• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stipid question about an item - Circlet of Persuasion

Greenfield

Adventurer
I was just looking at an article on Bards and saw a reference to this item.

For 4,500 gp, it gives a +3 competence bonus on all Charisma based checks.

To me, that reads the same as a +6 Charisma item, for a bargain-basement price, that actually stacks with other Charisma items.

It won't bump the target DC of Charisma based spells, but other than that...

Am I reading that right?

Jimlock

Adventurer
Yeah... I'd say it applies to all Cha based skill ckecks and ability checks...

EDIT: Ok I was wrong. changed my post...

Last edited:

xigbar

Explorer
A plus 3 bonus on Cha skill checks, UMD aside, only helps for social skills. It doesn't help a sorcerer with Spell checks, or anything like that.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I am pro- the Circlet of Persuasion. It's a must for all Bards and any Clerics et.al. interested in Turning undead.

But while we're pimping out our Bards let's not forget that you can buy a magical instrument that gives up to +10 on Performance checks. Between that, a decent Charisma stat + booster item and max ranks in Perform you can have Perform skills in the high 20's by the time the character is 10th level.

Hendrix on the mandolin, oh yeah. :devil:

That and a Will Save DC of (on average) high 30's to resist Bardic Suggestion or Fascination.

I like bards.

Empirate

First Post
Note that Cha-based checks really don't come up any more often than other skill checks, unless you're playing a Bard or optimizing Turn Undead (which is not that great of a way to go, IMHO). A straight boost to the ability score is infinitely more useful - at least if you have Cha-based casting, or some Cha-based abilities like a Paladin does.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Note that Cha-based checks really don't come up any more often than other skill checks, unless you're playing a Bard or optimizing Turn Undead (which is not that great of a way to go, IMHO). A straight boost to the ability score is infinitely more useful - at least if you have Cha-based casting, or some Cha-based abilities like a Paladin does.
Well, the first post did mention that I was looking at an article on Bards, so, yeah, I'm talking about a Bard.

And while a straight boost to Cha is more useful, it's also a lot more expensive. A stat boost item like Cloak of Charisma to give a comparable bump costs 36,000. The Circlet costs 4,500.

Oh, and it stacks with the Charisma boost item, since it's a different type of boost.

As far as the Perform check is concerned: At 8th level my Bard has +21 on his Perform checks, including a +1 instrument, and that's before I start pumping it with in-game maneuvers. It's been overkill so far.

Empirate

First Post
Right, Bard it is. Circlet of Persuasion is a nice item for you, then, but hardly overpowered. Note that an item that boosts just your Perform checks would offer a +7 competence bonus for roughly the same price - quite a bit more of a bonus there. Also, a +2 Cha cloak is only 4,000, and arguably more useful to a Bard, because it affects casting as well. Personally, I'd get the ability score bonus first, at least, although I'd also look to get a Circlet later.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads