• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stigma and Parental backlash

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
I would love to know what he would have been fired *for*...! Just ridiculous. :(

Service no long required. Trust me when I say this your employer is under no obligation to provide you any particular reason as long as they comply with all other legal obligations (minimum notice is the big one).

Dioltach

Legend
The next day I get a call. The kid is no longer allowed to play Dungeons and Dragons. I don't ask questions, but it is almost always apparent that a new contributor scuttled the whole thing: a divorced parent or a concerned grandparent or something like that. Someone who has influence over decisions regarding the kid but with whom I don't have a relationship. Also, they are usually kind of obnoxiously old-school types.

Or maybe it's just that the kid already has too much stuff going on with school and sports and clubs, or has started one hobby after another and given it up a few weeks later but their schoolwork suffered in the meantime, and the "new contributor" is the one who has to play "bad cop" and be strict after the original parent gave in to the kid's initial enthusiasm.

Mercule

Adventurer
Basically, you have ultraconservative religious figures

While we're on the topic of judgmentalism...

I happen to be one of those ultra conservative rreligious types (I've been a church elder for about 10 years in what would be considered a very conservative denomination). I can honestly say that I probably wouldn't be a Christian, today, if I hadn't played D&D (though, I'll agree it's not going to be a typical causal relationship).

The "religious right" is far from blameless, but there were plenty of folks like Tipper Gore being just as stupid in the 1980s. Anymore, I think it's mostly just remnants of those days, without much new animus.

FWIW, iI didn't take personal offence. Just dropping my 2 pence.

was

Adventurer
FWIW, iI didn't take personal offence. Just dropping my 2 pence.

I am glad that you did not take any offense at my statement for none was intended. I shall, however, break a cardinal rule and assume that you are not from the states. I may be mistaken, but I think my idea of being an ultraconservative may vary drastically from yours.

Unfortunately, here we are saddled with a large number of independent churches that are unaffiliated with any larger religious organizations. Many of the religious leaders in these churches have extremely suspect ordainments. Without any oversight, many of these churches have become rabid in their beliefs and employ extremely offensive tactics to promote their viewpoints

A classic example is the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas. They protest at soldiers funerals. My first exposure to them was in college. They staged an abortion protest carrying signs with pictures of aborted fetuses and wearing scrubs smeared in fake blood. At least, I hope it was fake.

Last edited:

was

Adventurer
I'm sorry. I apologize if I said anything to offend anyone's religion. It's just impossible to discuss the history of the social stigma attached to this hobby without adding a religious context.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm sorry. I apologize if I said anything to offend anyone's religion. It's just impossible to discuss the history of the social stigma attached to this hobby without adding a religious context.

It's not that anybody has been offended yet, it's that we have a strict and longstanding no religion or politics rules round here. There's always circvsmaximvs.com for those subjects, but not here on EN World, I'm afraid.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Using my sociological imagination, these conclusions are pretty intuitive. RPGs give players a structured setting for creativity, escape from day-to-day concerns, and provide positive, structured social interaction; that's a powerful balm for a lonely or unhappy mind.

Can't know if it is selection bias (the types of people who play d&d aren't likely to...) or d&d is the cause without an experiment. But either way d&d obviously isn't harmful.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I would love to know what he would have been fired *for*...! Just ridiculous. :(

Most employment in the US is "at will." You can terminate a job for any reason you like as long as you meet the terms of the employment contract and it isn't because of membership in a protected class (i.e. discrimination based on race, sex, religious affiliation, sexual orientation (in some states), etc.).

"That guy is weird," is a perfectly acceptable justification. I know it is not like this in many European countries (not sure about the UK) and is sometimes surprising for flks who aren't used to it.

Remove ads