• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [IC]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The warmth from Ashlyn's faith restores the health of the party, and soon the bruises and scrapes are washed away. However, that still leaves open the choice of their next action.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Tessa made her way forward, examining the strange plantlike creatures as well. It was one thing to read about such beings, and quite another to encounter them in the forbidding depths of a Sovereigns-forsaken cavern... Perhaps this newer spawn might even have once been a man, she realized, and said a quiet prayer for his passing. "I'm willing to continue onwards, though many of my more powerful spells have been used."

OOC: If there is time, she will examine the wounds inflicted by the plant-things and their thorn pods, attempting to determine if there is any trace of a possible infection- it would be a poor end if she or her companions ended up turning into such plant-things. Heal check at +11

stonegod

[Heal Check]

Tessa finds no lingering trace, and her limited knowledge suggests it is the thorns from the spores that cause the transformation.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Tessa said:
"I'm willing to continue onwards, though many of my more powerful spells have been used."
Jarrith nods, as this situation has been ever-present since they arrived in this valley. "I think our best situation for you, Tessa... is to join us up on the front-line. The faster we can take our threats out, the less opportunity for us to become critically injured."

He glances at the rest of the party. "I mean... other than the boy... the rest of us all can heal ourselves and have wands of healing if I'm not mistaken? And if one of us doesn't... they should probably run back upstairs and grab Daellin's from him. That way... we can each jump into melee to fight, or in Janis' case throw her massive energy rays... but then back out and heal ourselves as needed. Keeping you back outside of the fight Tessa will just end up depleting your spell energy, with only Ashlyn, myself and the boy taking the brunt of damage. You've got that nice weapon... I'd like to see you use it."

He stands up and stretches, then glances further into the caverns. "Well... shall we continue?"

stonegod

At Janis' prodding, a quick search of the area turns up nothing but a few small plants that attempt to nip at the party---Ashlyn's sword makes quick work the more aggressive. The more she stays down here, the more the plants feel wrong. They all must be tainted by the outer planar influence in the area.

The group proceeds through the rocky maze, eventually climbing a steeper slope onto a small plateau. The plants are less here, and the bare rock shows signs of inhabitation, though none live here now. A few scattered bones, and what appears to be a vivisected wolf, are readily apparent. But the most salient feature of the room is a rough stone column near the center of the chamber. In the light it seems to shed off some dark orchid sparkles as some crystalline matrix is embedded in the rock. About the column is another ceremonial circle, though this one appears in better shape than the one above, though in some way it seems much, much older.

attachment.php

Attachments

• I2-xx.jpg
    I2-xx.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 147

pathfinderq1

First Post
DEFCON 1 said:
Jarrith nods, as this situation has been ever-present since they arrived in this valley. "I think our best situation for you, Tessa... is to join us up on the front-line. The faster we can take our threats out, the less opportunity for us to become critically injured."

He glances at the rest of the party. "I mean... other than the boy... the rest of us all can heal ourselves and have wands of healing if I'm not mistaken? And if one of us doesn't... they should probably run back upstairs and grab Daellin's from him. That way... we can each jump into melee to fight, or in Janis' case throw her massive energy rays... but then back out and heal ourselves as needed. Keeping you back outside of the fight Tessa will just end up depleting your spell energy, with only Ashlyn, myself and the boy taking the brunt of damage. You've got that nice weapon... I'd like to see you use it."

He stands up and stretches, then glances further into the caverns. "Well... shall we continue?"

Tessa looks a bit unsteady at first- though it is difficult to say whether fear or resigned sadness rules her features. But she glances around at the other members of the band, and finds some measure, perhaps, of resolve. After a few moments she nods, unslinging her weaponry. "I've grown far more used to a healer's mindset, but I'm willing to try a more active role, if you think it will help..." She does not sound fully convinced yet, but she seems determined to at least make a good attempt in the unfamiliar role.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Jarrith glances around this new plateau, looking in the shadows for anything else that might jump out at them. When nothing is readily apparent, he strides purposefully into the area and begins searching in earnest. "This looks to be some sort of ceremonial circle... perhaps religious or magical in nature. A summoning circle perhaps? You more studious types would know better than I would."

He goes to the column and begins feeling around for loose rocks, small cubbyholes, anything that might be able to store paraphenalia like the altar back at the church did. "If the old crone was right and this place is indeed where we can find the Symbol of the Raven, this is probably as good a place as any for it to be stored."

As he continues to search, his eyes are drawn inexerably towards the circle. Like everything else in this community, it's giving him the heebie-jeebies. He points over at the circle. "You think we need to try and destroy this thing while we're at it? Not that I really know how to destroy it... other than erasing the lines or something."

stonegod

DEFCON 1 said:
He goes to the column and begins feeling around for loose rocks, small cubbyholes, anything that might be able to store paraphenalia like the altar back at the church did. "If the old crone was right and this place is indeed where we can find the Symbol of the Raven, this is probably as good a place as any for it to be stored."
As Jarrith steps forward into the circle, he experiences a brief resistance, as if pushing through a tarry substance. From the outside, there appears a purplish-white ripple in the air as he move through that is quickly gone.

On the other side, Jarrith feels no different, and after a moment, continues his search. After a few minutes, his inspection turns up nothing of note, though he gets a better look at the crystals that marble the rock. They are a deep purple color that seem have an almost imperceptible light to them that pulses very, very slowly, the heart beat of the near dead. He however, does not identify the crystal. [Search (Take 20)]

James Heard

Explorer
Janis whispers out a spell and begins to inspect the edges of the area where Jarrith seemed to pass through an membrane.

OOC: Casting Detect Magic

Remove ads