stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [OOC]

drothgery

First Post
stonegod said:
But Disable Device and Open Locks are not class skills for the ranger, which is DEFCON's issue, methinks.

True, but the lack of anyone with those skills hasn't hampered my tabletop group much; generally magic and big, strong types with axes (or evasion) have sufficed.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Question to stonegod - what be the prereqs for Enlightened Spirit? If I need to take feats or stuff I just want to know. :)
Knowledge (the planes) 8 ranks, Eldritch Blast 3d6, Any good alignment (which translate as CG if you still want to take warlock levels to make a warlock 10/enlightened spirit 10).

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
stonegod said:
But Disable Device and Open Locks are not class skills for the ranger, which is DEFCON's issue, methinks.
Exactly. I had statted out a possible skill build already, going under a 10 Int / human / rog/clr/rog/clr/rog/stalker build. And that allowed me to max the skills I really wanted (Hide/Move Silent/Tumble/Sense Motive) with some minor advancement in others (Spot/Listen/Gather Info/Search). If I try to add Locks/Device into the build, I'll either be really bad at them, I'll need to not max out the others, or blow a precious feat on Open Minded (which I REALLY don't want to do).

I'll need to crunch more numbers when I'm back at work tomorrow. (And see if I can get over to the bookstore to flip through PHII since it seems like it has some very interesting character options out there).

James Heard

Explorer
What levels are you projecting that we actually reach in this adventure? I suppose that should be a strong consideration too if we're talking about PrCs now...I guess I had it my head that we would maybe hit 8th, but if you're talking about taking a PrC at 11th level I'm wrong?

stonegod

The adventure runs 6-10th nominally, perhaps a bit less with 6 PCs. I don't think anyone was targeting a PrC that late, unless I missed something.

Edit: 6th, not 8th.

Last edited:

stonegod

DEFCON 1 said:
Exactly. I had statted out a possible skill build already, going under a 10 Int / human / rog/clr/rog/clr/rog/stalker build. And that allowed me to max the skills I really wanted (Hide/Move Silent/Tumble/Sense Motive) with some minor advancement in others (Spot/Listen/Gather Info/Search). If I try to add Locks/Device into the build, I'll either be really bad at them, I'll need to not max out the others, or blow a precious feat on Open Minded (which I REALLY don't want to do).
As I said earlier, some tools will help w/ that (magical thieves tools with enhancement bonuses to open/disable surely exist in Eberron). Oils/scrolls of knock and potions (or memorizations) of find traps can also assist. Or you all can assume that running into traps is the cost of doing business.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Another quick question stonegod... you said that our starting gold is 13,000 but no more than half of that can be used on any one item. This then prohibits any character from starting with a +2 weapon (or a +1 with a special ability) because that cost is a minimum of 8000gp.

Is it possible to modify the "no more than half" rule to not include weapons so that it's possible to start with a +2 or a +1 w/special ability? Just wanted to check.

drothgery

First Post
DEFCON 1 said:
Is it possible to modify the "no more than half" rule to not include weapons so that it's possible to start with a +2 or a +1 w/special ability? Just wanted to check.

Same here; I was hoping to have Daellin start with an undead bane longbow (though my working copy @ home has traded the undead bane ability for gloves of dex).

stonegod

Okay, a few notes/answers. I'm addressing specific folks, but the comments apply to everyone:
- James: If you could put a brief description of the non-SRD spells on your sheet, that would be helpful. Non-SRD feat descriptions go in the last section of the sheet (with Name of Special Ability/Quality/Etc).
- Isida: Remember, Battle Caster only allows you to cast in medium armor, not be proficient with it. So Maraat should currently be taking a -3 penalty to hit and active skill checks.
- DEFCON/drogothery: I'll up the ante to 65% (or 8450 gp) for a maximum item.
- All: The advancement section is there to give me breakdown of how you built your character level by level; not one giant entry for the entire character. Makes it easier to double check things.

Remove ads