• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stirges are a nightmare!

Dwimmerlied

First Post
The creature depends on flight and grapple rules, both of which singly are headaches within themselves. What happens if a stirge flies 15ft at a target and fails to "attach" (special grapple initiation)? Does it plummet to the ground and then take falling damage? If it manages to attach, and someone else tries to attack it, what happens if that attacker misses? Is there a chance it will hit the stirge's victim? What if the weapon of choice to deal with this tiny creature is a hammer? Does anyone else use this creature, or find it a headache??

delericho

Legend
The creature depends on flight and grapple rules, both of which singly are headaches within themselves. What happens if a stirge flies 15ft at a target and fails to "attach" (special grapple initiation)? Does it plummet to the ground and then take falling damage?

Technically, yes. It has failed to move its minimum required forward distance so can't remain airborne; it has already used its move, so can't use any remaining allowance to move on (or to land), and so it falls.

That said, this is one of those areas where I would ignore the fine detail of the rule - it seems to be such an odd corner case that I would allow the stirge to remain airborne this round.

If it manages to attach, and someone else tries to attack it, what happens if that attacker misses?

Nothing. They just miss. (I may be mis-remembering, but it appears this has changed from 3.0e, when I believe attacking into a grapple did indeed risk hitting your ally. But the 3.5e SRD doesn't seem to make any mention of this.)

Is there a chance it will hit the stirge's victim? What if the weapon of choice to deal with this tiny creature is a hammer?

No, and it's not different from using a sword, or any other weapon.

Does anyone else use this creature, or find it a headache??

I haven't used stirges since "Forge of Fury" (IIRC). Not because the rules are particularly tricky, but rather because all that Con damage was really frustrating.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I like stirges. I just use my DM powers to make a few decisions; one - yes they stay aloft even if they use all their movement. Two - yes, if you strike at a stirge that is attached to your friend and you miss it, you MAY hit your friend. I use the "if you miss by more than 4" rule, which works quite well, IMHO.

Con damage is a bit frustrating, but since stats in 3e can rise and fall with frightening regularity even without stirges, I don't think it is that big a deal. Level drain is a far worse headache...

A

amerigoV

I would avoid all the pain and treat them as a Swarm (of which they are eligible since they are Tiny). If you are in their Area, make a Fort save or lose a point of Con. They also take damage as well (the Con is just to determine if they are getting blood sucked).

Once the swarm is broken up, anyone that took a point of Con damage still has a Stirge on them . Then you can still have the hilarity of someone trying kill the thing and hitting another PC.

N'raac

First Post
Technically, yes. It has failed to move its minimum required forward distance so can't remain airborne; it has already used its move, so can't use any remaining allowance to move on (or to land), and so it falls.

WHEN does it fall? It has used its move and standard actions, so its turn is over. It can start falling in its next turn (attention hogging Stirges!) :)

delericho

Legend
WHEN does it fall?

Actually, the SRD addresses this - it falls 150 feet (or to the ground) immediately. If it hasn't hit the ground, then on its next turn it has a chance to escape the stall; if it fails to do so then it falls a further 300 feet.

Celebrim

Legend
What happens if a stirge flies 15ft at a target and fails to "attach" (special grapple initiation)? Does it plummet to the ground and then take falling damage?

Well, yes, in theory if it can't land it begins to fall. Since its probably between 2 and 6 feet from the ground at the time, this causes it no particular discomfort. It is now resting in a square near the PC.

I've never really worried about this. I always describe this sort of thing as batting the creature off with your shield or the stirge bouncing off your armor or some similar descriptive element.

If you did have a problem with this, increasing the Striges manueverability class to the point that it can easily hover would solve the problem.

If it manages to attach, and someone else tries to attack it, what happens if that attacker misses? Is there a chance it will hit the stirge's victim?

Under the rules as written, no. Nor under the rules as written does it matter what weapon you use.

Does anyone else use this creature, or find it a headache??

Stirges have been one of my favorite monsters since the 1e era. I like them because they scale well and are creepy. They show up either as Stirges or as Giant Mosquitoes (with the same stats) depending on my mood and the setting. I'm also fond of templated Stirges - for example I gave a group of them an air template one time and its attack was described as sticking itself down the mouth of its victim and sucking the victims life/breath out of its body.

That said, this is so much more realistic under my house rules if you have rules for clinching and fumbles.

Briefly, the Stirge doesn't 'grapple' it's opponent - it 'clinches'. Clinching is a related manuever to grappling but describes a different situation - hanging on rather than attempting to control the body of the foe. Clinching favors small creatures rather than larger ones, so no special absurd grappling bonus is needed. As written, the Stirge can pin creatures of much larger size and move grapples (essentially drag targets around) despite being much smaller than its foes. Multiple stirges can easily assist a grapple to render larger foes immobilized. This is bizarre unless the stirge is extremely strong! By using Clinching and Grappling rules in combination, you have much more graphic and sensible resolution of small creatures landing on the body of a larger one. For example, under Clinching, it becomes immediately pretty obvious why you would choose to attack a creature hugging your body with your dagger rather than your two-handed sword.

Secondly, I have fumble rules and attacking a creature in the same space as an ally (or yourself) increases your fumble threat range, with any additional chance of fumble resulting in accidentally attacking your ally (or yourself).

tomBitonti

Adventurer
A problem of stirges is the +7 touch attack, 1d4 Con Damage, and CR 1/2. That can be lethal to a low level party. CR 1/2 scales to 2 Stirges for a party of 4 first level characters. A lot more for 4 second level characters.

Played smart, they should go after lone characters, say, that rogue sneaking ahead. With bad luck, the rogue will be dead before the party can catch up.

The problem is the 1d4 Con, which is too strong in not too rare circumstances.

(Even worse is the 1d6 Str from Shadows.)

Thx!

TomB

Remove ads