stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. II [IC]

s@squ@tch

First Post
Marot the Sentinel

"Aye, brother, I am in no mood to meet and greet any more new folk at this time."

At the warning of the hidden guard, Marot whispers silently,"If we can get somewhat close to him without raising too much suspicion to cause him to disclose his location, I could teleport us right behind him for a rude surprise...."

By then the others had caught up and the decision was made to find some stones sticking out of the ground.

Upon first seeing them, Marot's intereste was piqued. He took a hard look at them, scanning for any magical aura's, then once the mad-man started digging with his hands again, his interest waned, and he kept his distance upon his mount and scanned the surrounding area.

Shaking his head slightly,"Any takers on when the next insane outburst happens? I think I heard that the bookies in Sharn placed the over/under at 5 minutes."

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The area around the pillar is laid stone with the circle engraving. Its takes a bit of time to break through it, but with the two paladins and the Stalker taking turns, a hole is soon dug. After several moments, Jarrith hits something solid.

During the entire time, Avron continues rambling to himself.

The revealed metal box is identical to the last, with a seemingly benign scene that, upon closer inspection, reveals something disturbing. Like the other, it is relatively small and tightly shut.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
"Well here we are again. I guess it won't hurt to take a look in this one too, eh?" Jarrith reaches for the clasp to open the box, picking any lock as needed.

stonegod

Jarrith examines the box a moment to determine that it is probably safe to open. However, before he can do so, there is a *foomph* sound at the far end of the clearing.

Out of nowhere, Sergei appears.

The lord is a regal as ever, but his face is darkened by distaste of something. He stands in shade at the edge of the clearing, though the strength of his gaze can be felt from here.

Tsk, tsk. From heroes to stealers from the dead. I guess it is true that Barovia taints even the most noble of hearts. The tone is amused, but there is iron underneath. What I do now, I do so as a favor for all that you have done for me so far. I have but a simple request, one as liegelord that you should grant. Cease this endeavor of yours; it demeans your character and will only end in tears. If you are doing that which I believe, than all it shall earn you is madness and failure. That is to be sure.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Jarrith cradles the box in his arms, and looks around at his compatriots, before turning back to Sergei with innocent eyes. "What is it you believe we are doing, M'Lord?" he asks simply, not giving anything away of their true motives or actions.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Tessa felt a deep chill worm its way down her spine as Sergei made his appearance. She gave a flickering glance at each of their new "allies", to see their reactions- if the Lord's" arrival prompted a smile or a quiver of fear or a simple twitch of curiousity.

She could not, however, bring herself to speak at first- the dance of words was not her arena, and she didn't want to worsen the situation with too blunt a response. She did take a reflexive half-step toward Jarrith's side, tightening their formation just a bit, and her hand clenched white-knuckle tight on the consecrated shield she carried...

stonegod

Jarrith cradles the box in his arms, and looks around at his compatriots, before turning back to Sergei with innocent eyes. "What is it you believe we are doing, M'Lord?" he asks simply, not giving anything away of their true motives or actions.
Sergei cooly eyes the others in the clearing, but if anything draws his attention, he is too circumspect.

Certainly, more than grave-robbing. I would be a poor Lord if I did not study the lore of my land. There is much knowledge in the Castle library, though some of it may not be believed, and all of it will twist a weak mind. I pity those that read them unprepared. He pauses a moment, perhaps in thought. As for this place? A ruin now, but once a place of holy communion, it is written, a temple built by one who was said was purer than than the Curse was dark. She was one with the Sight, a holy gift she used to ward her flock against the evils off the land. She drove back all its minions, so righteous was she. But, in her bosom she nurtured hubris, and its fruit drove her to the heart of the dark, the Castle itself. Her fate is unknown, but none saw her fair countenance again. Sergei looks southwards a moment with a small smile, apparently caught in his tale.

Turning again to the group, the smile fades. So, to answer your question, 'what do I believe you are doing?' I believe nothing. But I know your inquiry into the nature of the ills of the land will only reap the whirlwind. None sofar has looked into the abyss and been the better for it.

Stormwind

First Post
Ashlyn's expression darkens slightly as the man they know as Sergei speaks. She is quiet for a moment and then she steps forward and in an iron tone she responds, "You may be the lord of this land, but you are no Liege of mine. We endeavor no more or less than to assist the folk of this land, as we have done thus far. I would hope that you would aid us in these efforts, as you did before in the village against those werewolves, for many an evil seems to have gathered here. In particular, we faced an astonishing creature not long ago, It was a vampire, of that I am sure, and yet it was able to withstand daylight without harm. It fell before us, but in the manner of vampires it rose again in a gaseous form and headed towards the castle, or so it seemed to me. Perhaps if we work together, with your knowledge of the castle and our strength in numbers we might track down this fiend to it's resting place and lay it to rest? Surely as lord of these lands, you would not wish for a creature like that to continue to prey upon your people?"

Ashlyn looks steadily at the 'Lord' as she awaits his answer.

[Diplomacy: +10 (to convince 'Lord Sergei' to help by verbally backing him into a corner ... at least making it difficult to maintain the facade he seems to be putting on for us)]
[Sense motive: +10 (to discern his motives/feelings towards the group)]

s@squ@tch

First Post
Marot the Passively Disinterested

Marot gently nudges his mount nearer to the others, taking in the lords words along the way, listening quietly to the voices in the back of his head as they digest their true meanings.

OOC: Know (Religion) +13 about the woman the lord is referring to, Aid another (Ashyln) +2 for the diplomacy

Remove ads