• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. II [IC]

Stormwind

First Post
Ashlyn nods, "I don't sense any undead on the other side ... we should be good to proceed."

Ashlyn then turns to speak to Jarrith and Tessa, "The Icon of Ravenloft , the silver statue from the alter, is said to be a powerful weapon of the Knight of the Raven for turning back undead. Since it seems that at least some form of undead reside within these walls perhaps it would be prudent if one of you were to carry it?"

s@squ@tch

First Post
Marot the Deadly

He looks at the lady paladin and shrugs his shoulders.

"The only ones with the power to turn the undead would be Jarrith or Tessa."

"So it would not make sense for any of the rest of us to carry the icon."

Stormwind

First Post
Ashlyn turns to look directly at Marot and in a level voice she says, "I believe I was speaking to Jarrith and Tessa."

She then stares at him for a long moment before she asks, with a hint of concern on her voice, "Mentioning the blatantly obvious is not like you ... are you okay? "

s@squ@tch

First Post
Marot the Deadly

"My mistake -- I'm afraid I wasn't paying complete attention at the time..." He shakes his head slightly.

The dark voices in his head have had their toll on the warlock's attention span lately -- with more and more of the voices whispering obscene things that could be done to the Stormhand in her weakened state......

pathfinderq1

First Post
Stormwind said:
Ashlyn nods, "I don't sense any undead on the other side ... we should be good to proceed."

Ashlyn then turns to speak to Jarrith and Tessa, "The Icon of Ravenloft , the silver statue from the alter, is said to be a powerful weapon of the Knight of the Raven for turning back undead. Since it seems that at least some form of undead reside within these walls perhaps it would be prudent if one of you were to carry it?"

Tessa looks at Jarrith for a moment before speaking. "If you would entrust me with such an artifact, I would be honored," she replied to Ashlyn primly. "But I fear that the evil aura of this place may hamper the normal effects of divine energy, even in such a direct fashion..."

Stormwind

First Post
"In this place I fear we will need all the power and abilities that we have and move. It may be that the aura of this place will hamper any attempts to use positive energy to thwart the undead, but we will not know until we try, and perhaps the power that this Icon possesses will be sufficient to counteract that effect."

"If we survive, I would see this Icon and the book you still carry returned to their proper place on the altar in the chapel, but they may yet be necessary to us in overcoming the taint of this dark place. For now it would be folly not to use whatsoever tools we have at hand to the best effect that we might manage."

Ashlyn then breathes in and says softly,
"I would surely entrust you with this Icon, for I cannot use both it and the Symbol ... not while I also wield a weapon. ... And it would make no sense at all not to use it at all."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
A shiver runs through Jarrith's spine after all that has happened. Aggression, anger, fear, paranoia... if the lands below was bad, the castle is many times worse. Only Janis' recovery from the curse and Ashlyn's acquiring of her raven have been small bright spots in an otherwise dismal day.

As they glance out over the balcony to the chapel and altar below, the shifter sighs heavily. "Friends... let us take a moment to remember how we reached this holy place. It might be the only haven in an otherwise unholy hell. If we be chased by the darkness, we should make sure we can make it back here without fail." Khensu then takes a few moments to visualize in his mind the doors and halls they have taken to get to the chapel, so he could retrace his steps back here if need be.

Jarrith meanwhile listens intently to the conversation regarding the Icon of Ravenloft. When Tessa mentions she would be honored to wield it, Jarrith nods and raises his hand in deference. "It's yours, Tessa. I sometimes channel the power of the divine in different ways than the destruction of the undead, so you would probably make the most use of it anyway."

He then moves to the double doors and puts an ear against it to listen for what might be on the other side... and then closes his eyes to concentrate on the presence of evil that might be beyond. (Listen check and Detect Evil at will through the doors)

If he hears or senses nothing, he tells the group that he will open the doors so they can see what lays beyond them.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The Stalker feels for evil beyond the door, and though the wood deadens the sense, he knows at least there is nothing immediately beyond. With no complaints from the others, Jarrith opens the doors wide.

Shadows seem to dance across the high, vaulted ceiling in this wide hall. A low moan rises and falls, intoning sadness and despair. A trick of the wind, likely, though telling in this place. Dimly, in the shadows ahead, can be seen another set of double doors like the first.

Cautiously crossing, the group once again presses open the next door after detecting no immediate threats. Beyond is a dark antechamber that lies between two sets of massive double doors. Between the doors, two alcoves hold grinning skeletons facing each other across the darkness.

[To speed things up, I'll move forward from generally empty halls. If someone want(ed) to do something in them (search, cast a spell, whatever) let me know.]

attachment.php

Attachments

• K-Second02.jpg
    K-Second02.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 157

Remove ads