of just ones that take 1-3 hours to reach by bus and on foot......

Remove ads